Do Christians really believe that ONLY THEY's SAVED?

xTx

Aug 10, 2010
✟11,241.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

As a Christian do you really believe that only Christians can go to heaven?

I was shocked to hear from someone who said is Christian that even though non-Christians are nice people, only Christians can go to heaven!

And, it is the obligation of Christians to preach / do Christians studies with non-Christians.

Is it just that one person who thinks like that or do Christians / are Christians teachings like that?

What do Christians really think about who can go to heaven?

The Bible says no man can come to the Father but through Jesus Christ. In other words..as tough as it might be the truth is that only Christians can go to heaven..because it isnt about how nice people are..because the Bible says that all have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God...and salvation is through repentance and belief in Jesus Christ and not by works that no man should boast.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I was shocked to hear from someone who said is Christian that even though non-Christians are nice people, only Christians can go to heaven!

And, it is the obligation of Christians to preach / do Christians studies with non-Christians.

Is it just that one person who thinks like that or do Christians / are Christians teachings like that?

Personally I only feel that being Christian that I have an advantage in salvation (not an assumption) since I have heard the Gospel and faith requires trying to live by it. The Lord calls us to love God and our neighbor (Matthew 22:36-40 etc.) & to treat others by this understanding (Matthew 7:1-12). St. Paul sums up salvation by grace & to live it doing good works & not boast in Ephesians 2:8-10. Our Lord continually calls us to ask forgiveness of our sins in His prayer (Matthew 6:9-13) while praying for ourselves & others. Since we are not to judge our neighbor, the Bible clearly indicates God will take into account those who through no fault of their own (whether in ignorance, honest misunderstanding, or because it was misrepresented etc.) did not hear the Gospel but did what was good will be saved (see Matthew 12:31-32, Psalm 15, Ezekiel 33:10-20, Daniel 12:1-4, John 5:22-29, Matthew 25:31-46, Romans 2:6-16, Romans 9:14-18 etc.).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
N

NannaNae

"Do Christians really believe that ONLY THEY's SAVED?"
wow this question gets asked so much .
I think I will answer it as best I can. to my best understanding anyway

hum well you can save yourself with that " heaven " you enjoy so much now.. as your own God we all create eternal stuff...
you can save yourself and go to that which you created in this life yourself ,you demi god you..
you are your own God so save yourself! create your own heaven in the after life.. the Egyptians and the ancient Chinese, my cousins the ancient mayan rot in temples of their greatness... but they still rot... and many others tried it , why not YOU? maybe you can save yourself who knows? but to me it looks like it is all vainity .. but hey maybe you are different right ? maybe you won't rot..

the rest of us " christians" have decided we're not so good at being our own god's or our own kings / queens and we don't like what we created in this life so far... so we want to be part of what he created instead! because only he can turn Rot into life with his breath.
since Jesus spit in the dirt and created eyeballs , and thus is the only one who has ever rose from the dead and created life and body parts with his breath and then proved it .. I pick what he can do over anything I can do or anything my ancestors did or tried to do...
, and I will do what he asks of me , so that I can be part of what it is he created and what HE promised he is creating now ! instead of what I or some other human godless god wannabes created in this life for me . I really dont want any part of that .

so you can go to what he created for you if you want him to be your God and you don't want to save yourself ,.

it 's your choice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pawnraider

Nov 22, 2007
✟24,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The Bible states quite clearly that only those who believe on Jesus Christ will be saved: Acts 4:12 “Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.” This verse makes it quite clear what is necessary for saving faith. Note that believing in anyone else in addition to or to the exclusion of Jesus Christ will not work at all. It is in Jesus Christ alone that one must believe.</SPAN>

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is completely true that everyone who is saved is saved through the judicial atonement of Jesus. Without that, nobody could be saved.

But that doesn't mean that everyone must literally know the name of Jesus. The OT saints obviously did not.

Job--who was not connected to the promise of Abraham--did not know the name of Jesus...but he knew God and still realized that he needed a mediator between him and God. So although he didn't know the name of Jesus, he knew he needed Jesus.

Personally I only feel that being Christian that I have an advantage in salvation (not an assumption) since I have heard the Gospel and faith requires trying to live by it. The Lord calls us to love God and our neighbor (Matthew 22:36-40 etc.) & to treat others by this understanding (Matthew 7:1-12). St. Paul sums up salvation by grace & to live it doing good works & not boast in Ephesians 2:8-10. Our Lord continually calls us to ask forgiveness of our sins in His prayer (Matthew 6:9-13) while praying for ourselves & others.

"Membership has its benefits," as AMEX used to say. To be a member of the Body of Christ and to know not only that God exists but that God has a plan--a plan for your benefit--is a great benefit.

Since we are not to judge our neighbor, the Bible clearly indicates God will take into account those who through no fault of their own (whether in ignorance, honest misunderstanding, or because it was misrepresented etc.) did not hear the Gospel but did what was good will be saved (see Matthew 12:31-32, Psalm 15, Ezekiel 33:10-20, Daniel 12:1-4, John 5:22-29, Matthew 25:31-46, Romans 2:6-16, Romans 9:14-18 etc.).

Yes, I think it's pretty clear that God is not neutral but is specifically biased toward salvation (He said so in scripture, twice, that His default position is salvation) and takes the knowledge that a person has into consideration in His judgment.

I would add the book of Jonah. God clearly refused to destroy the Ninevites until they'd heard a witness of Him, and He specified their ignorance as His reason.

I would also add, as counter examples, the stories of Jericho and Sodom. In both cases, we see that they knew enough about God to have responded to Him. Their knowledge is what condemned them.

Jesus said to the Pharisees, "If you were blind, you would be innocent. But because you say, 'We see,' your guilt remains."

Jesus also said:

And that servant who knew his master's will but did not get ready or act according to his will, will receive a severe beating. But the one who did not know, and did what deserved a beating, will receive a light beating.

Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more. Luke 12

When Paul preached to the philosophers on Mars' Hill, he told them that the Unknown God they worshipped in ignorance was, in fact, the true God--they were not unlike Job in that respect. Paul's mission to them was to give them the information they could not gain from their observations of the heavens (Psalm 19, Romans 1): Who God is and what His plans are for them.

I suspect that Job, as well, gained his knowledge of God's existence from observation of the heavens because only with Job did God reference constellations.

Upvote 0
Im not judging anyone... And I wish that people didn't always have to find offense in what Christians believe and make it look like we just hate everyone. There is definitely a heaven and hell.. Whether we like it or not..and unfortunately the truth is that we have to be born again to enter heaven.. This is not hate speech or just being mean...I still love the people around me.. But it's just being honest

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian

This is what Christians believe....

Jesus answered, &#8220;I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." John 14:6

Upvote 0

gord44

Nov 4, 2004
✟27,716.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is completely true that everyone who is saved is saved through the judicial atonement of Jesus. Without that, nobody could be saved.

But that doesn't mean that everyone must literally know the name of Jesus. The OT saints obviously did not.

Job--who was not connected to the promise of Abraham--did not know the name of Jesus...but he knew God and still realized that he needed a mediator between him and God. So although he didn't know the name of Jesus, he knew he needed Jesus.

It was this type of stuff that was one of the things that made me question Christianity and look into the Noahide path and then Islam before giving up on religion altogether. The OT is so disconnected from Christianity. The OT folk were quite content with their worship of ONE God. That much is plain just in the Psalms. When I asked why this was I got the typical 'the OT saints were looking forward to Christ just like we look back on him'. That never satisfied me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

theophilus40

Nov 6, 2012
✟8,807.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Only Christians are saved because being saved is how a person becomes a Christian in the first place.

One of the posts pointed out that in the Old Testament there were people who were saved who didn't know the name of Jesus. They were saved because of their faith in the promises God had made that he would send a redeemer. Perhaps it would be incorrect apply the title "Christian" to them but they were saved by faith in Christ just as we are today.

Upvote 0
Only Christians are saved because being saved is how a person becomes a Christian in the first place.

One of the posts pointed out that in the Old Testament there were people who were saved who didn't know the name of Jesus. They were saved because of their faith in the promises God had made that he would send a redeemer. Perhaps it would be incorrect apply the title "Christian" to them but they were saved by faith in Christ just as we are today.

Exactly. And the bible says that after Jesus death he went to Abraham's bosom to preach to them salvation.. So technically they were christians too

Upvote 0