Do Christians have a duty to vote in elections ?

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes. The U.S. Bishops have a document about "Responsible Citizenship" which addresses those and other questions about our rights and duties as citizens. It would also fall into the social teachings of the Church about citizens having a right to voice their opinions and participate in the political process (voting, for one). Here is an excerpt from the U.S. document, which quotes Pope Francis, VII documents and other Church sources:

In the Catholic Tradition, responsible citizenship is a virtue, and participation in political life is a moral obligation. "People in every nation enhance the social dimension of their lives by acting as committed and responsible citizens" (Evangelii Gaudium, no. 220). The obligation to participate in political life is rooted in our baptismal commitment to follow Jesus Christ and to bear Christian witness in all we do. As the Catechism of the Catholic Church reminds us, "It is necessary that all participate, each according to his position and role, in promoting the common good. This obligation is inherent in the dignity of the human person. . . . As far as possible citizens should take an active part in public life" (nos. 1913-1915).

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think my perspective on voting is different than all of yours. But I am not sure how much I can say without my response becoming a magnet for outside criticism and mockery. I will say there are specific issues that I seriously considered before I chose the candidate I intend to vote for. Yeah, my perspective is definitely different.

Reactions: Hetta
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,732.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We have an election in July to elect the National Government. If we don't vote we get fined. Fifty bucks is the fine I think.
How refreshing. In the United States, the red states are passing voter suppression laws to reduce participation in voting by groups they believe will be less likely to vote for their party.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
In the UK General Election last year none of the candidates represented my basic political beliefs so I didn't vote .

Regarding next month's UK referendum on remaining in or coming out of the EU , many people don't know .
I am one of them .

Come the 23rd of June , if I still don't know , I will not be voting .

I am a reluctant member of the Labour Party . I make my views known via the local press and local website .

At the beginning of May I voted in the local council election . I voted for my cousin who is also my Godson . The irksome thing though was that he is a Tory . But I don't see the need to have national party politics in local government . My vote was for an individual for personal , and not for party political reasons .

There is more to political activity than putting a cross in a box every five years .

I don't have a duty to vote when I have a good reason for not voting .

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't have a duty to vote when I have a good reason for not voting .

Rather than not voting, go to the polling station and formally refuse your ballot. This is officially recorded and sends a message.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In general, democracies work best with citizen participation, so I would consider it a duty.
What democracy?
You mean the right to vote for preselected liars / puppets? :)
I guess trying to be well informed on issues is also a duty.
That's why i don't waste my time on politics. :)

Sorry for being this cynical..

Reactions: tatteredsoul
Upvote 0

tatteredsoul

Feb 4, 2016
New York/Int'l
✟14,624.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There's a presidential election in the USA this year .

Here , in four weeks , 23rd June , there is a referendum to vote on whether the UK remains in or comes out of the EU .

Do Christians have a duty to vote in these elections ?

No.

Be in the world, not of the world. Give Caesar what is due to him, and what is due to God give to Him.

It isn't illegal to abstain, or choose not to vote for the lesser of two, three or ten evils. It certainly isn't a spiritual demerit not to vote in the world. Everyone is running amok like they actually have a part in running the show when, in reality, a bunch of production crew and editors are getting orders from Execs, and the Director(s) - one of them being the Satan, and his Power/Archon/Principality allies. The boss, of course, being the Most High.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tatteredsoul

Feb 4, 2016
New York/Int'l
✟14,624.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What democracy?
You mean the right to vote for preselected liars / puppets? :)That's why i don't waste my time on politics. :)

Sorry for being this cynical..

Cynicism is not the same as being realistic. Don't apologize for not wanting a veil over your face no matter how bitter you think it may make you.

Remember the book God gave John? Sweet as honey to receive/eat! Bitter as heck when actually digested(/thought about comprehended.)

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
Rather than not voting, go to the polling station and formally refuse your ballot. This is officially recorded and sends a message.
That wouldn't apply to me since I have a postal vote .

Before now I have written a short phrase on the ballot paper which expresses some of what I think .

But then it is only seen by the counters and the scrutinizers .

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
That wouldn't apply to me since I have a postal vote .

Before now I have written a short phrase on the ballot paper which expresses some of what I think .

But then it is only seen by the counters and the scrutinizers .

Speaking as a former deputy returning officer in Canada, a spoiled ballot is counted differently than a refused ballot.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Cynicism is not the same as being realistic. Don't apologize for not wanting a veil over your face no matter how bitter you think it may make you.

Remember the book God gave John? Sweet as honey to receive/eat! Bitter as heck when actually digested(/thought about comprehended.)
Alright, but still we're supposed to pray for our governments, not 'flip them off'..

Upvote 0