xTx

Aug 10, 2010
✟11,241.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Do Christians believe in fate? Is it a Christian saying - God's will be done?

Like the 3 wise kings who traveled to find the baby Jesus because of a star they saw in the sky. Isn't that fortune telling? Isn't that fate?

From a few people, I heard they saw a fortune teller and they told me that what the fortune teller said about their fortune was accurate.

So I am being encouraged to see one.

Is it advisable to see a fortune teller? Does it help?

Are our lives fated? Or do we make our own lives?

Or has God decided on how our life will be and we just have to make the best of it by praying to Him for strength around the rough corners in life?

I posted in the Catholic forum but got no replies.

Please let me know from the Christian perspective.

These are some things I never thought about. Hope someone can help. Thx.

theophilus40

Nov 6, 2012
✟8,807.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Originally Posted by xTx
Like the 3 wise kings who traveled to find the baby Jesus because of a star they saw in the sky. Isn't that fortune telling? Isn't that fate?
It was astrology and this is forbidden in the Bible. However it is clear that they didn't have God's word. When they arrived at Jerusalem the scholars who studied the Scriptures told them that the Messiah would be born in Bethlehem and that is how they found him.

God judges our actions on the basis of how much we know about his will. We are not condemned for sins we commit in ignorance. When people who don't know his Word try to find his will he may use methods that are normally condemned to bring them to the truth.

From a few people, I heard they saw a fortune teller and they told me that what the fortune teller said about their fortune was accurate.

Satan can sometimes give false prophets and fortune tellers the ability to accurately foresee some future events.

“If a prophet or a dreamer of dreams arises among you and gives you a sign or a wonder, and the sign or wonder that he tells you comes to pass, and if he says, ‘Let us go after other gods,’ which you have not known, ‘and let us serve them,’ you shall not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams. For the LORD your God is testing you, to know whether you love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul."
(Deuteronomy 13:1-3 ESV)
You should have nothing to do with fortune tellers.

Or has God decided on how our life will be and we just have to make the best of it by praying to Him for strength around the rough corners in life?
God has established rules regarding how we are to live. We must choose whether or not we will obey him. He has revealed his will through the Bible. The best thing you can do is study the Bible and try to put it into practice. Here is a site where you can find help in understanding the Bible:

Back to the Bible - Home __________________
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.

Upvote 0

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,185.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
If you're asking if God has pre-planned our lives - as if He is puppeteering us - then I would have to say no. I don't believe in "fate" or "destiny," & I don't see reason for trying to decipher some sort of alleged "plan" of God for each individual.

But there is a plan for the corporate community of Christians - & for the whole world: the setting right of all things. No more tears, pain, or death. All things made new. This is what the Christian hope fulfilled looks like - & we hope because of the One who defeated death.

As for fortune-telling, I consider it to be a fraud.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟832,705.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do Christians believe in fate? Is it a Christian saying - God's will be done?

I posted in the Catholic forum but got no replies.

Please let me know from the Christian perspective.

These are some things I never thought about. Hope someone can help. Thx.
Do not believe in fate.

Going back to the magi that came from the east: Daniel was in charge of them 400 years earlier and may have prophesied to this group about the signs of the Messiah coming and this information could have been passed down for 400 years. Bottom line is this does not mean they were fortune tellers that got it right.

People hear what they want to hear lots of times. The fortune tell will try to tell them what they want to hear and make it vague enough so it fits almost anything.

Upvote 0

crossroad

Mar 30, 2013
✟194.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Do not believe in fate.

Going back to the magi that came from the east: Daniel was in charge of them 400 years earlier and may have prophesied to this group about the signs of the Messiah coming and this information could have been passed down for 400 years. Bottom line is this does not mean they were fortune tellers that got it right.

People hear what they want to hear lots of times. The fortune tell will try to tell them what they want to hear and make it vague enough so it fits almost anything.
Somewhere in the back of my mind, I have always known horoscopes to be a bad thing. And I never do chain letters. Would that include people who profile for a living? Would that mean they are evil too? Anyway, I have thought a lot about fate here lately. There's been so much weirdness that I can not process it all. But I think I have come to the conclusion that maybe God has been here all along and I have not seen it in the little things. For example, my youngest one's name. Somehow he shares the name of someone in the old testament and someone in the new which was also my dad's name. It was not done on purpose - I swear on my dad's grave. My spouse and I were not of faith. It's just weird. I have just summed it up is that he has been here all the time and I just have never noticed.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,484,642.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do not believe in fate.

I would strongly agree that the magi were already looking for signs of the fulfillment of Daniel's prophesy. They were the "scientists" of their day, and would be highly interested in finding out whether he was accurate.

Is it possible that God would provide a sign in heaven to point out the times and the way of the fulfillment of His prophesy? Scripture does not deny that possibility. This is not the same thing as divination.

Upvote 0