Freedom
✟16,988.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Labor
I speak Greek fluently, because my parents are Greek and sent me off to Greek school from a young age (yes, just like in My Big Fat Greek Wedding). I've also spent time in Greece as a child and have visited.

I'd like to try to get some of that native accent in but it just isn't the same unless you spend time there and speak it every day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arbo126

Dec 4, 2010
on the frozen tundra
✟15,189.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I took Spanish and German in high school, but never become proficient at either. For awhile I used what I learned in German class as I worked with some workers from that country. But at this point, if asked, I'd have trouble speaking or reading another language.

I took one year of Spanish in high school, and I'm amazed how many words I can recognize twenty-something years later. Now if I could only remember what they meant. :)

Upvote 0

Azureknight 773

IXA the Knight Kamen Rider
Apr 26, 2009
Canmanico, Valencia, Bohol
✟44,295.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well, I on the other hand speaks English as my second language due to the fact that I am a Filipino. I spoke my native language first here in the Philippines which is Filipino in the form of the Visayan dialect. Yes indeed, example "Unsay ngan nimo?" which is "what is your name?", but in actaul Filipino (as standardized) "Anong pangalan mo?".

Other than English, I do speak a few Chinese (Yep! I am a half Filipino and Chinese), Japanese (thanks be to anime, tokusatsu, games, music and doujin circles) , Hebrew, Greek (because of the Bible that taught me some of those) and Latin (because of being a Roman Catholic).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

upamountain

... geographically, not spiritually...
Dec 9, 2010
✟15,421.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Studied French for 5 years in school and can barely ask for a loaf of bread.
3 semesters of Arabic study living in an Arabic speaking country got me able to survive, converse and follow the gist of most conversations. Got pretty fluent, but with many gaps in my vocab.
I can read anything if it has the vowel markings, but that's because it's phonetic - don't ask me what it means and don't take the vowel markings away!
Have moved to a different Arabic speaking country with a different dialect and now function mainly in English, so sadly my Arabic has suffered, but I did understand almost everything in the last sermon I heard, so that gave me some encouragement.

Upvote 0