Earth
✟19,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Some believe in a literal place, some believe that it's a process you go through at some point after death, others believe it doesn't exist.

Several of Paul's letters, as well as references in the Apocrypha, lend credit to there being a state of purification after death -- but as to the exact specifics (when, where, how) I don't think we can be entirely sure.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Anglicans will agree that we do not go immediately to heaven or hell. As we are a Creedal church, we believe in the Second Coming, Resurrection, and Judgment as stated in the Nicene Creed.

We will descend to the dead, just as Jesus Himself did. And, just as Jesus Himself did, we will be raised from death in the Resurrection at the Second Coming to be Judged.

Our continued regeneration will continue while awaiting for said "Last Day," so there is definitely a purification aspect to this period of waiting.

What many of us will disagree with is that, once we have finished our purification, we go immediately to heaven. We continue to wait, for our purification can only be finished once Jesus Himself declares us pure, not just by a particular judgment. Only the True Judge can declare us truly fit for heaven or hell.

In all other aspects, then yes; we Anglicans do believe in "Purgatory." The name itself does suggest a primary function of the place souls go to upon death, so it isn't an inaccurate name for it. Personally though, I call it "Sheol," which is its ancient name.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Cary.Melvin said:
Do Anglicans believe in Purgatory?

I have heard that C.S. Lewis (famous Anglican) did believe in Purgatory. Was he typical of what an Anglican might believe on the subject? If so what goes on in Anglican Purgatory?

Thanks,

In fact, I don't think that there is any doctrine that is not believed by some Anglican.

That is why asking "Do Anglicans..." is always going to lead to a muddled answer. The Church itself doesn't, and its official statements don't support the idea, and the Book of Common Prayer doesn't give any credence to Purgatory; but what "Anglicans believe" can be just about anything. I know Anglicans in good standing who believe that the church should be under the Papacy, for instance, so I couldn't say that even that most reliable point of difference would be ruled out absolutely if the question were "Do Anglicans believe in the Pope?"

Upvote 0

cenimo

Jesus Had A 12 Man A-Team
Mar 17, 2002
To your right
Visit site
✟10,182.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From the 39 Articles of Religion

22. Purgatory
The Roman doctrine concerning purgatory, pardons, worshipping, and adoration (both of images and of relics), and the invocation of saints is a futile thing foolishly conceived and grounded on no evidence of Scripture. On the contrary this teaching is repugnant to the Word of God.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.