Do American churches/Christians even know how to witness anymore?

Musician4Jesus

Sep 7, 2006
✟11,215.00
Faith
Baptist
I ask this because a very disturbing trend I see with American churches/pastors with witnessing is where you're being saved from (the doctrine of hell) has been omitted

The main reasons I can think of this has happened, there's an unwritten rule that you don't talk about anything that has the potential to offend/intimidate/make others uncomfortable; sadly this has carried over with witnessing too. The other problem I notice is there's this philosophy of making feel loved/welcomed/accepted and we've become so obsessed with accomplishing this, that you don't talk about anything 'heavy/serious/uncomfortable'. There's nothing wrong with these things in and of themselves, the problem is when by doing so the integrity of the gospel/Bible is compromised in the process.

The most common reason I've heard with why the doctrine of hell is omitted, is because it's 'not nice to hear'. I understand this but the reality is sin isn't nice, neither is hell, and neither is what Jesus went through. Jesus going through excruciating pain, being tortured, sacrificing everything, being condemned and humiliated NONE of that stuff is nice either.

We're called to share the message of salvation, that means preaching it in its entirety, not preaching a watered-down version of it because it's not nice like people want to hear. The truth is that hell (being saved from it) is as much a part of the message of salvation is as much a part of the message of salvation as the wonderful parts of it are.To not share the message of the gospel in its entirety is making a mockery of what Christ did on the cross.

I'm not advocating to preach a 'fire and brimstone message' however the truth of the matter the truth of the matter is that the doctrine of hell, no matter how nicely/tactfully you try to address it isn't going to be an easy aspect of salvation to discuss.

The other thing I want to address is how can you expect the message of salvation to possibly change a person's life/make an impact on their life if they don't even know not only what they've been saved from (sin) but also WHERE they've been saved from?

Last edited:

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I ask this because a very disturbing trend I see with American churches/pastors with witnessing is where you're being saved from (the doctrine of hell) has been omitted

The main reasons I can think of this has happened, there's an unwritten rule that you don't talk about anything that has the potential to offend/intimidate/make others uncomfortable; sadly this has carried over with witnessing too. The other problem I notice is there's this philosophy of making feel loved/welcomed/accepted and we've become so obsessed with accomplishing this, that you don't talk about anything 'heavy/serious/uncomfortable'. There's nothing wrong with these things in and of themselves, the problem is when by doing so the integrity of the gospel/Bible is compromised in the process.

The most common reason I've heard with why the doctrine of hell is omitted, is because it's 'not nice to hear'. I understand this but the reality is sin isn't nice, neither is hell, and neither is what Jesus went through. Jesus going through excruciating pain, being tortured, sacrificing everything, being condemned and humiliated NONE of that stuff is nice either.

We're called to share the message of salvation, that means preaching it in its entirety, not preaching a watered-down version of it because it's not nice like people want to hear. The truth is that hell (being saved from it) is as much a part of the message of salvation is as much a part of the message of salvation as the wonderful parts of it are.To not share the message of the gospel in its entirety is making a mockery of what Christ did on the cross.

I'm not advocating to preach a 'fire and brimstone message' however the truth of the matter the truth of the matter is that the doctrine of hell, no matter how nicely/tactfully you try to address it isn't going to be an easy aspect of salvation to discuss.

The other thing I want to address is how can you expect the message of salvation to possibly change a person's life/make an impact on their life if they don't even know not only what they've been saved from (sin) but also WHERE they've been saved from?
Any preaching that does not either offend or convict is not the gospel. (1 Corinthians 1:23)

Upvote 0

UnpopularOpinion

Oct 18, 2020
Wroclaw
✟13,398.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

We are promised to have churches apostate in last days , even go back to things like gnostic teachings and meditiation , overall doctrines of devils.

Yea not many churches preach the gospel nowdays and it won't become better.

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Musician4Jesus

Sep 7, 2006
✟11,215.00
Faith
Baptist
I've had a question I've been wondering about for a while regarding this:

If you're not preaching the message of salvation in its entirety, are you truly fulfilling the commandment Jesus talked about with the great commission? Are you truly witnessing if you're not sharing the message of the gospel in its entirety?

The other question I have is you're not supposed to add nor take away from the Bible. If you omit parts of the message of salvation, which is a core part of the mess

Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Musician4Jesus

Sep 7, 2006
✟11,215.00
Faith
Baptist

If you're not preaching the message of salvation in its entirety, are you truly fulfilling the commandment Jesus talked about with the great commission? Are you truly witnessing if you're not sharing the message of the gospel in its entirety?

The other question I have is you're not supposed to add nor take away from the Bible. If you omit parts of the message of salvation, which is a core part of the Bible, aren't you taking away from the Bible? If you're taking away from the Bible isn't that a form of blasphemy?

Upvote 0

Musician4Jesus

Sep 7, 2006
✟11,215.00
Faith
Baptist

The other question I have is you're not supposed to add nor take away from the Bible. If you omit parts of the message of salvation, which is a core part of the message of the Bible aren't you taking away from the Bible? Would that be considered a form of blasphemy?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,740.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello Friends. A slight aside. What do you think of gospel tracts? Are they an effective way of sharing the gospel? I have a stack of tracts that I haven't had the opportunity to put out recently, but I'm planning to again as the virus lifts off. God Bless :)

Upvote 0