LynneClomina

Jan 31, 2004
Canada
Visit site
✟17,768.00
Faith
Calvinist
Matthew 5:
27 "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not commit adultery.' 28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. .........31 "Furthermore it has been said, 'Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.' 32 But I say to you that whoever divorces his wife for any reason except sexual immorality causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery.

well, first Jesus's words here tell us, that we all probably have committed adultery. so there's OT grounds for divirce for ALL of us. but then, He goes and says that divorce causes adultery.

Eze 6:9 Then those of you who escape will remember Me among the nations where they are carried captive, because I was crushed by their adulterous heart which has departed from Me, and by their eyes which play the harlot after their idols; they will loathe themselves for the evils which they committed in all their abominations.

any unfaithfulness was adultery towards God. and what did God do? in Hosea, it says that the bridegroom will take back his adulterous bride over and over and over again.

so it's possible that divorce is no grounds at all. :)

spousal abuse? child abuse? LEAVE. divorce or no divorce, just leave. seek God about a possible divorce.... and be prepared to live life as a eunich. :eek: married is married is married, imperfect sinning people or... well, more imperfect, sinning people. :) cus there isnt no one that does good (or "is" good?), no, not a one.

i'm still studying on this one. :sorry:

Upvote 0

jayswife29

Jun 26, 2003
n.y.
Visit site
✟454.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know I wont win any popularity points with this, but no where does it say in the Bible that abuse is grounds for divorce. While I dont recommend anyone staying in an abusive relationship, especially if you have kids, I do recommend making sure you are equally yoked with your partner. If you are a believer and your spouse isnt and they want out, you are allowed to end it, but if you are both believers, then,although it would be easier for us to accept the bible if it said what we wanted to hear, you really need to go to a pastor for counsel on what to do.

Upvote 0

Ainesis

Leaning on Him
May 28, 2004
Visit site
✟3,464.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
LynneClomina said:
Matthew 5:
27 "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not commit adultery.' 28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. .........31 "Furthermore it has been said, 'Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.' 32 But I say to you that whoever divorces his wife adultery; and whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery. for any reason except sexual immorality causes her to commit

well, first Jesus's words here tell us, that we all probably have committed adultery. so there's OT grounds for divirce for ALL of us. but then, He goes and says that divorce causes adultery.

Eze 6:9 Then those of you who escape will remember Me among the nations where they are carried captive, because I was crushed by their adulterous heart which has departed from Me, and by their eyes which play the harlot after their idols; they will loathe themselves for the evils which they committed in all their abominations.

any unfaithfulness was adultery towards God. and what did God do? in Hosea, it says that the bridegroom will take back his adulterous bride over and over and over again.

so it's possible that divorce is no grounds at all. :)

spousal abuse? child abuse? LEAVE. divorce or no divorce, just leave. seek God about a possible divorce.... and be prepared to live life as a eunich. :eek: married is married is married, imperfect sinning people or... well, more imperfect, sinning people. :) cus there isnt no one that does good (or "is" good?), no, not a one.

i'm still studying on this one. :sorry:
Dear LynneClomina,

I too am still studying this one. One thing that comes to mind in reading your comments though is Isaish Chapter 50. Here God states that He has divorved Israel, although later He states that He will take Israel back if they repent.

There is also the case (can't remember where right now) when God commanded that the Israelites divorce the heaten women they had married.

This is truly a topic that is not black and white in my mind. Clearly God hates divorce, and this should help us to better appreciate the type of faithful God we have. Yet, I think is is a personal choice that must be taken up with God.

Just my thoughts!

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
Divorce is never "OK," scripturally. However, there are times when it may be allowed or recognized because there is no better option.

In large part, this turns on whether or not you believe that in every situation there is a non-sinful option available. I do not think there always is. The classic example is Jephthah in Judges 11. He made a rash vow, and found himself forced to sacrifice his daughter. Once he made the vow (which was unwise, but probably not somehting Jephthah realized at the time was sinful) he set himself on a course that led to a situation where no option available was free of sin. I have found myself in similar situations (not involving adultery or human sacrifice, but that doesn't matter) where in good faith I did something unwise that later proved to take away any option that was not sinful. It is also possible for one (like Dietrich Bonhoeffer) to find oneself in such a dilemma because of the actions of others.

So, WRT the OP, what does "acceptable" mean?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.