Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
This Forum is a place for respectful discussion and debate of political issues, by Roman Catholics, in the context of the Roman Catholic Faith. All posts within this faith community must adhere to theChristian Forums Sitewide Rules.

This forum is part of OBOB, and as such, the OBOB Statement of Faith applies to this forum. If you are not a member of this faith group, you may not debate issues or teach against it's theology. You may only post in fellowship. Again, active promotion of views contrary to the established teachings of this group by non members are not allowed in this forum.

We seem to have forgotten this one. This isn't a general politics forum. Issues need to be discussed in light of the Catholic faith. Otherwise, there's no point to this forum even existing.

We are going to start moving threads that are purely political, that don't have to do with Catholicism, to General Politics.

Rules for this Forum

I. Address the post and not the poster
  • Address the context of the post and do not specifically attack a member or group of members.
  • Goading posts are intentionally or unintentionally baiting other members into responding with a flame.
  • Depending on context, the use of smilies may come across as flaming or goading.
  • It is not a flame for a member to disagree with another member's argument or opinion on a specific topic.
When you Disagree:

Members who participate in the OBOB General Politics forum are expected to treat one another with courtesy and respect at all times, ESPECIALLY when you disagree with each other.
  • When you disagree, address the context of the post and not the poster.
  • When you disagree with someone's position, you should post evidence and supporting statements for your position. This policy, sometimes referred to as "X means Y because of Z", must be followed especially when posting claims that are widely considered to be controversial.
  • When you disagree and you find yourself becoming frustrated and angry, step away from the computer and give yourself time to cool down.
  • Always proofread your post before hitting the "Reply" button to make sure you have responded with courtesy and respect.

II. No flaming opposing political ideological views
  • Always remember that you are first and foremost brothers and sisters in Christ, regardless of your personal political ideology.
  • If you would be offended by a word or phrase applied to your political viewpoint, then someone of the opposing viewpoint would be offended as well.
  • Do not identify a group of members or a political viewpoint with a derogatory or inflammatory label.
  • Do not use words or phrases which other members have indicated are offensive and derogatory.
  • Words and phrases which have a negative connotation in Scripture should not be used to describe a member, group of members, or a political viewpoint.
  • Absolutely no snarkiness (subtle or otherwise) in posts in this forum.

III. Off-topic threads
  • Threads that derail from the OP may be subject to a mod hat; a clean-up of off-topic posts, or a split into a separate thread.
  • If a thread has run it's course staff may chose to permanently close the thread.
  • Report major thread derailments and refrain from reporting individual off-topic posts which do not cause a thread derailment.

IV. Additional Rules
  • CF considers the term "tea bagger" to be a violation of the vulgarity rule. The predominant use of the term is one of insult to members that identify with tea parties.
  • Divisive, disruptive, and demeaning comments directed towards other members or groups of members will result in violations.

The wise in heart are called discerning, and pleasant words promote instruction. --Proverbs 16:21

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.-- Psalm 19:14

I think it's pretty clear a lot of that isn't followed. There's snarkiness and goading everywhere. There's flaming opposing political ideologies. There's addressing the poster instead of the post.

So my question is, what exactly is "Catholic" about this forum? What justifies it's continued existence? Remember when we brought it back and said that the members would need to do their part in keeping it from degenerating into the chaos that caused it to be closed in the first place? Do you believe that the members have upheld their end of that deal?

Don't name names or specific grievances against specific posters. This is about the OBOB Politics forum as a whole.

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I try to.
Doing my best.

Political life is part of our existence.
With religious freedoms at risk - it's always good to be informed.
IMHO.

Dont punish all for the few.

Reactions: benedictaoo
Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I try to.
Doing my best.

Political life is part of our existence.
With religious freedoms at risk - it's always good to be informed.
IMHO.

Dont punish all for the few.
It's not just a few though. Out of the threads on the first page, thirteen are not about politics and faith. They're just politics.

And the flaming, that's out of control, and it crosses political aisles. That could be helped if we put this forum under Emergency Protocol. That would mean bringing back the flaming bans.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It's not just a few though. Out of the threads on the first page, thirteen are not about politics and faith. They're just politics.

And the flaming, that's out of control, and it crosses political aisles. That could be helped if we put this forum under Emergency Protocol. That would mean bringing back the flaming bans.
Flaming aside - all issues of politics are important for our life in this country. [and or other countries if they prefer discussion]
IMHO.
I am not sure, but i thought this area for general political issues for Catholics to discuss without entering the other 'anything goes' section.

Added - in the general OBOB we talk about general issues, too.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
honestly i think if you'll just be patient all this will sort itself out after the election is over.
otherwise it's like taking a cake out of the oven before the timer beeps;
the cake falls and all you have left is something not fit to eat.

and whose idea was this anyway?????

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We seem to have forgotten this one. This isn't a general politics forum. Issues need to be discussed in light of the Catholic faith. Otherwise, there's no point to this forum even existing.

We are going to start moving threads that are purely political, that don't have to do with Catholicism, to General Politics.

I think it's pretty clear a lot of that isn't followed. There's snarkiness and goading everywhere. There's flaming opposing political ideologies. There's addressing the poster instead of the post.

So my question is, what exactly is "Catholic" about this forum? What justifies it's continued existence? Remember when we brought it back and said that the members would need to do their part in keeping it from degenerating into the chaos that caused it to be closed in the first place? Do you believe that the members have upheld their end of that deal?

Don't name names or specific grievances against specific posters. This is about the OBOB Politics forum as a whole.
I think it should exist as long as things are presented and discussed in light of the Catholic faith. I will not go to general politics. I like discussing things with a faithbased perspective and handling things in accordance to what the Church teaches. The secular partisan crapola can be had anywhere. This forum is needed but only if it is used correctly. There are not many forums like this. We just need to learn how to use it properly.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged

I'm ok with that, not like it matters that I am lol. Just as long as nobody gets it in the rear for something posted before the implementation of the emergency protocol.

Reactions: benedictaoo
Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2015
✟25,183.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think it should exist as long as things are presented and discussed in light of the Catholic faith.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Not that I have a say in these matters, but it's what I expect and hope for.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We could really be unique here if we wanted to be.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Not that I have a say in these matters, but it's what I expect and hope for.

Reactions: seekingsolace
Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I'm confused though. I specifically remember us being told that, when this forum was taken away, political threads having to deal with Catholicism could go on the main forum, and then when this came back, they still could go on the main forum, but everything else had to be posted here.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
We could really be unique here if we wanted to be.
from what i've seen in a quick perusal of other congregational forums, we are indeed unique in wanting to discuss politics from a faith-based viewpoint.

maybe that's the problem! it looks like we Catholics are the only ones who relate politics to faith.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Faith first. Politics last. Partisan politics never. It really should be about Catholics discussing how to navigate in the secular world that most aligns with their faith. Everything in this forum should begin and end with faith. We are not just Catholics in the pew. But every day. We are supposed to
operate according to faith. Not just by what we think as a free agent.
from what i've seen in a quick perusal of other congregational forums, we are indeed unique in wanting to discuss politics from a faith-based viewpoint.

maybe that's the problem! it looks like we Catholics are the only ones who relate politics to faith.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
What are the rules under the Emergency Protocol? Never heard of it.
It varies according to the specific needs of the forum in question. Usually it has short term bans for flaming violations and sometimes has the caveat that only the flamed member can report flames against themselves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
honestly i think if you'll just be patient all this will sort itself out after the election is over.
otherwise it's like taking a cake out of the oven before the timer beeps;
the cake falls and all you have left is something not fit to eat.

I do expect it will get better after the election.

and whose idea was this anyway?????
The admins are discussing it. Nothing had been decided. That's one reason this thread is here. Maybe if the forum shapes up on its own, we won't have to step in and do something about it.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm ok with that, not like it matters that I am lol. Just as long as nobody gets it in the rear for something posted before the implementation of the emergency protocol.
No, it wouldn't be retroactive.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm confused though. I specifically remember us being told that, when this forum was taken away, political threads having to deal with Catholicism could go on the main forum, and then when this came back, they still could go on the main forum, but everything else had to be posted here.
If it's a bishop's statement on an issie, or something authoritative from the Church, or abortion-related, it can go in the main forum, but could also be moved if it devolved into pure left vs right politics

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

But when the discussion is "Obama is the devil and his wife is fat and ugly" or "Trump is Hitler", that's not a Catholicism-centered discission. In fact it rather turns people off of Catholicism to see us behaving like that.

And no, those are not made-up examples. I've seen those posts almost word-for-word here.

Reactions: s_gunter
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.