Different theology

Paul K

Dec 9, 2013
✟8,538.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I need some advice. I found myself facing an impasse when it comes to my belief and my other friend's belief. we both are co-leaders for church group, and he discovered a new (not new but old, but new to many people) doctrine. We had discussed this topic and I did further research and discovered this doctrine to be borderline in error. I tried to discuss this with him but He mentioned that if I read the same books He did, then we can continue this discussion. I chose not to read his books because the books are biased to favour this doctrine. I chose to study the bible carefully and read commentary that discussed the biblical view on this new doctrine. I tried to clarify this with him, but he decided to say that He will no longer discuss anything until I read the books He had read.

So my question is this, I have decided to leave him alone, and pray for him. Is this the correct method?

This had been a very hard struggle of mine, allowing him to continue his thread of thinking however wrong it may be. and finding myself unable to discuss any other topics in regards to the bible and any uncertainity I have when I read the bible.

I am sure if I told you the doctrine, I will get a lot of "backlash" and a lot of "you're wrong, he is right" type of replies. But the problem is not this, the problem is I am trying to discern the truth, from God's words, not man. The doctrine in question is preterism.

I do not want any arguments, or insults, or any let downs. I expect maturity and respect.

Thank you.
P

Reactions: Grafted In

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I believe your commitment to stay with the scriptures is the right path. However, essential Christian doctrine covers basic truths about God, man, and salvation. Eschatology is not something to divide over, it's secondary stuff that we can agree to disagree on and still live in harmony. There are 4 basic views of "last things" - Amillenialism (of which I think preterism is part of this), Postmillenialism, Premillenialism, and Pretribulationalism. If you study the various views from just about any Christian writer, you will find that every one of these views has some breakdown point, where scriptures are made to mean something different than the plain meaning in the context. Such is the nature of using mostly figurative and symbolic literature to construct a literal meaning of apocalyptic scripture. The apostle John wrote (2 Jn): "If anyone goes too far and does not adhere to our teaching, do not let them into your house, lest you participate in their evil deeds." But it seems reasonable to believe that John was talking about essential Christian doctrine on God and man's salvation that most of the New Testament is about.
TD:)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If you choose to stay with the policy you have adopted so far, there's nothing wrong with that. However, if you want to get through to him and keep the friendship strong, I'd suggest reading his book. You can consider it doing him a favor, but it will also strengthen your ability to talk sense to him because you will see what the arguments are that have impressed him, and you will have the ammunition to rebut them. If you can't point to the shortcomings in the book's information, it will be difficult to persuade him that there's anything wrong with them.

Reactions: Grafted In
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I need some advice. I found myself facing an impasse when it comes to my belief and my other friend's belief. we both are co-leaders for church group, and he discovered a new (not new but old, but new to many people) doctrine. We had discussed this topic and I did further research and discovered this doctrine to be borderline in error. I tried to discuss this with him but He mentioned that if I read the same books He did, then we can continue this discussion. I chose not to read his books because the books are biased to favour this doctrine. I chose to study the bible carefully and read commentary that discussed the biblical view on this new doctrine. I tried to clarify this with him, but he decided to say that He will no longer discuss anything until I read the books He had read.

So my question is this, I have decided to leave him alone, and pray for him. Is this the correct method?

This had been a very hard struggle of mine, allowing him to continue his thread of thinking however wrong it may be. and finding myself unable to discuss any other topics in regards to the bible and any uncertainity I have when I read the bible.

I am sure if I told you the doctrine, I will get a lot of "backlash" and a lot of "you're wrong, he is right" type of replies. But the problem is not this, the problem is I am trying to discern the truth, from God's words, not man. The doctrine in question is preterism.

I do not want any arguments, or insults, or any let downs. I expect maturity and respect.

Thank you.
P

Hi Paul,

Because there is such a diversity of views on Christian Eschatology, and if you're brother in Christ still holds to Trinitarian theology, as well as expresses his faith with Christ-like compassion, then this issue should be tertiary (i.e. of 3rd importance). It's not an issue of salvation, which is of 1st importance, and it's not an issue of fellowship, which is of second importance. You both can--and should--agree to disagree, and just let it go. :cool:

If you feel you can't let it go, then I suggest that you abide with Albion's advice above.

Peace
2PhiloVoid

Reactions: theniceiceman
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well. You can agree to disagree, and let it go.
Or you can read the books he suggested and then say why you disagree with them in light of what it says in the Bible.
But maybe limit your reading to one or two books, otherwise he might try to push a whole library on you and you'll never get to the bottom.
But if he's suggesting you read say two books, give him two books (not including the Bible) that show him where he's wrong.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wrong Doctrines can broken down into various groups.

A There are some that just seem to be annoyances, but do not really affect our walk.

B Others may hinder a proper walk and growth in the Lord.

C Yet others are absolutely dangerous in that they may stop people from coming to faith or may destroy the faith of those already in faith.

Group A I would just leave alone, and group C I would ALWAYS confront. Group B must be decided on a case-by-case basis. Just how bad is the fallout of this doctrine?

====================================================

I would put preterism into group B; since it will not preclude people from coming to faith, but WILL distort understanding of key biblical passages, thus inhibiting proper growth.

Have you sat down with the pastor or elder board to discuss this issue? It is improper to be teaching something within a congregation that conflicts with the doctrinal stance of that congregation.

Upvote 0

Paul K

Dec 9, 2013
✟8,538.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
we both have agreed to disagree. I respect his decision in whatever he believe in. Now heres the conundrum, the elder board wants us to be more transparent and open as to what we feel, and as to what we discuss to continue our growth in Christ. This prevents us from doing that because of what he believe in, and what I believe in, are in conflict.

P

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Now heres the conundrum, the elder board wants us to be more transparent and open as to what we feel, and as to what we discuss to continue our growth in Christ.
Well, there you go. The Board wants you to be "more transparent and open;" so they need to be made aware of this obstacle to that transparency. Let them deal with it.

Upvote 0

theniceiceman

May 8, 2015
✟15,762.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with what others have said. I call these specific, nit-picking beliefs 'nitty gritty'. Jesus gave us two commandments: love God and love others. That's what we should focus on. The rest is just secondary. Yes, some things should obviously be discouraged (I mean, I wouldn't be okay with someone who said they were going to go out and kill children in love to ensure that they would go to Heaven, rather than risking Hell--obviously), but as far as the nitty gritty beliefs...I'd say do what you did, agree to disagree. I think being transparent and open about your disagreement could actually be a good thing, if presented well. You could say 'I believe this, my friend beliefs that, and yet we still love one another and want to serve Christ'.

That's a paraphrase, but you know what I mean ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Thank you.
P

Maybe you should read the books.

You may learn something and this will give you the ability to discuss his beliefs.

Upvote 0

Paul K

Dec 9, 2013
✟8,538.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
John D.

Thank you, but I've spent a lot of time doing research on the topic. I am not going to read the books he want me to read because I've already made up my mind and belief in regards to what he believe in. Truth be told, I prefer to read the bible, and listen to what the holy spirit is guiding me to. So far, I don't have peace in terms of this preterism belief and according to the bible, God is not an author of confusion.

P

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
In terms of eschatology, I read many books with different points of view but checked each one with scripture. I dont think it can harm to read a few.

If they are silly and dont line up with scripture then you can say so. I think not reading them shows you not that confident about your stance. You love your brother in christ, well...
If you dont have time to read then fair enough but treat others how you would like to be treated. It may be that they missed something in the bible all along.

For the record I dont subscribe to any ism.
Check that you are reading the same version bible as your co-leader though. It could be they are different, and thats where you are getting into disagreements. At least read the same translation version.

Upvote 0