Dec 27, 2009
✟651,933.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
What do you think distinguishes Christianity from other religions?

Here in Sweden clearly the fact that Christian holidays are public holidays.

Today for example, it is "Ascension day", the day off paid, otherwise special rates.

Reactions: Eudaimonist
Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Here in Sweden clearly the fact that Christian holidays are public holidays.

I wouldn't have thought of that one since it's not the case here in the U.S. Do you feel Christian holidays become secularized because they're public holidays? That has certainly happened with Christmas in the U.S.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Turn the other cheek maybe..

Extreme form of outer love, although maybe weak on the inner love. Psychologically such a approach to life by the masses might make the world a better place. Although it shouldn't be followed to the bitter end. Especially when dealing with a sociopath with no empathy. He/she won't be swayed.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Interesting. Most of the unbelievers I speak to claim Christianity doesn't have any unique moral principles.
Well I am not sure if there is anything new under the sun, but some of the writings seem pretty fresh and thought provoking. I don't have the personality to live the turn the other cheek lifestyle, but I can respect others who do (within reason..).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,933.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
I wouldn't have thought of that one since it's not the case here in the U.S. Do you feel Christian holidays become secularized because they're public holidays? That has certainly happened with Christmas in the U.S.

Don't really know what to say, religion is not such a hot topic here,
I think generally people like to keep it to themselves,
I cannot speak for others, but I know many of the middle aged and upwards
are content with, "Barnatro" an old "evergreen"
But as said, who knows what people are thinking.

As for Church attendence, I don't know,

Barnatro,

Upvote 0

gord44

Nov 4, 2004
✟27,716.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting. Most of the unbelievers I speak to claim Christianity doesn't have any unique moral principles.

It's probably because turning the other cheek isn't popular with many Christians anymore. If it was a more common occurrence then many unbelievers might have to acknowledge some unique moral principles to the religion.

Reactions: SnowyMacie
Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's probably because turning the other cheek isn't popular with many Christians anymore.

Yeah it's too radical for standard human nature. Honestly I think its only successful under a somewhat masochistic mindset. Lol.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It's probably because turning the other cheek isn't popular with many Christians anymore. If it was a more common occurrence then many unbelievers might have to acknowledge some unique moral principles to the religion.

It seems that would be more an accusation that Christians aren't living the principle rather than a denial of uniqueness. Still, I don't see that Jesus demanded extreme surrender simply for the sake of surrender. There is a greater purpose to the principle, which is stated in part at the end of Matthew 5 - but also in the greater whole of the Sermon on the Mount.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

A lot depends no how turn the other cheek is interpreted. Judaism doesn't teach that we are unable to defend ourselves, but we're supposed to help our enemies in many instances including in Proverbs giving an enemy food.

I tend to give Christianity the idea of not responding to violence with violence. I don't agree with that idea at all, but I'll give it to you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,930.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
I tend to give Christianity the idea of not responding to violence with violence.
Our ventures into wars in Iraq and Afghanistan with almost zero push back from the Christian sector shows that not to be the case. There's that, and the overwhelming Christian support for an ever larger military who's function is to kill.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I tend to give Christianity the idea of not responding to violence with violence. I don't agree with that idea at all, but I'll give it to you.

I suppose it depends on what one means by "violence". I take that word as meaning something vengeful, hateful, and intent on destruction. In that regard I think Christianity does say not to return violence with violence (though I don't know if it's the only religion to say that). If, however, you mean the use of force for the purpose of protection, I'm not aware of a Biblical passage that would restrict such a thing ... again, unless we're talking about the greater purposes of redemption.

The focus on a man/God named Jesus as a savior.

I would say that's the heart of it.

Upvote 0