Did the Apostle Paul pluck a "soul" away from Jesus and out of heaven?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soon Rev 22:11-12

Feb 26, 2005
✟760.00
Faith
Christian
Acts 20:8-10 (Contemporary English Version)

8 In the upstairs room where we were meeting, there were a lot of lamps. 9 A young man by the name of Eutychus was sitting on a window sill. While Paul was speaking, the young man got very sleepy. Finally, he went to sleep and fell three floors all the way down to the ground. When they picked him up, he was dead. 10 Paul went down and bent over Eutychus. He took him in his arms and said, "Don't worry! He's alive."

If Eutychus had an immortal soul that immediately went to Jesus in heaven, why would Paul have taken him away from Jesus to be back on this sin cursed planet in sinful flesh?

Soon Rev 22:11-12

Feb 26, 2005
✟760.00
Faith
Christian
The same could be said of Jesus with Lazarus. If Lazarus was conscious in "Abraham's bosom", how did Lazarus feel about returning to this sin cursed planet in sinful flesh?

John 11
11 These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.
12 Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.
13 Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.
14 Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.
34 And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see.
39 Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days.
40 Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?
41 Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me.
42 And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me.
43 And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth. 44 And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go.

Upvote 0

Asinner

Seeking Salvation
Jul 15, 2005
✟22,772.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Soon Rev 22:11-12 said:
Why doesn't the Bible or the tabloids of the day record the words describing the afterlife of these two men that died and came back?

We refer to Church history. Besides what is written in the link, it is said that Lazarus had a bitter taste in his mouth after Jesus raised him until the time of his death, which reminded him of his "taste" of death.

http://home.it.net.au/~jgrapsas/pages/St_Lazaros.htm

God Bless :)

Upvote 0

Asinner

Seeking Salvation
Jul 15, 2005
✟22,772.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Soon Rev 22:11-12 said:
Why doesn't the Bible or the tabloids of the day record the words describing the afterlife of these two men that died and came back?

There were many things that happened that were not recorded in the NT. Even John says that if all that Jesus did were recorded, the books would fill up the earth.

Yet we have the early church fathers who recorded the life of Lazarus.

God Bless :)

Upvote 0

Adammi

A Nicene Christian not in CF's Xians Only Club
Sep 9, 2004
✟26,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
dunkel said:
Perhaps these guys coming back to life was more in a metaphorical sense. As in, they were with the program (alive), then kinda left the program (dead), then brought back on board (alive again).
That's all good until you change that around to say that maybe Jesus just left the program and then came back.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Eruliel

Jun 26, 2005
In Christ
Visit site
✟1,065.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Mainly I think To bring glory to God.
I can't see those who saw Eutychus rise up from a broken neck/back/head standing there, then shrugging their shoulders and walking away.

Nor could I see the widows and orphans whom Dorcas clothed being nonchalant about her return. I think there was ALOT of praise, and singing going on after that. Same thing with Lazarus.

Perhaps in some cases a resurrection was to give the resurectee a second chance...like with Jarius' daughter. She and her father might've become Christians after that.

And Paul wasn't finished. He had been teaching all day, well into the wee hours of the morning because he knew what he was telling the people was important. He wasn't going to let some kids death keep that kid from hearing the news. Personally I think it's one of the funniest, and coolest stories of the Bible. Vs. 8 of Chapter 20 of Acts is quite interesting. It was well lit...that much we know. ;)
Slainte!
Eruliel

Upvote 0

Jig

Christ Follower
Oct 3, 2005
Texas
✟15,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Eruliel said:
Mainly I think To bring glory to God.
I can't see those who saw Eutychus rise up from a broken neck/back/head standing there, then shrugging their shoulders and walking away.

You've just added to God's word. No where does it say he broke his neck, back, or even hurt his head. In fact, there are a few commentaries that mention, 2000 years ago when someone was knocked out, they were precieved as dead. As such with the verse, "...and was taken up dead." This could mean he was in a limp state.

They go on to say that when Paul enbraced him he simply came to and this might be why Paul said, "Trouble not yourselves; for his life is in him."

Compare the difference in these "miracles" in Acts 3:6 and Acts 20:8-10.

Peter says "in the name of Jesus be healed". It was Jesus who healed the cripple outside the church. Paul never says this.

6Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.

Just another view point to ponder over.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.