Did Peter lose his salvation upon his denial of Jesus thrice?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟90,954.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mark 8:

38 If anyone is ashamed [G1870] of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will also be ashamed [G1870] of him when He comes in His Father's glory with the holy angels."
ESV, Matthew 10:

33 but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven.
Strong's Greek: 720. ἀρνέομαι (arneomai) — 33 Occurrences

BDAG ἀρνέομαι:
① to refuse consent to someth., refuse, disdain
② to state that someth. is not true, deny
③ to disclaim association with a pers. or event, deny, repudiate, disown
ⓐ of repudiating Moses
ⓑ of repudiating Christ
ⓒ of repudiating God
④ to refuse to pay any attention to, disregard, renounce

Mark 14:

72 Immediately the rooster crowed a second time. And Peter remembered how Jesus had said to him, “Before the rooster crows twice, you will deny me three times.” And he broke down and wept.
Strong's Greek: 533. ἀπαρνέομαι (aparneomai) — 11 Occurrences

BDAG ἀπαρνέομαι:
① to refuse to recognize/acknowledge, deny

The meanings of G720 and G533 overlapped.

I don't think so. Peter G533-denied Jesus but he did not G720-repudiate Jesus. He wasn't ashamed of Jesus either. In fact, he was ashamed of himself for denying Jesus.

Reactions: Grip Docility

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟93,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Mark 8:

ESV, Matthew 10:

BDAG ἀρνέομαι:
ⓐ of repudiating Moses
ⓑ of repudiating Christ
ⓒ of repudiating God

Mark 14:

BDAG ἀπαρνέομαι:

I don't think so. Peter G533-denied Jesus but he did not G720-repudiate Jesus. He wasn't ashamed of Jesus either. In fact, he was ashamed of himself for denying Jesus.
We fail, He doesn’t… He does not reject Himself, which seals us unto salvation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟69,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Peter had much reason to be afraid of being associated with Jesus, a TV evangelist pointed out to me not long ago.
His act of cutting the ear off of the one at His arrest was a crime punishable by crucifiction. It was yet dark and he must have been fearful as to whether or not it was seen and by who. There was much comotion and confusion in the garden. Even more so as the trial.

I don't think he was yet understanding what Jesus was there to do. I think he was confused and afraid as he watched in horror as Jesus was being so cruelly treated and that He was actually going to be crucified and be taken from him.
Also, the commentator continued, Peter didn't simply begin cussing and using profane words, he was swearing an oath that he did not know Jesus. 3 times he denied any knowledge of Him. He had place a curse on himself 3 times. He swore an oath that his words were true.
I think that is why Jesus asked him later not once but 3 times, "Peter, lovest thou Me?" He set him free from the 3 times he lied under oath, having swore each time, that he had no part in Jesus's offenses to the Jewish leaders
I can't help but tear up every time I read the words Jesus spoke to one of His deciples at the empty tomb, "Go and tell the others, and Perter...."
Those 3 days and 3 nights must have seemed like eternity to him.
He was still in fear of his emediate position until he heard those words spoken. And with good cause.
The teacher pointed out that John was at the trial, yet there was no mention of that same internal struggle with fear of his own fate, although I'm sure he was dealing with much as well.
Not much in the way of Scriptural content, I realize. But I think the televangelist made some points worthy of concideration.

To answer your question, perhaps. But Christ restored him because He knew Peter's heart.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟828,911.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Mark 8:

ESV, Matthew 10:

BDAG ἀρνέομαι:
ⓐ of repudiating Moses
ⓑ of repudiating Christ
ⓒ of repudiating God

Mark 14:

BDAG ἀπαρνέομαι:

I agree. There was a purpose behind the denial and that was to humble Peter so that he could lead the Church after the ascension.

Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0