did jesus die for all my past and future sins?

Ribosome

Jun 7, 2010
US
✟15,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
i have a question.

did jesus die for all my past sins as well as all my future sins? if so, then why do i have to keep asking for forginess after i commit a sin? or did jesus die just for my past sins, and i have to keep coming back and asking for forginess for sins as they come a long?

RobertZ

Feb 26, 2009
Gastonia NC
✟4,414.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
i have a question.

did jesus die for all my past sins as well as all my future sins? if so, then why do i have to keep asking for forginess after i commit a sin? or did jesus die just for my past sins, and i have to keep coming back and asking for forginess for sins as they come a long?
Look at it this way. When you are saved you are adopted as a child of God. Nothing will change that. I have three children and nothing will change that, either. When my children 'sin' against me, the are still my children, and that won't change. But in order to maintain a good relationship, they need to apologize. And ysyd what we are doing when we seek forgiveness from God. We are respecting Him ad our Father, and not just presuming on His goodness.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
i have a question.

that all depends on if you are part of the elect or not.

If you are, then my answer would be you are not asking for forgiveness from God because you already have that, but you are asking for peace and be given the ability to forgive yourself. Hammster's answer is spot on. :)

Upvote 0

savedfromdistruction

Dec 30, 2006
Texas
Visit site
✟8,870.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
i have a question.

There is a great deal of miss-understanding about our sin and the lostness of man. We are lost not because we sin, but because we are born sinners. We are sinners because of what Adam did in the garden.
The law came through Moses yet all mankind was born lost before the law was given. They were born lost because they were the offspring of Adam not because they broke any command. When the law came it did not make men more lost. The law was given with earthly promises. if they obey they would be blessed and if they disobeyed they would receive curses. The law had no provision to condemn men to hell or save men to heaven. It was only a standard that brought blessings or cursing's in this life.
The law had one more function. It gives evidence as to whether or not the person is saved or lost. The saved were those who believed God (faith) and would obey because of faith and the lost who had not faith would prove it because they would not obey. So the law does not save nor does it save. The law exposes a person as to if they are lost or saved. Jesus said this;
Luke 6:46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?
Being obedient does not save. Being obedient proves if we are saved and being sinful proves we are not saved. 1john 3.

Now what about confessing sin? True believers will not only confess sin, but they rush to confess it from a broken and contrite heart. We confess when we sin after salvation because we who are saved love the Lord and in those times when we go against His will we want to let Him know of our sorrow over what we have done and we are admitting and we are turning from that sin. The confession is to restore fellowship, not to regain salvation. Confessing sin does not save. Faith does. Confessing sin restores fellowship. One more thing a true believer will never live his daily life in the practice of sin. 1john 3.
Let me offer this. Listen to this teaching on sin.
http://gracelifepulpit.media.s3.amaz...1-02-20-DG.mp3

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RobertZ

Feb 26, 2009
Gastonia NC
✟4,414.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Look at it this way. When you are saved you are adopted as a child of God. Nothing will change that. I have three children and nothing will change that, either. When my children 'sin' against me, the are still my children, and that won't change. But in order to maintain a good relationship, they need to apologize. And ysyd what we are doing when we seek forgiveness from God. We are respecting Him ad our Father, and not just presuming on His goodness.
:amen:

Upvote 0

savedfromdistruction

Dec 30, 2006
Texas
Visit site
✟8,870.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
i have a question.

Just keep in mind that after salvation we ask forgiveness for doing wrong and to restore fellowship, not to get saved.

Upvote 0

Shaun_S

On My Way
Oct 26, 2010
✟7,671.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
id jesus die just for my past sins, and i have to keep coming back and asking for forginess for sins as they come a long?

Asking for forgiveness is an act of acceptance that you have sinned. in other words you are owning up and saying God I am guilty I know that I have sinned and I ask for forgiveness in the name of Jesus Christ.

If you don't ask forgiveness then it does not signify your acceptance that you have sinned.

If we continued to sin freely an not ask for forgiveness would this then make a mockery of the cross? I will let you answer that one in your own hearts.

The next part of the equation is, are you truly repentant?

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So how do we forsake sin and still live in this flesh. Christ's answer was "with man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." I guess the answer is forsake even our flesh so that it has no value to us?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shaun_S

On My Way
Oct 26, 2010
✟7,671.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So how do we forsake sin and still live in this flesh

Impossible, we are sinful by nature and will continue to sin. However making an effort through the power that is within us through Christ the things we used to do we will be triumphant. is better than merely paying slip service.

A thousand times I’ve failed
Still your mercy remains
Should I stumble again
Still I’m caught in your grace

Upvote 0

GrampaJeff

Forgiven
Aug 1, 2009
Ohio
✟7,831.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
"For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me." Rom. 7:20-21
If Paul was having trouble in this area then who are we to expect more.
"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our
sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. ... " 1 John 1:19 ;)

Upvote 0

ashout

As Tall as Goliath and as fearsome too!
Oct 27, 2009
Home
✟10,056.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hebrews says if we fall away we can't be brought back. Hebrews 6:4
but I'm not sure what to make of this becuase your right, he'll forgive you a thousand times if not more. so if yall don't mind, let me ask this: what is falling away from Christ?

Upvote 0

RobertZ

Feb 26, 2009
Gastonia NC
✟4,414.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
but I'm not sure what to make of this becuase your right, he'll forgive you a thousand times if not more. so if yall don't mind, let me ask this: what is falling away from Christ?

The book of Hebrews can be a very difficult book to understand, particularly certain passages such as Hebrews 6:4-6 and Hebrews 10:26-29.

When dealing with these difficult passages it is important to understand who the book of Hebrews was written to and also have an understanding of the time during which Hebrews was written.

In short Hebrews was written to the Jews during a time of heavy persecution for turning away from the old covenant/animal sacrifices to embracing Christ in full faith. The people in Hebrews 6:4-6 were those who had merely tasted the good word of God, in other words the Holy Spirit had enlightened the minds and hearts of these people as to the truth about Christ and had given them all the revelation that he could reveal to them regarding Christ.

For a person to turn away at this point and return back to the OT law after knowing the truth of Christ would be to fall away and trample Christ underfoot because you had been enlightened to the truth by the Holy Spirit yet despite all of this evidence with full knowledge you willfully turn from the only one true sacrafice and in doing so you recrucify the son of man afresh and put him to an open shame.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The book of Hebrews can be a very difficult book to understand, particularly certain passages such as Hebrews 6:4-6 and Hebrews 10:26-29.

When dealing with these difficult passages it is important to understand who the book of Hebrews was written to and also have an understanding of the time during which Hebrews was written.

In short Hebrews was written to the Jews during a time of heavy persecution for turning away from the old covenant/animal sacrifices to embracing Christ in full faith. The people in Hebrews 6:4-6 were those who had merely tasted the good word of God, in other words the Holy Spirit had enlightened the minds and hearts of these people as to the truth about Christ and had given them all the revelation that he could reveal to them regarding Christ.

For a person to turn away at this point and return back to the OT law after knowing the truth of Christ would be to fall away and trample Christ underfoot because you had been enlightened to the truth by the Holy Spirit yet despite all of this evidence with full knowledge you willfully turn from the only one true sacrafice and in doing so you recrucify the son of man afresh and put him to an open shame.
A few minor points of disagreement (or perhaps misunderstanding), but otherwise it's right on the money.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hupomone10

Veteran
Mar 21, 2010
Here
✟12,471.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
He doesn't say you cannot be brought back; He says you cannot be renewed to repentance.

That particular verse is built on the foundational verses preceeding it which are encouraging believers to leave the elementary things and move ahead in spiritual growth, 'not laying again a foundation of ... repentance from dead works..."

He's telling them you can't go backwards and be saved all over again, for that is already done. Repentance mentioned here is from dead works, not repentance from any particular sin a Christian does. Many examples in scripture show this to be true: in Galatians Peter had the sin of hypocrisy, and no doubt repented from it. The repentance here is foundational, elemental. He's telling them in order for that to happen, for you to go backwards and be saved all over again would mean Christ would have to be crucified afresh; and if you think that is what's necessary, then that is what you are mentally doing - crucifying Christ all over again.

The ones who believe you can lose eternal life are the ones who are susceptible to mentally crucify Christ all over again, for they think it's all up to them and they have to return to the elemental things and do it again. God says here that there is no return to the elemental things, to basic salvation.

God bless,
H..

Upvote 0