Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
im asking this question because there are many who believe that Adam is a dirty dog. Here is my reasoning to why they are not and were following the plan of God. Adam and Eve were placed in the garden of Eden. They were innocent of knowledge of good and evil. Satan was allowed to tempt them and Eve partook of the fruit and gave it to Adam. I believe that Adam and Eve disobeyed Gods law to not eat the fruit. God had told them not to eat of the fruit or they would die. Since there had not yet had death enter into the garden did they understand what the consequences of their choice? Since they did not know good and evil, could Adam and Eve understood what the law was and the consequences? They did disobey and as a result death came into the world. Sin also came into the world because of imperfection. I believe that to justice it does not matter if someone disobeys having full knowledge and understanding of the law broken or if someone is innocent of the law. It is still disobedience and there are consequences that must come as a result. The punishment is the same. Logic dictates that this was Gods plan all along because why would he allow satan to tempt them? Why would God place the tree of knowledge of good and evil for them to be tempted. I believe that God wanted Adam to eat the fruit so mortality would come to this earth as well so we could know good from evil. To experience the opposites of life so we could continue to progress. So to me Adam and Eve did not sin. They did transgress Gods law which had the same punishment.

single eye

Jun 12, 2014
✟16,169.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟652,233.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
im asking this question because there are many who believe that Adam is a dirty dog. Here is my reasoning to why they are not and were following the plan of God. Adam and Eve were placed in the garden of Eden. They were innocent of knowledge of good and evil. Satan was allowed to tempt them and Eve partook of the fruit and gave it to Adam. I believe that Adam and Eve disobeyed Gods law to not eat the fruit. God had told them not to eat of the fruit or they would die. Since there had not yet had death enter into the garden did they understand what the consequences of their choice? Since they did not know good and evil, could Adam and Eve understood what the law was and the consequences? They did disobey and as a result death came into the world. Sin also came into the world because of imperfection. I believe that to justice it does not matter if someone disobeys having full knowledge and understanding of the law broken or if someone is innocent of the law. It is still disobedience and there are consequences that must come as a result. The punishment is the same. Logic dictates that this was Gods plan all along because why would he allow satan to tempt them? Why would God place the tree of knowledge of good and evil for them to be tempted. I believe that God wanted Adam to eat the fruit so mortality would come to this earth as well so we could know good from evil. To experience the opposites of life so we could continue to progress. So to me Adam and Eve did not sin. They did transgress Gods law which had the same punishment.

Why did the serpent trick Eve and not Adam?

Adam was told not to eat of the fruit,

Adam informed Eve, How? in an overprotective way?

In the conversation between Eve and the serpent,
Eve says, "No, we must not even touch the tree"

That is not what Adam was told.

We know that being told not to do certain things or this and this will happen,

can be tempting to try it out anyway,
the serpent knew this and and said to Eve, "Oh , no....."

So Eve touched the tree and was not struck down by a bolt of Lightning, so, one thing leads to Another,

Well, shiver me timbers, who would have Adam and Eved it.

My apologies for the repeated qoutes,

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
...So to me Adam and Eve did not sin. They did transgress Gods law which had the same punishment.
Is this LDS doctrine? Reading Romans 5 makes it crystal clear, imo, that Adam sinned.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It's better to be informed by scripture.

12 Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned-
13 for sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law.
14 Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sinning was not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come. - Romans 5:12-14

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,740.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
Adam and Eve (peace be upon them) did sin, sincerely repented, and were forgiven in the Islaamic perspective.

The Prophets' minor sins are more like mistakes for us but they still repented from them.

And Adam and his wife ate of it, and their private parts became apparent to them, and they began to fasten over themselves from the leaves of Paradise. And Adam disobeyed his Lord and erred. Then his Lord chose him and turned to him in forgiveness and guided [him]. (Surah Taha 20:121-122)

Lot was called a righteous man. Would you call a man who commits incest with his daughters righteous? If you can rationalize that, then there is no evil that cannot be rationalized.

I know you're referring to the Bible, but in Islaam to assign such a sin to a Prophet is a grave mistake.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟652,233.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Adam and Eve (peace be upon them) did sin, sincerely repented, and were forgiven in the Islaamic perspective.

The Prophets' minor sins are more like mistakes for us but they still repented from them.

And Adam and his wife ate of it, and their private parts became apparent to them, and they began to fasten over themselves from the leaves of Paradise. And Adam disobeyed his Lord and erred. Then his Lord chose him and turned to him in forgiveness and guided [him]. (Surah Taha 20:121-122)

I know you're referring to the Bible, but in Islaam to assign such a sin to a Prophet is a grave mistake.

Lot was a prophet?

Profiteer more like it,

it was only thanks to Abraham that he got saved from the destruction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,740.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
In the text he was deceived. Does that make a difference?

Hmm, interesting question. Probably not. I don't think Lot (peace be upon him) was forced to get drunk according to the Bible. From the Islaamic perspective it's all still something we'd refuse to believe regardless of any deception.

"It is a point of unanimous consensus that the Prophets (peace be upon them all) were all divinely protected from committing major sins or whatever else would have reduced or compromised their respect and honor."

Mistakes of the Prophets

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Hmm, interesting question. Probably not. I don't think Lot (peace be upon him) was forced to get drunk according to the Bible. From the Islaamic perspective it's all still something we'd refuse to believe regardless of any deception.

"It is a point of unanimous consensus that the Prophets (peace be upon them all) were all divinely protected from committing major sins or whatever else would have reduced or compromised their respect and honor."

Mistakes of the Prophets

Interesting. It might also be noted that Lot kind of believed everything had been destroyed in the text. As we've discussed before, though, our two faiths have a radically different view of prophets so even if we considered Lot one, we wouldn't bat an eye at his silly behavior.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
That is completely irrational. Does setting people up to certain failure sound like unconditional love to you? Lot was called a righteous man. Would you call a man who commits incest with his daughters righteous? If you can rationalize that, then there is no evil that cannot be rationalized.

Did you actually read this article? Because none of your comments seem to relate to it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟652,233.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
He was saved from destruction because he knew how to properly receive guests.

Yes, you highlight something there, but the story, the run up as to why Lot found himself in such a situation, Sodom was so wicked that it is difficult to imagine just how.

The lush green pastures he thought he chose ended in a nightmare.
Well not ended in a nightmare but most probably from day one on arriving there.

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
As a Baha'i I tend to view the Adam and Eve story as an allegory rather than a literal story.

"...this story of Adam and Eve who ate from the tree, and their expulsion from Paradise, must be thought of simply as a symbol. It contains divine mysteries and universal meanings, and it is capable of marvelous explanations."

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Some Answered Questions, p. 122

We don't accept the view of "original sin" either.

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's better to be informed by scripture.

12 Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned-
13 for sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law.
14 Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sinning was not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come. - Romans 5:12-14
Sin was brought into the world by one man who transgressed the law. To justice it is blind to innocence or knowing the law.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,432.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Would Adam and Eve have been the best all human (not divine) beings, which could be cratered?

Would there genes have been as good as genes could be made since no mutations would have occurred in them?

Adam at least is described as being “very good” by God’s standard, so would that be as good as a being could be created?

Who raised (or programmed) Adam and Eve to adulthood?

Who taught Adam and Eve the meaning of all the words God would use (including the word “die”)?

If Adam and Eve were not the best human representatives than the fact that better humans were not given the opportunity to live in the Garden is unfair.

Just because Adam and Eve did not know “good and evil” (which is something they did not need to know at the time) does not mean they did not know: “right and wrong”. I may be wrong to play next to a cliff but is it evil?

There is a ton of stuff Adam and Eve and all of us learn from their Garden experience and some needed to be learned through experience early on. People even today will at some point in their life ask: “How could a Loving God allow this____ tragedy to happen”? What they are really asking for is: “why are we not all in a Garden type situation no: tragedies, hardship, illness or death.

The problem is as Adam and Eve have shown us is: the Garden is a lousy place for humans to fulfill their earthly objective.

Reactions: ron4shua
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,432.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As a Baha'i I tend to view the Adam and Eve story as an allegory rather than a literal story.

"...this story of Adam and Eve who ate from the tree, and their expulsion from Paradise, must be thought of simply as a symbol. It contains divine mysteries and universal meanings, and it is capable of marvelous explanations."

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Some Answered Questions, p. 122

We don't accept the view of "original sin" either.
I do not accept the original sin idea either:

Would Adam and Eve have been the best all human (not divine) beings, which could be cratered?

Would there genes have been as good as genes could be made since no mutations would have occurred in them?

Adam at least is described as being “very good” by God’s standard, so would that be as good as a being could be created?

Who raised (or programmed) Adam and Eve to adulthood?

Who taught Adam and Eve the meaning of all the words God would use (including the word “die”)?

If Adam and Eve were not the best human representatives than the fact that better humans were not given the opportunity to live in the Garden is unfair.

Just because Adam and Eve did not know “good and evil” (which is something they did not need to know at the time) does not mean they did not know: “right and wrong”. I may be wrong to play next to a cliff but is it evil?

There is a ton of stuff Adam and Eve and all of us learn from their Garden experience and some needed to be learned through experience early on. People even today will at some point in their life ask: “How could a Loving God allow this____ tragedy to happen”? What they are really asking for is: “why are we not all in a Garden type situation no: tragedies, hardship, illness or death.

The problem is as Adam and Eve have shown us is: the Garden is a lousy place for humans to fulfill their earthly objective.

Reactions: pastor marty
Upvote 0