DeSantis ally Christopher Rufo hosts debate with one participant advocating rightwing cooperation with a hypothetical white nationalist dictator

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

‘No enemies to the right’: DeSantis ally hosts debate hedging white nationalism

Conservative activist Christopher Rufo, who is a close ally [and New College board appointee] of Florida governor and Republican presidential candidate Ron DeSantis, hosted a social media debate in which one participant argued that conservatives should cooperate with a hypothetical white nationalist dictator “in order to destroy the power of the left”.

Participating in the debate was Charles Haywood, a former shampoo magnate who the Guardian previously reported is a would-be “warlord” who founded a secretive, men-only fraternal society, the Society for American Civic Renewal (SACR).

The debate concerned Haywood’s promotion of a strategy he calls “no enemies to the right”, which urges people on the right to avoid any public criticism of others in their camp, including extremists.

Early in the Rufo-hosted discussion last Tuesday, Haywood raised the hypothetical possibility early in the discussion: “Let’s say a real white nationalist arose who had real political power … and therefore [could] be of assistance against the left.”

Responding to the hypothetical, Haywood said: “I think that the answer is that you should cooperate with that person in order to destroy the power of the left.”

[Later:] “When we’re talking about people like Franco or Pinochet or even Salazar … they did kill people. ... that’s just a historical fact.”

“But,” Haywood added, “they saved a lot more people than they killed.”

• Informative
Reactions: USincognito

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

‘No enemies to the right’: DeSantis ally hosts debate hedging white nationalism

Conservative activist Christopher Rufo, who is a close ally [and New College board appointee] of Florida governor and Republican presidential candidate Ron DeSantis, hosted a social media debate in which one participant argued that conservatives should cooperate with a hypothetical white nationalist dictator “in order to destroy the power of the left”.

Participating in the debate was Charles Haywood, a former shampoo magnate who the Guardian previously reported is a would-be “warlord” who founded a secretive, men-only fraternal society, the Society for American Civic Renewal (SACR).

The debate concerned Haywood’s promotion of a strategy he calls “no enemies to the right”, which urges people on the right to avoid any public criticism of others in their camp, including extremists.

Early in the Rufo-hosted discussion last Tuesday, Haywood raised the hypothetical possibility early in the discussion: “Let’s say a real white nationalist arose who had real political power … and therefore [could] be of assistance against the left.”

Responding to the hypothetical, Haywood said: “I think that the answer is that you should cooperate with that person in order to destroy the power of the left.”

[Later:] “When we’re talking about people like Franco or Pinochet or even Salazar … they did kill people. ... that’s just a historical fact.”

“But,” Haywood added, “they saved a lot more people than they killed.”
Isn’t the idea that we “remember history” to make sure that we don’t repeat “mistakes”?
Huh.

Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟174,337.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As someone who watches debates between all kinds of people it's very strange to attribute the views of the participants to the host of the debate, or even worse, a friend of the host of the debate. If a friend of mine hosts a debate between a Muslim and an atheist it would be weird to accuse me of being pro-Islam. Likewise, bringing DeSantis into this is rather ridiculous.
And I'm not even American that I'd have a stake in the presidential candidacy etc. at all. Just noting this from an outside perspective.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
This sort of mentality reminds me of @iluvatar5150 s thread where it seems that quite a few on the right have so immersed themselves in right wing rhetoric that liberals or anyone who even holds a left of center position or two, is not merely a political opponent, but fundamentally evil, actively trying to destroy America and possibly literally demonic. The Left cannot be compromised with because they are so fundamentally evil and they must be exiled or destroyed.

Upvote 0