• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

depression poll

what do you think about depression

• Depression is a serious but treatable mental illness.

• Good christians should not get depressed because it shows a lack of faith

• If people got off their lazy behinds and helped others, they wouldn't be depressed.

• Good christian music and a positive attitude is enough to make one's mood swing out of their depress

• Sometimes God chooses to not heal a person with depression but he chooses to walk with them through

Results are only viewable after voting.

EliasEmmanuel

Gomi No Sensei
Apr 20, 2002
Camdenton, Missouri
Visit site
✟16,287.00
Faith
Protestant
Bain_Adaneth said:
I might be wrong, but I think that people who have depression disorders have not found the joy that one finds with God. <snip>....how can you still be depressed when God loves you...it just doesn't make sense
Then, quite simply, you've never been there.

First, if God gave you some accelerated insta-sanctification, and you immediately stopped caring about material things or people's opinions, and absolutely no issues running over from your Old Life, that's great. Never heard of it before, but I'm in no position to gainsay your life. Suffice to say, God does not always remove every single obstacle to a completely fulfilled life. Nor is depression the same as being sad periodically, or a relationship with God proof against ever feeling sad, or downright terrible for that matter. It's just proof against being alone, regardless of how alone we feel.

but just be happy for once....if something bothered you that made you depress and it wasn't anything really big, then try to shrug it off....it works I've done it before....just be happy.....not the fake depression happy...I mean BE happy, there's still tommorrow....God Loves you....
If you can just switch off sadness, I envy you that gift. I'd hazard a guess that I'm not alone there.

Upvote 0

Bain_Adaneth

Nov 14, 2003
cali~~*the golden state*~~
✟8,442.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Depression is not the same as being sad periodically...and a relationship with God doesn't mean that you're sad proof...but a relatioship with God changes how you feel....you have hope, and you may be sad sometimes, but don't stay sad...Yes, you're right God does not remove all obstacles...but we have to learn how to deal with them...trust me, I have been there, it's a very lonely place to be...but when I was born again, I got rid of it...Be gone depression...

Upvote 0

Lizzy16

The Lord is with Thee
Dec 11, 2003
Herzeliyah, Israel
✟15,301.00
Faith
Catholic
I think that depression are both mental illness and that Sometimes God chooses to not heal a person with depression but he chooses to walk with them through it and help them trust him, I don't think these two contratict eachother.
I am suffering surrently from depressions, but I must say, that God helps me, and everyday I feel better thanks to the Bible to His son.

Upvote 0

Indigo

Dec 10, 2003
Europe
✟7,797.00
I can't agree with either one because I have had depression for a long time but only during PMS so I figured it was physical and not mental even though it affects you emotionally. But I couldn't find a treatment so I finally went to a psychiatrist who explained to me the kind of depression I have and how the neurons and such work in the brain to cause depression, therefore it is physical and not mental.

As far as a reason for it, I have been fascinated by psychology for a long time and now I think that God gave me this illness only part of the time and a very clear mind the rest of the time so that I can see both sides. I think, if I ever get to go back to school and study psychology, it will help me to understand those who have this problem but be able to stand outside of it as well in order to help objectively (or is it subjectively?). Maybe this does fit with the last one but I can't remember what it is now.

As far as being curable, the psych told me some people can stop taking the medicine when they get their life straightened out but I believe that would be the mental depression which is caused by life traumas whereas mine is physical and I'll have to wait and see but I have the feeling I'll always have to take the medicine. So yes, it is treatable but not necessarily curable.

Although I also have to add that my life has and still does give me reasons to be depressed but, with the medicine, I'm no longer depressed about it. And as far as God, I had found Him and then I lost Him and couldn't figure out why no matter how hard I tried. Now, I have found him again with this medicine.

Upvote 0

Megan

Dec 30, 2003
Sweden
✟15,670.00
Faith
Protestant
Bain_Adaneth said:
Depression is not the same as being sad periodically...and a relationship with God doesn't mean that you're sad proof...but a relatioship with God changes how you feel....you have hope, and you may be sad sometimes, but don't stay sad...Yes, you're right God does not remove all obstacles...but we have to learn how to deal with them...trust me, I have been there, it's a very lonely place to be...but when I was born again, I got rid of it...Be gone depression...

*hrmf*
Replies of that kind irritates me!!!

To be a Christian (and I am and have been for some time now) doesn't mean that you can not go into a depression! I have been (still aren't completely out of it) has been severely clinical depressed. I've needed meds, pastoral counselling, therapy and it has taken me a 1½ year to "almost" be back to "normal".

There is only ONE thing I can see that differs for me. I have NEVER during this time considered ending my life through suicide. But I do not know if I will not end up in the grip of the depression again. I do not know what happens when I stop taking meds...

But do not simplyfy things by saying that being a "good" christian is an insurance against depression. Because at least in my church the frequency of depression is as it is in society in general. I am just grateful that we have a great pastoral counselling team that can step in early on with professional counselling!

/Megan

Upvote 0

Silent Enigma

Senior Veteran
Jan 2, 2004
The upper midwest, out in the woods.
Visit site
✟10,265.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I was on anti-depressant (paxil) years ago but it didn't do much good. Just numbs you or something. Of course living conditions stunk at that time too. But after I became a Christians things did get better. The meaninglessness of atheistic evolution leaves you, of course, rather hopeles feeling. Not to say that a good Christian won't get depressed. Look at the prophets in the ways they cried out to God, etc. etc. They didn't talk like this cuz they were HAPPY. I wonder really what percentage of the OT was written by people who were in a saddened state. I have no idea. Someone go figure it out!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mr.Cheese

Legend
Apr 14, 2002
✟21,948.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They have things for women and PMS now.
I think all girls should be told about how the hormonal changes can freak out their emotions. A lot of them want to kill themselves for a week and don't understand why.
I think that would be kind of important information to pass along to them.

When I started going to a counselor, depression was the furthest thing from my mind. It took him a good two months to get me to see that it was a problem. I wasn't sad at all. The problem was couldnt' think. Can't think, can't study. I've got PTSD, and that is what I suspected was taking up my "processing" resources. It wsa the least of my problems.
Now I'm on meds. For the first time in 30 years I felt like being alive was a good thing. It annoys me to no end that our emotions are tied to some chemicals in our brain. But I'll tell you that I'm glad someone figured out that they are.
Thank God for doctors.

Upvote 0

Endearing lil Influenza

Everything begins with &quot;E&quot;
Oct 26, 2003
Australia
Visit site
✟10,887.00
Faith
Christian
I suffer Major depression which I inherited from my Dad... my depression is a real struggle as sometimes.. I might hide in an isolated corner, crouch down, hold myself tightly trying to stop myself shaking...

however I do concider my depression as a blessing as now I have many friends who care about me...

I am hopeful that I will one day become a strong christian... and help all those in my youth group to cope with any depression they have...

I am still suffering a lot however I am clinging tightly to these worses

"... but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that sufferring produces perserverance; perserverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has pured out his love into our hearts by the holy spirit, whom he has given us"

Romans 5:3-5

and

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed to us.

Romans 8:18

I am crying now... but I will hold thes verses tightly wherever I go

just want to share one more thing

A SILVER REFINER

A group of women were studying the book of Malachi. As they were
studying chapter three, they came across verse three which says,
"He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver."

This verse puzzled the women and they wondered what this statement
meant about the character and nature of God. One of the women
offered to find out about the process of refining silver and get
back to the group at their next Bible study.

That week this woman called up a silversmith and made an
appointment to watch him at work. She didn't mention anything about
the reason for her interest in silver beyond her curiosity about
the process of refining silver. As she watched the silversmith, he
held a piece of silver over the fire and let it heat up. He
explained that in refining silver, one needed to hold the silver in
the middle of the fire where the flames were hottest so as to burn
away all the impurities.

The woman thought about God holding us in such a hot spot-then she
thought about the verse, that He "sits as a refiner and purifier of
silver." She asked the silversmith if it was true that he had to
sit there in front of the fire the whole time the silver was being
refined. The man answered that yes, he not only had to sit there
holding the silver, but he had to keep his eyes on the silver the
entire time it was on the fire. If the silver was left even a
moment too long in the flames, it would be destroyed.

The woman was silent for a moment. Then she asked the silversmith,
"How do you know when the silver is fully refined?" He smiled at
her and answered, "Oh, that's easy-- when I see my image in it."

If today you are feeling the heat of the fire, remember that you
are in God's hand, He has His eye on you, He will not let you be
destroyed, and He will keep holding you and watching you until he
sees his image in you.

Will you let Him sit you in the fire to be moulded? To be polished
and purified?

for all those of you who are suffering... hugs to you... and

Hang in there

Upvote 0