Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In the Mountain of Silence Maximios says demons can heal. But in the gospels Christ says a house divided cannot stand(demons cannot heal) when he is accused of using demons to heal.

?????/

What exactly did Maximios mean then?

Upvote 0
S

SeventhValley

If that healing can lead someone astray, it would be tactically advantageous for the demons to do it. As a former "sorcerer" I have personally used good deeds to manipulate people to do my will.

Yea that would make sense but why would Christ use the line of reasoning he did against those who accused him of using demons unless that is the way things work?

Upvote 0

inconsequential

goat who dreamed he was a sheep
Mar 28, 2010
✟9,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The "key" to magic is to submit to the will of the enemy. The more intent one is on causing chaos and darkness, the more effectively it works. When I tried to help people altruistically (in the early stages of my occult practice), I failed exclusively. After my heart grew darker and "helping" someone became selfish and manipulative, it began to work a little. I wont claim to have had "powers" but I have performed Satanic rituals to bring harm to others and what I prescribed in those rituals came to pass.

Upvote 0

inconsequential

goat who dreamed he was a sheep
Mar 28, 2010
✟9,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yea that would make sense but why would Christ use the line of reasoning he did against those who accused him of using demons unless that is the way things work?

The consistency of His witness and what He was professing and teaching was antithetical to Satan's intent. The way He was healing brought glory to God.

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In the Mountain of Silence Maximios says demons can heal. But in the gospels Christ says a house divided cannot stand(demons cannot heal) when he is accused of using demons to heal.

?????/

I hadn't heard this before, so I really can't say what Maximos meant without more context. I suppose the assumption here is that temporal physical healing from affliction or delivery from suffering is an objective "good", a demon cannot do "good", therefore a demon cannot "heal". Perhaps the problem is in the base assumption - that temporal physical healing is an absolute good. I think Christ healed as signs, but He was always clear that the "real" healing was of the spirit and the nature of Man, which was accomplished on the Cross. In that sense, the demons are powerless, but it would seem that they could still use temporal physical comforts to trick us, no?

Upvote 0

Boris89

Apr 21, 2013
Bulgaria
✟15,425.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
From what I have read in spiritual literature, demons can cause a sickness to seemingly disappear, fooling the observer into thinking the person is healed. After some time, the affliction comes in a much stronger form.

This is usually the case with people visiting magicians and witch doctors for healing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
S

SeventhValley

From what I have read in spiritual literature, demons can cause a sickness to seemingly disappear, fooling the observer into thinking the person is healed. After some time, the affliction comes in a much stronger form.

This is usually the case with people visiting magicians and witch doctors for healing.

Just realized you said what I just wrote in post #12 :)

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Wasn't it in Mountain of Silence where the story is recounted of visiting an Indian fakir who showed the group of tourists a vision of them arriving on the ship?

sounds like a story that's in Fr. Seraphim's Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future.

Upvote 0
D

Dari0

I honestly have a hard time believing demons,angels,spirits etc exist.

It is hard to have faith in something you have never seen or experienced.

its true. sometimes I feel sad for supposed christian parents that grow in a christian like home/family, and everything is so mediocre, no encounters or things come to life.

I've seen God work in my life, not physically, but spiritually transform me, its been an amazing journey

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just realized you said what I just wrote in post #12 :)

That's pretty much what came to my mind. I don't have much to add. I haven't read the book, so I can't comment on what St. Maximos was saying, but it seems to me that if demons can bind people or cause a sickness, they might just be willing to loosen the hold if doing so could cause more deception and error.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
interesting thread. So according to some of you, demons can temporarily heal people?

oh yeah, they can heal us to draw us away from Christ. like a lot of the televangelist healings that seem to work, but only draw folks away.

Upvote 0