you deceitful tongue?
A warrior's sharp arrows,
with glowing coals of the broom tree!
“Woe to me, that I sojourn in Meshech,
that I dwell among the tents of Kedar!
Too long have I had my dwelling
among those who hate peace.
I am for peace,
but when I speak, they are for war!” (Psalms 120:1-7 ESV)

We now live in a day and age where lying lips are pretty much everywhere you look – in our national governments, among world leaders, in the media (in general), in the news, in sports, in entertainment, and within the gatherings of what are called “churches,” and via their preachers’ sermons (messages or talks). Lying lips are in all sorts of social media memes, movies, videos (especially short ones), song lyrics (including “Christian” song lyrics), cartoons, advertisements, and the like.

Deception is one of the largest means of these lying lips, for here they may not tell an outright lie (obvious lie) but they may give a false impression (or a misimpression) which is an indirect lie, but which is still a lie. These are harder to prove because the lies are hidden and indirect, and so this is a very popular way in which the lies are being told today. And one of the means of these lies is via teaching Scriptures out of context and thus having them say what they don’t say if they are taught in context.

One example of this is Ephesians 2:8-9 which is absent of verse 10. So they end up teaching that God requires no works of us at all. But that isn’t what it says. We are not saved of our own doing, of our own fleshly works. We can do nothing to earn or to deserve our own salvation. So we don’t get to choose what that salvation looks like, either. But “we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them” (verse 10). So works are indeed required of us.

Another one is John 10:28-30 which leaves out verse 27. They begin with verse 28 and they teach that everyone who makes a profession of faith in Jesus Christ has now been given eternal life in Christ, that they will never perish, and that no one and nothing can ever snatch them out of God’s hand. But verse 27 says, “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.” And then it goes on and says, “I give THEM eternal life…” So, it is those who are listening to the Lord and who are following him in obedience who have eternal life, not those who just give lip service.

But not all the lies are in words. Many of them are in images and videos and movies and anything pictorial, all of which now can be altered and doctored and photo-shopped to make them appear one way while they may be something altogether different. So just because you think you see it, that doesn’t mean it is true or that it really happened that way. They can even create a video with you in it committing a crime that you did not commit, if they want to ruin your life. So we can’t believe everything we see or hear or read, for all can be faked and manipulated and altered to tell lies.

So, this calls for much spiritual discernment. Especially we should not be believing everything we see or hear in the news or from our government heads or in social media memes and movies depicting biblical subjects. Especially the character of Jesus Christ is currently being manipulated via all sorts of media – movies, TV series, videos, advertisements (“He gets us”), cartoons, and song lyrics, and the like. So we must be students of the Scriptures who study them in context and who are in the habit of testing everything we read, hear, or see against the Scriptures and in prayer.

So, who are those who hate peace? They are all those who sow discord and who willfully lie, manipulate, distort, and deceive people to get them fighting with one another over things that possibly don’t even exist, in reality. For example, political left and right, at least here in America, is man-created, and in order to keep us at odds with one another. In reality they do not exist. They are just two sides of the same whole, and that whole is a one world order consisting of people of many nations working to destroy independent nations in order to bring us all under a one world government.

And political left and right is not the only faction that they use to divide the people so that they can conquer them. They willfully incite factions of all different kinds in order to always keep things stirred up and the people distracted and entertained and at odds with one another. It is the whole “divide and conquer” scenario which is being used on us, the people, and it is working. It is also the “order out of chaos” scenario at work. First they create the problem, and then they come to the “rescue” with their preconceived “solution” to our problem. It is where this is all headed.

So be people of discernment, and before you just believe what you hear or read or see, test it against the Scriptures taught IN CONTEXT, and test it before the Lord, in prayer, seeking his guidance and counsel and wisdom to know what is truth and what are lies, for they are not all easily discernable. Let the Holy Spirit and the Word of God lead you into all truth, and don’t put your faith and trust solely in any human being, no matter who that person is. For no human is infallible. Even some of the seemingly godliest among us have turned out, in the past, to be some of the wickedest. Test them all!!

[Matthew 7:15-23; Matthew 24:11-14; John 10:1-15; 2 Corinthians 11:13-15; Philippians 3:2; 2 Peter 2:1-22; 1 Timothy 1:3-7; 1 Timothy 6:3-10; 2 Timothy 3:1-9; 1 John 4:1-6; Jude 1:1-25]

Oh, to Be Like Thee, Blessed Redeemer

Lyrics by Thomas O. Chisholm, 1897
Music by W. J. Kirkpatrick, 1897

Oh, to be like Thee! blessèd Redeemer,
This is my constant longing and prayer;
Gladly I’ll forfeit all of earth’s treasures,
Jesus, Thy perfect likeness to wear.

Oh, to be like Thee! full of compassion,
Loving, forgiving, tender and kind,
Helping the helpless, cheering the fainting,
Seeking the wandering sinner to find.

O to be like Thee! lowly in spirit,