Decidedly Celibate Singles

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
that is wonderfull susan! It sounds like God has molded the desires of your heart towards such a life that celibacy calls for, and to that honor I see as great. Becoming a mother and raising children may have its place among the masses, but I believe there are a few woman (just like some men), who are equiped and called to celibacy as well; called to a place free to completely devote oneself to God's will; a place that requires complete freedom to follow the demanding road ahead. It may be a difficult path, but the rewards will be great for such dedication. Anyway, I'm really glad to hear of your thoughts on this.

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
InnerPhyre said:
I've decided to remain celibate and give my life to God through the priesthood. Off to seminary soon enough :priest:
Praise God IP. I may do the same one day, but I think may first enter the monastic life for a while and possibly become a Catholic monk, to devote myself to God in a dedicated, solitary, and prayerfull life for a while.

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
InnerPhyre said:
I've given a great deal of thought to the monastic life. I still find it very appealing. For that reason, I'm thinking about becoming an order priest rather than a parish priest. Time will tell. God is great.
hey brother,
can you talk about the difference between the two here for the sake of our discussion? thanks friend.

Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Sure, no prob. Order priests belong to the same types of orders as monks. Franciscan, Dominican, Benedictine, etc. They take monastic vows just like the brothers (chastity, poverty, obediance), and serve mostly within the orders. Dioscesan priests (i.e. parish priests) are ordained by their particular regional dioscese and serve within that dioscese. The latter doesn't appeal so much to me because I don't want to spend all my time worrying about my parish's budget and building churches, etc

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
thanks inner,
I have a feeling that I may join the franciscan order at some point, but I'm not quite sure. My mother had a dream where I was praying in the pews at Saint Francis of Assisi, and God told her some interesting things.

In any case, I just had a quick quesiton maybe you can answer; do you have to become a monk first before becoming an order priest? Not like it matters in my case, because I will most likely atleast become a simple monk first, after 3 years of study and contemplative prayer, then go from there. But I'm curious if you possibly knew.

Upvote 0

kiwiky

Nov 17, 2003
✟117.00
Faith
Christian
HI guys, im kylee From New zealand..just recently broken up with my fiancee of 2yrs and a half, broke up 3 months trying to move on..Grief is so hard..But then i guess its time to focous on realtionship with God. i just pray that i will stay and hang in there. well better go for now blessings for now kylee

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I've been through a similar break up. I know how hard that can be. My last relationship lasted 4 years....engaged 2 years. Getting married would have been a tremendous mistake for me though, because I would have missed out on the plan that I've since realized God has for me. If you are broken up, it is because God has something better planned for you. Don't forget that.

Upvote 0

Photini

Gone.
Jun 24, 2003
✟26,308.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Rising_Suns said:
I didn't know you were divorced photini. how did that go over with the church?
I was divorced before I converted. I discussed it with my confessor, because it had caused me some worry...he assured me that being that I was married civilly (we did not marry in a church, but in a courthouse) and since he was not Orthodox (of course at the time neither was I) that I was under no obligation to him in the eyes of God, or the Church. He was and still is a mentally and physically abusive man who used drugs too, which is worthy reason for divorce.

He actually even said, that in the eyes of the Church, my daughter is considered born out of wedlock, since only weddings that take place within the Church are recognized as valid. Strangely enough, that is a great comfort to me, for that whole period of my life had been a huge weight on my back.

So in short, in the eyes of the Church, I was never actually married. Because my so-called marriage was not one blessed and recognized by God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Interestingly enough, I was born technically out of wedlock for the same reason. My parents both had previous marriages, and when they met eachother and got married, since my father is an Atheist, they just went to the courthouse. I'd have been shunned in Old Testament days. Thank God for Jesus.

Upvote 0

cleaveun2him

Nov 18, 2003
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟323.00
Faith
Christian
I know personally that being celibate is not easy, nor is it readily accepted even within the church. There is much pressure that everyone has someone who has been chosen for them. After a certain age, many look at those who remain celibate and wonder....some even come right out and imply that if one remains celibate one must not be "normal".

The Lord called me to be His alone at 12. Have I been tempted...you bet! But thanks be to Him, I have to date remained faithful at least in body. Recently, I have been working on increasing my holiness in this area, having been convicted in this area.
Our society places such pressure and incentives to stray from what the Word says that conforming to a celibate way of life will not be easy. Yet, I believe that it allows one to concentrate on the things of God. May God Bless you in your path!

Upvote 0

ukok

Freaked out, insecure, neurotic and Emotional
Mar 1, 2003
England
Visit site
✟19,706.00
Faith
Catholic
Photini said:
I am divorced and a mother of two. I haven't made any definite promises yet, but am taking my decision to remain single for the remainder of my life very seriously, and hope for the strength to receive it.
Ditto to all of that :)

Reactions: Photini
Upvote 0