Dear Friend committed suicide...

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Funeral is still up in the air - very odd to reflect on whenever people ask me on details for when it'll happen and I'm bothered enough on not knowing how to speak to the mother of the son on the issue. Don't want to feel like I'm rushed or that others are being rushed to just "move on" as if nothing happened....and based on many comments I've seen, it has seemed that is the case many times when people don't seem to grieve deeply on the matter.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Gxg (G²);64202648 said:
Funeral is still up in the air - very odd to reflect on whenever people ask me on details for when it'll happen and I'm bothered enough on not knowing how to speak to the mother of the son on the issue. Don't want to feel like I'm rushed or that others are being rushed to just "move on" as if nothing happened....and based on many comments I've seen, it has seemed that is the case many times when people don't seem to grieve deeply on the matter.

Unfortunately missed the funeral - as I had asked when it was going to be earlier in the week, yet I never was told via email or in person it was going to happen in the morning ....and by the time I found out, the funeral was nearly over. Was very frustrated I couldn't make it and be a part of the event - but I'm glad for others who were able to be present/support.

From what I heard, it was a very intense/direct funeral - as the minister shared openly (based on what the mother had asked - who was taking it well/still seeking to serve or smile) that he couldn't vouch for the man's salvation. He also noted that what the man did was selfish and that the loved ones of the man needed to forgive him for being selfish since he was given so much and yet often rejected it (i.e. rejecting his support from uncle/aunt who sponsored his college education financially, rejecting others who offered him a wielding job when he was bummed about not having employment, not thinking of his family members/younger siblings who he left behind, etc.) - AND the minister noted how often the young man (from what his mother said) would often blame God for his troubles and place God on trial - yet not really take ownership of where his own sins ruined his life.

Moreover, the minister noted where self-pity is a sin that brings much ruin to lives. It ended up being a sermon which was seen by many to be freeing for them if they had loved ones who did the same as the young man - my mom being one of them since my uncle did the same as the young man and she alongside my grandmother often blamed themselves for his death.............and yet never realized how much that was not their fault.

The sermon seemed to be an attempt to redeem the situation - and bring focus on what others should do in light of the man's death when it comes to Heaven and Hell. A form of an altar call for salvation, if you will. I was grateful for some aspects of what were done in the sermon - and yet in others, I didn't really know how to take it. I was wrestling with issues just as much as others - and I think others did as well. In example, both sisters of the deceased man walked out at various points (from what I've been told).....and I was wondering if it was done due to being overwhelmed by the loss of their brother - or if perhaps it was out of frustration at what the pastor was doing. I wasn't there nor did I ask them - so I can't be definite....but I can imagine some things said may've bothered them if they had a mindset of hoping their brother would make it to Heaven.

I have been processing a lot on my own stance - as it concerns the Mercy of God - and I ended up listening to a podcast on the matter later on Ancient Faith Radio on salvation (similar to conversations from before here, here, here and here). I can only hope for the man that God's Mercy is present - and that others mourn but take note of the man's life/loss at such a young age and seek to avoid doing likewise....and be encouraging to others as much as possible with truth so that they'd not feel like giving up hope.

Have I stopped praying for my friend? No - but I am asking for help to do so/have comfort. Praying....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Gxg, I am sorry to hear that, but take comfort that you can still pray for your friend!
Trying to take comfort - although it's difficult.

Nonetheless, thanks for the sentiment....

Upvote 0