United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It's so funny to me that some are saying the zoo should make it so that no human could possibly get into any of the exhibits. My goodness, with that degree of barriers up, that would hardly even be a zoo. You might as well go to the IMAX and watch a documentary.

Which is probably where this child should have been.

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's so funny to me that some are saying the zoo should make it so that no human could possibly get into any of the exhibits. My goodness, with that degree of barriers up, that would hardly even be a zoo. You might as well go to the IMAX and watch a documentary.

I think there's reasonable middle ground "so secure no person could possibly get in" and "possible for a toddler to get into without much effort".

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think there's reasonable middle ground "so secure no person could possibly get in" and "possible for a toddler to get into without much effort".

Yes, but do we really have to engineer zoo exhibits for that 1 child in a x million?

Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
But again....4 million PLUS people...not a single issue.

Upvote 0

aieyiamfu

Nov 13, 2015
✟27,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Very sad. I didn't think gorillas were usually that aggressive. At least not as savage as chimpanzees. If the boy fell into a chimp enclosure, he'd likely be torn to pieces.

The main viewing areas of the great ape house at the St. Louis Zoo are glass enclosed. These are the orangutans, and the chimp and gorilla exhibits are similar. You can get closer to the animals, with greater safety.

orangutanhabitat_micahusher.jpg
I used to live in Saint Louis, the kids and I loved to go to the zoo.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I've visited that exhibit at the Cincinnati Zoo a number of times. It seemed very safe to me as a parent, so I had no worries when I was there with our young son, at least no worries about him being able to get into the exhibit itself. The things I worried about were 1) having him wonder off or 2) having someone kidnap him, so for those reasons my wife and I would never take our eyes off of him, but we never thought twice about him finding a way to get into the habitat itself, it seemed far to secure for that :eek:

If I had thought, for even a second, that my son (who is a climber, BTW) could have possibly done what that 3 yr old did there recently, I would have never taken him into the habitat area to begin with! So I agree with several others here, surely our zoos need to construct their exhibits in such a way that they are absolutely 3 yr old proof (and 8 yr old proof for that matter), no matter how determined they may be to get in.

--David

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums