Dating outside race

Level_Seven_Paladin

Aug 18, 2004
Arlington, Virginia
✟330.00
Faith
Christian
Ok.. so I met this girl that is great to talk to, I wanted to be upfront and tell my parents I met someone I liked while away at school- but was asked if she were black like me.

Ive never felt it was wrong to date outside of ones race, but it sounds like my family has an issue with it. I really do like her and do not know what to do..

help?

al_man

Seeker of Justive
Apr 25, 2011
Scotland
✟7,875.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Personally in this day and age Racism should no longer exist, yet there is still a minority of people out there who are still small minded. But in the instance of your parents I'd ask them if it was an issue for them, and then ask them why? Aren't we told to love one another regardless of gender, color and everything else under the sun?

Upvote 0

Level_Seven_Paladin

Aug 18, 2004
Arlington, Virginia
✟330.00
Faith
Christian
Thats exactly how I feel, but it totally threw me off guard when I heard this, especially concidering that and then thinking of how hard it was for me to find someone I like in the first place. I was overjoyed when I entered this relationship, now Im worried.. I dont think Im wrong, I really dont.

Please pray for me

Upvote 0

al_man

Seeker of Justive
Apr 25, 2011
Scotland
✟7,875.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As long as God is always first in your life then it shouldn't matter what race of girl you want to have a relationship with, as God's love knows no race as we are all one through Jesus. :D

Again I'd just ask if it was a problem, and then ask why it is a problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟205,549.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
:D

IMO, the only race you need to not stray from when dating is the Human Race.

But seriously, they may be more worried about perceived flak you may receive from society as a couple and any issues that may arise for children of mixed race if you should have any children. Just ask them what their concerns are and pray they are honest with you.

Reactions: al_man
Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok.. so I met this girl that is great to talk to, I wanted to be upfront and tell my parents I met someone I liked while away at school- but was asked if she were black like me.

Ive never felt it was wrong to date outside of ones race, but it sounds like my family has an issue with it. I really do like her and do not know what to do..

help?

I wouldn't worry about it if your parents don't approve of the person because of race.

You are 26 and an adult. If they don't like the person because of the color of their skin then thats their problem and not yours.

Upvote 0

Daughter of Ararat

Yeshua's Rose of Hayastan
May 4, 2010
✟9,539.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
I wouldn't worry about it if your parents don't approve of the person because of race.

You are 26 and an adult. If they don't like the person because of the color of their skin then thats their problem and not yours.
Quoted for truthiness.

Upvote 0

godshines

Nov 13, 2006
✟325.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
as someone of another race (i'm african american) i can honestly say I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. Every time I mentioned that my sister or brother was dating someone, the first question my father would ask is"are they black?" It's because of what he grew up in... think about it (I am 29), our parents grew up during a time when racism was kind of tolerated, and slowly fading out. We are in a period where we don't know as much or feel as much of the racist vibe as they did, so to them, it's just a crazy thing to consider dating outside of our race! (I am speaking from experience and from my opinion so this may not apply to everyone). Just recently my dad said to me... if you brought home a white guy (no offense readers), I would be okay with it... and my dad is 57. So I'm just saying. Personally, I am all for all races dating, because we are one race... the human race that may have different cultural tendencies all based on where we lived, and who we grew up with. I do think you may face some challenges, a bit more than a 'typical non interracial couple' but if you two love each other and God you should be able to lean on him through the tough times. However, I pray her parents are accepting and that your parents will be because some people are a bit narrow minded and have pictures of what their grandchildren will look like etc. etc....i'm not saying allll parents are like this, but unfortunately i was going through this when i was with my ex... his mother didn't want him dating or marrying 'a black girl'... she was concerned what her friends would think yadda yadda. It was tough.
Sorry for the long post, hope it helped!

Upvote 0

Harmony118

Unconventional Christian
May 2, 2011
✟7,699.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
I am half black and my fiance is white. My parents never cared, never cared to ask the race of whoever I was interested in and neither did his. Well, his dad is one of those people who is a "when I get mad racist" but we have no communication with him as my fiance chooses not to. My fiance's mother is white and pretty much exclusively dates black men. We're quite a mixed up family lol

It seems like your parents aren't against it, but curious. They may have an issue with it at first but I find once most people get to know the other person, they let their prejudices drop.

Upvote 0

Level_Seven_Paladin

Aug 18, 2004
Arlington, Virginia
✟330.00
Faith
Christian
Thankyou so much for all your responses, I really appreciate it. It just came to me in a time where I was really happy about everything and I wanted to be up-front with my family. I do not like to keep anything from them so when I finally met someone I was not ashamed of I told them. She really is all Ive wanted and I know Im blessed by it. I told my parents she was white and it does not bother me at all. Their response was "Well then Im happy for you".

I had been praying for a two years to meet someone who would value my feelings and beliefs. I actually took awhile from dating because of some old hurt I felt, when I met her in january though I knew it was right. Our mutual friends stood in the gap for us cause actually- we both liked each other and never knew the other did till last month lol.

So now at this point, she would like to introduce me to her father. Her father lives about two hours away so when he picks her up we are all going to dinner.

Again thankyou for all your advice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm glad it went well for you. I'm convinced ultimatly sterotypes and pre-conceived notions of what other races are like are about 90% of the problem.

I wouldn't call it racism per-se I would call it a distrust.

I think the difference is really important to understand. I think the vast majority of people don't hate people because their skin color is differnt. The fact is that they just don't trust them because they don't feel like they have a lot in common with them at its mildest form. In the worst form they have had previous bad experiences.

And I have to say that doesn't just apply to skin color, it also applies to many other things.

Upvote 0

PaulOguns

May 3, 2011
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟7,648.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
There is nothing wrong with dating outside your race, there is no racism in the body of Christ, no Jew or gentile, in Christ we are all one and the same, if God doesnt look at skin color but looks at the inside then we should do the same. It is man that looks on the outside - God looks on the inside, because it is what is inside a person that really matters, not the color of their skin.

However, if you are going to date outside you race, then be prepared to understand the culture of the other person so that it doesnt cause conflicts in the relationship

Upvote 0

MPV2006

Jun 3, 2011
Tamarac, Florida
✟7,638.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

help?
Brother, know you are not alone! God bless you friend! :) I am a white Italian-American man dating a black woman of Haitian descent. My girlfriend's name is Jenny, and I am Mike. I met Jenny working at my previous job back in September as I worked at Macy's in the local mall where I live. We met over the greatest common interest of all- we both know Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior! We were friendly already, but we found out that we were both born-again Christians, we became really good friends and really grew on each other. We grew very close and started hanging out with each other outside of work often, and numerous times we would attend church together. What I really liked about Jenny is that she is not one of those "nominal" Christians, but she really loves the Lord with all her heart and she is on fire for Christ, and you could see it in the way she acted- a very kind, loving, and caring person. She has a very powerful testimony of how she came to know Christ too, as she was entangled in the world before finding Him. I also think she is a beautiful person- both inside and outside. I don't care at all that she is black, I love interacting with other races and love racial diversity and being that I spent most of my life in South Florida, I am used to having alot of African-American and Caribbean friends so I understand their culture from being around that so much. I live in an area that is very ethnically diverse. She is a beautiful dark-skinned lady. I met her in mid-September and by late October to early November we started dating as we grew very close. Like any relationship, our relationship has had many ups and downs, it will never be perfect, and there have even been times we threatened to break off the relationship with each other, but we love each other so much that we would always find a way to reconcile and forgive each other, no matter what happens.

Like you my brother, many of my family members also have issues with interracial relationships. My grandma, though I love her deeply, and she is not a racist, she has a problem with interracial dating. She emigrated to the United States from Italy back in 1950, and lived in New York in a time when everyone was kind of divided by the neighborhood they lived in. It is not much this way in Florida, but in New York City (more so in that time, not really like this today however) people tended to stick with people of their culture, so it was rare to see a black person in a predominantly Italian neighborhood, likewise it was rare to see a white person in a majority African-American neighborhood. So it's not that they are racists because they even have black friends, but as far as interracial marriage and relationships they are very closed-minded towards that. I am not exclusive and I am open to dating any race, as long as she is a Christian and it is God's will for me to be with her, but being that I grew up around alot of black culture I always felt comfortable around their race and I always liked black women. But again, I don't mean this in any exclusive way, because I love every race and more so God does, and He does not judge us by the color of our skin (Praise the Lord, right my friend?). My grandma and even my mom are not happy about me dating a black woman. It offends me because I love this woman so much, irregardless of her skin color, I think Jenny is a wonderful Christian woman who if it be God's will I would love to marry and spend my life with as one flesh before the Lord! The thing that troubles me is that my mom and grandma are both Christians, and they have this prejudiced mindset. Also, not to knock on my family because I love them, but they tend to be very strong-minded in their opinions and if you do something they disagree with, they will always have some kind of comment for you. It is dead wrong and I have had many discussions and arguments with them on the race issue, and I just pray that the Lord will renew their minds and change their hearts. The race issue is a sensitive one, and it has caused many problems between Jenny and I, not between each other but due to the fact that my family thinks and acts this way. It is upsetting because Jenny feels ostracized by my family. Many times, especially on the holidays, my grandma would always make a big dinner at her house and invite everyone from the family over and even a few friends. She never went out of her way to invite Jenny- I always had to be the one to ask if I can bring her along with me. When I talk to my family on the phone, they never ask about Jenny or bring her up unless I mention her first. Back in the summer, even before I met Jenny, I was talking with my grandma one night, and she said if I married a black woman she is not sure if she would even attend my wedding. I love my grandma very much, but I was very offended by that, and when I told Jenny that, she was also very hurt. It is also sad because Jenny's family is very nice to me, and they are very inviting and understanding people who also love the Lord. I would love to see Jenny get that same treatment in return!

My brother, one thing that might help you is this. We know that God doesn't judge us by the color of our skin (Romans 10:12). Ask the Lord to lead you in Scripture and by His Holy Spirit on how to address this to your family. We can't do it alone or in our flesh but if we allow God to lead us, Jesus will guide us every step of the way in our thoughts and actions, as we allow the Holy Spirit to guide us and renew our minds and hearts by His Word. Another thing brother is pray for guidance in the relationship you are in and that God would help you to love your girlfriend in a Holy Spirit-led way. Don't let your family or anyone discourage you if you really love this woman. Your family probably loves you very much brother, and I am sure you love them very much too. But one thing too that even I need to learn is that at the end of the day my family can't hold my hand, they can offer criticism whether it be positive or negative, but all in all if the Lord is leading me and I love that person, may God's will be done. God bless you friend, much love in Christ brother, you are in prayer! Let me know how things are going friend, and feel free to drop me a private message any time if you like.

Much love in Jesus Christ,
Michael V.

Upvote 0

MPV2006

Jun 3, 2011
Tamarac, Florida
✟7,638.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Did God command the Israelites not to marry other races?
Hi brother Michael!

God commanded the Israelites not to marry certain peoples because of their practices (worshipping false gods and idols, etc.), not because of skin color.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums