Data reveal FBI abuses in secret surveillance

MidnightBlue

June Carter, pray for us!
May 16, 2005
✟11,111.00
Faith
The FBI has conducted clandestine surveillance on some US residents for as long as 18 months at a time without proper paperwork or oversight, according to classified documents scheduled to be released today. [...]

In one case, FBI agents kept an unidentified target under surveillance for at least five years, including more than 15 months without notifying Justice Department lawyers after the subject had moved from New York to Detroit. [...]

In other cases, agents obtained e-mail messages after a warrant expired, seized bank records without authority, and conducted an improper ''unconsented physical search," according to the documents

More at Data on FBI cite abuses in secret surveillance

horuhe00

Contributor
Apr 28, 2004
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
Visit site
✟21,931.00
Country
Puerto Rico
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Fly4Christ said:
Did they have any reason to conduct this? If they were (suspected) terrorists that they were monitoring, then I don't really care how they keep tabs on them.

"Break the law as long as it doesn't harm me." Great... :D

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
MidnightBlue said:
The FBI has conducted clandestine surveillance on some US residents for as long as 18 months at a time without proper paperwork or oversight, according to classified documents scheduled to be released today. [...]

In one case, FBI agents kept an unidentified target under surveillance for at least five years, including more than 15 months without notifying Justice Department lawyers after the subject had moved from New York to Detroit. [...]

In other cases, agents obtained e-mail messages after a warrant expired, seized bank records without authority, and conducted an improper ''unconsented physical search," according to the documents

More at Data on FBI cite abuses in secret surveillance

While I can't say I'm surprised, I find it sad that our nation's top law-enforcement agency apparently has no qualm about breaking the same laws they are sworn to protect. Sadder still are the American's who may feel they are justified if they are going after a suspect.

We should be up in arms over this, if the FBI is trampling on our rights then who is left to enforce our rights? For those who want to argue that if they are going after a terrorist than they have their blessing, the question still remains that if they still have enough to keep the person as a suspect then shouldn't they be able to get new warrants to prolong the search? If they can't, then chances are that person doesn't deserve to be a suspect any longer.

In fact, it sounds as if in many of these cases they were going after an innocent person. Worse, if this person is guilty than gathering information after the warrant expires will give this suspect grounds for the dismissal of his/her case. In the cases where they are using the Patriot Act, this only further highlights why this is such a bad piece of legislation.

If we don't take our rights seriously and demand the respect of our rights than at some point the government will take them away.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
Fly4Christ said:
Did they have any reason to conduct this? If they were (suspected) terrorists that they were monitoring, then I don't really care how they keep tabs on them.

One shouldn't throw out oversight and checks and balances just because someone throws out the word "terrorist." If you do, the FBI can just call someone a suspected terrorist whenever they want to do something they don't have the legal authority to do.

Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
So what? Who cares if they are monitoring people?

'Oh, but what if they did it to you!?'

If they watched me they'd be bored silly, as I often am.

I suspect people who cry the loudest about this have something they would not others to see about them. Perhaps something they should be under surveilance for?

Upvote 0

horuhe00

Contributor
Apr 28, 2004
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
Visit site
✟21,931.00
Country
Puerto Rico
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Autumnleaf said:

I suspect people who cry the loudest about this have something they would not others to see about them. Perhaps something they should be under surveilance for?

I for one don't want to be suveilenced while I'm taking a bath. If they are female agents, they'd brobably have a laughing fit. :o And if it's male agents... :sick:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
Autumnleaf said:

It's prone to abuse. What happens if a corrupt agent decided they don't like you? Perhaps, you are in competition for the same person's affection, or you are competing with the agent's friend's business?

Besides, there are many things that are private but not illegal. For example, no one wants FBI agents noting the frequency one has sex with one's spouse.

Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
fragmentsofdreams said:
It's prone to abuse. What happens if a corrupt agent decided they don't like you? Perhaps, you are in competition for the same person's affection, or you are competing with the agent's friend's business?

There was a decent movie about this. Think Ray Liotta was in it. Anyways, if a police officer abused this authority they should be held accountable.

fragmentsofdreams said:
Besides, there are many things that are private but not illegal. For example, no one wants FBI agents noting the frequency one has sex with one's spouse.

Again, a government worker squandering time on such nonsense should be canned and given a bad reference. The main thing I'm concerned about is bad guys hiding behind a 'right to privacy' so they can do perverted things or plan terrorism with relative impunity. Most cops I know are fairly straight laced. The less than honest ones usually get identified as a round peg unable to fit the square hole and cast aside.

Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Autumnleaf said:

Ah the age old cry of the soon-to-be-oppressed...."If you're not guilty you have nothing to worry about."

I'm sure the founding fathers would be all for the idea of government monitoring whomever they choose. Aren't you?

I'm a pretty average fellow. I keep within the lines of the law (except on I-275 where I tend to speed :) ) and the government has nothing to fear from me....but call me oldfashioned....I don't want the government poking its nose into my personal life.

Upvote 0