Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Cruz had the loan he didn't report to Wall Street bankers at his wife's bank.

Cruz issues an official looking letter to Iowa voters. Local folks were furious.

And now Cruz (actually his people), in writing, told folks that Carson had dropped out and went Florida, and repeated this lie at several caucuses). This continued even after, Cruz and his people knew, in writing, that Carson was still in the race.

This is adding up.
==========
It doesn't matter much in delegates. Cruz got 8, Trump 7 and Rubio 7.

What matters is the continuing perception that the folks that work for Cruz have few limits in what they will do to win votes. Of course, many consider this a positive. Evangelicals tend to reward honesty.

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Is there anything wrong with honesty? I will say that Carson ( though he is still in the race the setback may or may not cost him.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Cruz had the loan he didn't report to Wall Street bankers at his wife's bank.
Actually, he did report it ... just not the multiple times required.

Have you ever inadvertently omitted something when reporting? How about on your IRS returns?
Cruz issues an official looking letter to Iowa voters. Local folks were furious.
Personally, I didn't care for that one at all. In truth though, Romney apparently did the same thing ... as the technique is in the Republican playbook. If I were Cruz I'd make sure all campaign staff knows not to do such things going forward.

Honestly, I've gotten worse mailings in this campaign from other leading candidates which were blatant outright LIES.
And now Cruz (actually his people), in writing, told folks that Carson had dropped out and went Florida, and repeated this lie at several caucuses). This continued even after, Cruz and his people knew, in writing, that Carson was still in the race.
Let's get the source right ...

CNN told that story. Next, the Rubio campaign repeated it in an attempt to get Carson voters. After that the Cruz campaign jumped on board when it appeared that the CNN story was correct.
This is adding up.
To what? That you didn't bother to learn the details? Do you want to continue to spread incorrect stories and falsehoods?

Details matter. That's why Cruz won, btw. Just sayin ...

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually, he did report it ... just not the multiple times required.

Have you ever inadvertently omitted something when reporting? How about on your IRS returns?

You can't compare personal tax returns with those of public figures. BTW, as you say, he did report one of the loans to the Senate in their annual reporting. However, even there, he didn't disclose the reason for the loan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/16/u...port-a-second-campaign-loan-in-2012.html?_r=0

And with regard to the other two, I understand that this kind of activity is normal for candidates, you give Romney as an example. That does not mean that this kind of activity will be acceptable to evangelicals. BTW, his folks made no effort to change their tune when they got written information that they had been spreading lies. Again, this kind of activity is normal in campaigns. However, Cruz wants to be the candidate standing on his evangelical values. This simply tarnishes than image a bit.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
And with regard to the other two, I understand that this kind of activity is normal for candidates, you give Romney as an example. That does not mean that this kind of activity will be acceptable to evangelicals. BTW, his folks made no effort to change their tune when they got written information that they had been spreading lies. Again, this kind of activity is normal in campaigns. However, Cruz wants to be the candidate standing on his evangelical values. This simply tarnishes than image a bit.
I don't disagree. I wish the Cruz campaign was perfect in every way. It's not. Neither is Ted Cruz ... though he is a principled man with strong values and constitutional principles.

The choice before us is relative to the other candidates though. It's always useful to keep that in mind for proper perspective.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't disagree. I wish the Cruz campaign was perfect in every way. It's not. Neither is Ted Cruz ... though he is a principled man with strong values and constitutional principles.

The choice before us is relative to the other candidates though. It's always useful to keep that in mind for proper perspective.
Yup

I was only speculating whether he might lose any of the evangelical vote of this continuing list of mistakes.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Yup

I was only speculating whether he might lose any of the evangelical vote of this continuing list of mistakes.
Evangelicals don't usually demand perfection ... though many seem to want someone considerably better than the choices which have been offered recently.
wink_smile.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Cr

So evangelical dislike Cruz now for being too aggressive while Carson too passive.
Lets be clear.

I have asked whether any evangelicals would be affected by these mistakes. There is no question about whether Cruz will continue to be the darling of the evangelicals. That will continue. As always in politics, the question is the numbers.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Lets be clear.

I have asked whether any evangelicals would be affected by these mistakes. There is no question about whether Cruz will continue to be the darling of the evangelicals. That will continue. As always in politics, the question is the numbers.
Of course ... and the objective is to drive down those numbers. That is what this is about.

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist

Ted Cruz’s Iowa Mailers Are More Fraudulent Than Everyone Thinks
January 31, 2016

... the Cruz campaign decided to adopt the “social pressure” techniques to turn out voters in Iowa for Monday night’s caucuses ... At the top of the mailers, in a bold red box, are the words “VOTING VIOLATION.” Below that warning is an explanation:

You are receiving this election notice because of low expected voter turnout in your area. Your individual voting history as well as your neighbors’ are public record. Their scores are published below, and many of them will see your score as well. CAUCUS ON MONDAY TO IMPROVE YOUR SCORE and please encourage your neighbors to caucus as well. A follow-up notice may be issued following Monday’s caucuses.

Below that, a chart appears with the names of the recipient of the mailing as well as his neighbors and their voting “grade” and “score.”

A further explanation appears below the chart:

Voter registration and voter history records are public records distributed by the Iowa Secretary of State and/or county election clerks. This data is not available for use for commercial purposes – use is limited by law. Scores reflect participation in recent elections. [Emphasis added.]

After seeing the mailers, Iowa’s secretary of state, Paul Pate, issued a statement condemning Cruz’s tactic:

“Today I was shown a piece of literature from the Cruz for President campaign that misrepresents the role of my office, and worse, misrepresents Iowa election law. Accusing citizens of Iowa of a “voting violation” based on Iowa Caucus participation, or lack thereof, is false representation of an official act. There is no such thing as an election violation related to frequency of voting. Any insinuation or statement to the contrary is wrong and I believe it is not in keeping in the spirit of the Iowa Caucuses.

Additionally, the Iowa Secretary of State’s Office never “grades” voters. Nor does the Secretary of State maintain records related to Iowa Caucus participation. Caucuses are organized and directed by the state political parties, not the Secretary of State, nor local elections officials. Also, the Iowa Secretary of State does not “distribute” voter records. They are available for purchase for political purposes only, under Iowa Code.”

On Saturday night, Cruz responded. “I will apologize to no one for using every tool we can to encourage Iowa voters to come out and vote,” he told reporters during a campaign stop in Sioux City.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...lers-are-more-fraudulent-than-everyone-thinks
This attempt to intimidate the Iowa electorate by the Cruz Campaign, threatening to expose their lack of participation in public, is a not only fraudulent, but a reprehensible lie.

How can Cruz and his fellow conservatives justify this “VOTING VIOLATION” letter mailed to the electorate with the not-so-subtle threat that they and their neighbors will be "graded/scored" publically, despite the statement the Iowa Secretary of State’s Office that:

- there is no such thing as an election violation related to frequency of voting.

- the Iowa Secretary of State’s Office never “grades” voters

- nor does the Secretary of State maintain records related to Iowa Caucus participation

-caucuses are organized and directed by the state political parties, not the Secretary of State, nor local elections officials

- the Iowa Secretary of State does not “distribute” voter records.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Any attempt to intimidate the Iowa electorate by the Cruz Campaign, threatening to expose their lack of participation in public, is a reprehensible act.

How can Cruz and his fellow conservatives criticize Obamacare for its noncompliance penalties, but justify this “VOTING VIOLATION” mailed to the Iowa electorate with the not-so-subtle threat that they and their neighbors will be "graded/scored" and that "... voter registration and voter history records are public records distributed by the Iowa Secretary of State and/or county election clerks!"
For one Obamacare was forced on the taxpayer while no one has to obey something they got in the mail.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Any attempt to intimidate the Iowa electorate by the Cruz Campaign, threatening to expose their lack of participation in public, is a reprehensible act.

How can Cruz and his fellow conservatives criticize Obamacare for its noncompliance penalties, but justify this “VOTING VIOLATION” mailed to the Iowa electorate with the not-so-subtle threat that they and their neighbors will be "graded/scored" and that "... voter registration and voter history records are public records distributed by the Iowa Secretary of State and/or county election clerks!"
Actually, most of that information is quite accurate ... and a matter of public record. Campaign contributions are also a matter of public record and I received a mailer in 2012 with exactly that information about myself and my neighbors from a liberal group. Iowa politics is a dirty game ... and has been. Alerting people of that fact is more of a public service than dirty campaigning.

I just wonder though just who in the Cruz campaign organization thought the words "Voting Violation" would be a good idea? :scratch:

It might be good to let that person off the campaign bus at the first opportunity.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

I expect that you aren't a Republican.

The question is whether Republicans, and especially evangelical Republicans, care about these violations. Trump is testing the water.

The party of Nixon doesn't usually care about dirty tricks. I'm not sure why this year would be any different.

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
Actually, most of that information is quite accurate ... and a matter of public record. Campaign contributions are also a matter of public record and I received a mailer in 2012 with exactly that information about myself and my neighbors from a liberal group. Iowa politics is a dirty game ... and has been. Alerting people of that fact is more of a public service than dirty campaigning.

I just wonder though just who in the Cruz campaign organization thought the words "Voting Violation" would be a good idea? :scratch:

It might be good to let that person off the campaign bus at the first opportunity.
Paul Danny Pate, Jr., Iowa's Secretary of State, and also a Republican has stated publically that this "Voting Violation" letter is not only factually incorrect but "... not in keeping in the spirit of the Iowa Caucuses."

By defending his right to use "every tool we can to encourage Iowa voters to come out and vote," Cruz is defending his campaign resorting to "shame mailing" based on the false argument that "the ends justify the means!"

Last edited:
Upvote 0