Creative ways shy Christians can witness?

candle glow

whatever I want to be
Jan 2, 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
✟18,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are there any witnessing methods that don't work and serve only to generate hostility?

Telling people they will go to hell unless they follow a prescribed formula for salvation is like to not work and generate hostility, especially when there are hundreds of different formulas which claim to be THE way...

Upvote 0

MZS

May 18, 2009
✟15,214.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Telling people they will go to hell unless they follow a prescribed formula for salvation is like to not work and generate hostility, especially when there are hundreds of different formulas which claim to be THE way...

But to cite the scriptures that speak of impending judgement and the need for redemption through Jesus is essential. If nothing else, John 3:16 sums it all up very nicely. Not sure what formula you are speaking of, but the Word is generally sufficient. God will reveal the correct formula to them. I guess I see your point about citing a "formula" that becomes a series of works.

Upvote 0

candle glow

whatever I want to be
Jan 2, 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
✟18,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But to cite the scriptures that speak of impending judgement and the need for redemption through Jesus is essential. If nothing else, John 3:16 sums it all up very nicely. Not sure what formula you are speaking of, but the Word is generally sufficient. God will reveal the correct formula to them. I guess I see your point about citing a "formula" that becomes a series of works.

Hi mzs. Thanks for your thoughts. I agree that sharing the scriptures with people about what is means to be saved is a good idea. In particular, though, the chick tracts made a distinction between helping people and salvation.

In other words, if people don't follow the formula, then even showing love for others becomes pointless. I can't see that this is consistent with what Jesus taught.

The formula I am specifically referring to regarding chick tracts is the "sinners prayer". While I do not disagree with the good intentions and feelings communicated in the sinners prayer, I can't see that it is necessary for salvation, especially since it is not taught in the Bible in the same way it is taught in the chick tracts.

The story of the Good Samaritan comes to mind. In the story, the samaritan showed love to a complete stranger. Jesus used him as an example of the kind of people God is looking for. There was no sinners prayer, no reading the bible, no going to church, etc. He just showed genuine love.

I think this is similar to what theofane shared a few posts ago about how we can show the love of Christ without even saying that's what we are doing.

Upvote 0

candle glow

whatever I want to be
Jan 2, 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
✟18,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It doesn't matter if you do or say the wrong thing. What matters is that you are out there trying.

Well, I kinda think it does matter if we say or do the wrong thing. The fact that God's grace is available there for us when we do say or do the wrong thing should not cause us to believe that saying or doing the wrong thing doesn't matter.

Upvote 0