✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
10 illegal baby names | - Yahoo!

What does everyone think about "creative" baby names? I think my "favorite" from this list is Albin, spelled "Brfxxccxxmnpcccclllmmnprxvclmnckssqlbb11116" declared not allowed by Sweden.

Personally, I think celebrities are ridiculous for some of the names they come up with, but I'd rather shake my head and move on rather than declare a name not allowed.

H

hijklmnop

I think it's cruel and I don't understand parents who would stick some of those names on their kids and send them out in the world. Clearly not thinking of the child's best interests!

In any case, it's hard to know where to draw the line. I remember several years ago parents were not allowed to name their new daughter "Ivory" because it was also the name of a soap. Honestly I thought it was a beautiful name!! So, it can go too far...

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
The people who choose these names obviously never had to spend their entire life pronouncing and spelling them for others. My name is only slightly unusual and spelled as plainly as possible. However, it is almost always mispronounced. As a kid, I always corrected people but now, it is easier to just go with the flow and go by whatever. My daughter has a slightly unusual name but a very normal and easy nickname. My son's name is also as traditional as it goes. Neither are common but everybody spells and pronounces them correctly.

Upvote 0

Lilymay

Veteran
Oct 23, 2006
USA
✟13,176.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Except that's not a dash so it would technically be "le-hyphen-a".

Silly parents :p.

lol dsrohe.

My daughter's name is relatively common... but not the spelling.

My son's name is not common.. but got it off a movie so it was thought of before lol.

You know when you go in stores they have things like keychains or pencils with names on them... well neither of my children will find theirs on them.

But they don't mind their names :)

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It makes it more difficult sometimes when you have to choose a name that sounds good in two languages. Fortunately, there are a lot of English names that are popular and sound good in my wife's language. Couples intermarried with Koreans, Japanese, and Chinese may have to struggle coming up with something that can be easily translated from one language to another.

Upvote 0

EmilyF

Vroom...
May 8, 2008
Columbus, OH
✟8,287.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
La-a is a myth. I'm kind of a name nerd and used to belong to a baby names message board that was all about mocking bad baby names.

I do not like creative names of alternate spellings (unless they're legitimate, like Rebekah). It makes things really hard on kids and on official records.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I saw that it was considered likely to be a myth. I forget where I read about it, but I know it wasn't an email. Might have been a blog.

I think the main thing is that it doesn't seem that unlikely as a name, given some of the other given names out there.

Upvote 0
M

MessianicMommy

7) Miatt (Germany)
Country living up to stereotype alert! Surprise, surprise the Germans are somewhat officious when it comes to baby naming laws. Regulation-loving Deutschland has an entire department (the Standesamt) which decides if names are suitable. Miatt was rejected because it didn't clearly show whether the child was a boy or a girl, but sometimes the decisions are somewhat arbitrary...
Has Germany banned any other names? The likes of Stompie, Woodstock and Grammophon were turned down, whereas the similarly strange Speedy, Lafayette and Jazz were allowed.
I can attest to this. When you submit that you have given birth and the details, you give the name you chose and find out within a short period of time if it is ok or not. Most people do not do middle names, so if you do (like we did) - it's a second first name here.

We were not sure if our second child's name would be approved due to Spongebob's friend Squidward carrying the same name here in Germany -- Thaddäus.

I can understand why the Standesamt does this "go between". With people picking names which won't let children fit in well, it's difficult to decide what works and doesn't or will put your child at a disadvantage in their entire school career (generally 24-30 years or longer for some PHDs) and also at an employment disadvantage.

When people look at your resume/CV - not only are your names included, but your photograph as well. The likelihood of being hired goes better if you have a more assimilated (Western/European) name [see here: http://www.thelocal.de/society/20100209-25145.html], and you're good looking. [see here: http://www.thelocal.de/education/20111221-39635.html]

With school, a child can be pigeon-holed as early as 4th and 5th grade, when they must decide what kind of higher education they will go after, and whether they'll go to a high school geared towards trade school, university or college. It's just a fine line one has to be very careful with.

It sounds very "clinical" but it works :p

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟963,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm a bit of a name nerd, too. We went with Biblical names. With girls there seems to be a little latitude creatively-speaking. We used words that I had not seen used as names before, like Jubilee & Maranatha. I also coined two of them using my limited understanding of Hebrew: Nissiah (presumably "Banner of Yahweh") & Joshana (pronounced Yo-shaw-nuh, a guesstimation of the Hebrew form of "Hosanna").

Their names are in my profile.

Upvote 0

CrystalBrooke

I'm almost positive I don't care what you think
Jun 16, 2004
Tennessee
Visit site
✟19,777.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't like "creative" names and I hate "creative" spellings, it just looks like the parents are illiterate. I like basic, traditional names. My daughter's name is Emily. If this one is a girl she'll probably be Sarah (though I like Anna much better but hubby doesn't). If it's a boy...we're still working on it, but traditional names are being discussed, I favor Jack. :)

Upvote 0