Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
LAS VEGAS — Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto, the first Latina elected to the Senate, will hold onto her seat in Nevada after enduring a bruising campaign against Republican Adam Laxalt, who fell short of ousting the Democrat despite severe midterm headwinds, NBC News projects.

The outcome follows days of protracted mail-in ballot counting, with the results resting largely with the state’s most populous county, Clark County, which posted updates once a day since Tuesday. A race long predicted to be within the margin of error was indeed close through the end.

Cortez Masto defeats Laxalt in Nevada, handing Democrats control of the Senate

Reactions: FreeinChrist

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
LAS VEGAS — Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto, the first Latina elected to the Senate, will hold onto her seat in Nevada after enduring a bruising campaign against Republican Adam Laxalt, who fell short of ousting the Democrat despite severe midterm headwinds, NBC News projects.

The outcome follows days of protracted mail-in ballot counting, with the results resting largely with the state’s most populous county, Clark County, which posted updates once a day since Tuesday. A race long predicted to be within the margin of error was indeed close through the end.

There are 6 Hispanic Senators. Four are Democrat, two are Republican.
U.S. Senate: Hispanic American Senators

There are 46 Hispanic members serving in the House of Representatives (Congressional Research Service 9/22).

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
There are 6 Hispanic Senators. Four are Democrat, two are Republican.
U.S. Senate: Hispanic American Senators

There are 46 Hispanic members serving in the House of Representatives (Congressional Research Service 9/22).

I really only posted the article to show that Democrats have retained the Senate, which I am happy about.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I really only posted the article to show that Democrats have retained the Senate, which I am happy about.
I did some research. The nation is about 60% white. The House of Representatives is about 25% minority. One writer reported grade schools are half minority.

I am selfish. I like the Democrats because I might get Medicare within two years. I did not draw Social Security at 62, but am waiting as the monthly payout increases every year I wait until I am 70, then I must use it or lose it.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I am selfish. I like the Democrats because I might get Medicare within two years. I did not draw Social Security at 62, but am waiting as the monthly payout increases every year I wait until I am 70, then I must use it or lose it.

My mom voted for Obama because she was newly out of work, at 58 years old and the prospects of her getting a job were slim to none, so she voted for him because he wanted to extend unemployment benefits. She is a Republican.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My mom voted for Obama because she was newly out of work, at 58 years old and the prospects of her getting a job were slim to none, so she voted for him because he wanted to extend unemployment benefits. She is a Republican.
My dad was in the military, retired after 20 years, then worked for a defense contractor until he was 70. He was not supposed to be political when he worked in the Pentagon. I was a kid, but sensed we were Republican. My youngest brother was a Young Republican, but switched to Democrat after completing his ROTC commitment and marriage. My dad’s defense company donated to both Republican and Democrat candidates. Dad became a Democrat during his retirement. My friend Beth listened to Rush Limbaugh, a conservative radio talk show host. She was offered an early retirement from the Federal government, then switched to Democrat. I hated atheist communist totalitarian governments during the cold war, but do not think Social Security is communism.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I hated atheist communist totalitarian governments during the cold war, but do not think Social Security is communism.

Nor do I. There are many things that are being discussed and many that don't like the idea throw around the word communism for those things. I am thinking more and more they are using it as a trigger word.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,093,387.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Democrats don't vote because of giveaways; Republicans don't vote for tax cuts. There are always several reasons.
But if someone needs healthcare or extended unemployment I don't look at it as any more selfish than other reasons why people vote. Voting to own more and more dangerous guns can be selfish. Voting because of DACA and because you want to see your older brothers and sisters become citizens can be selfish. So what?

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟369,099.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
And so the red wave fails. Unless Herschel can turn things around in the runoff, the democrats will have an absolute majority in the Senate. Looks like they'll lose the House by single digits. Which gives Biden the best midterm election results in a couple of decades.

And the recriminations among republicans continue, as they attempt to figure out what happened to them.

Republicans blame Trump for midterm disappointments
Ahead of a possible 2024 presidential campaign announcement, sources say former President Donald Trump is increasingly bitter at potential rivals and infuriated at being blamed for GOP midterm failures. He has gone after Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin.
Republicans blame Trump for midterm disappointments

Former President Trump sought to pin blame on Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) Sunday after Republicans lost the battle for control of the Senate.

While the GOP is still favored to win the House, the party fell far short of its expectations heading into Tuesday, and many Republicans have blamed the former president and the candidates he backed in key swing states.

However, Trump to his social media site on Sunday to make the case that the midterms were McConnell’s fault, due in part to the Senate GOP’s campaign arm not spending big on Blake Masters’ bid to unseat Sen. Mark Kelly (D) in Arizona.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campai...for-gop-election-losses-he-blew-the-midterms/

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟914,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

hmmm 48.9% to 48% ... interesting

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟369,099.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
hmmm 48.9% to 48% ... interesting
Yep. Nevada is a swing state, but moderates and conservative republicans were disgusted by Laxalt touting fake fraud stores about the 2020 election. Should have been an easy win in a mid-term election. Another case of what Mitch McConnell referred to as a low quality candidate.

Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0