"Copenhagen bars harassed by locals trying to enforce Sharia law"

LinguaIgnota

Nov 26, 2014
✟59,588.00
Faith
Atheist
http://nypost.com/2016/05/12/copenhagen-bars-harassed-by-locals-trying-to-enforce-sharia-law

This article has to be a journalistic low-point.

First off, there has been one, one, incident where a group of youths entered the bar and made claims about sharia. It is hard to understand why New York Post has chosen to run with this angle when it's so far fetched. In reality, the problem, which is very real, is with loosely tied groups of young second generation wannabe-gangster immigrants who threaten and attempt to extort money from a few bars in Copenhagen. The vandalism is connected to them.

Then there's these little nuggets of awesome:

Inger Støjberg, the federal government’s minister of interrogation[...]

Inger Støjberg is the minister of integration. Denmark has no such thing as a "minister of interrogation". I recognize that the mistake could be the result of a typo and lazy proofreading. This next part, however, can't:

“You all have opportunities. You just need an education and to get on and find a job,” Støjberg told the crowd, according to the Dutch newspaper BT.[...]

BT is a Danish, not Dutch, tabloid. In fact, another Danish tabloid, Ekstra Bladet, just ran a story about the New York Post article on their website. Even the two-bit hacks at arguable the least accurate and most polemic newspaper in the country felt that the New York Post article was substandard...

Always be wary of wild claims about far-away lands. And always be skeptical of sensationalist stories with click bate-esque headlines.

Four Angels Standing

2Peter 1:21 Cry Out For Wisdom Grace Heals
Apr 18, 2016
Dallas
✟11,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Let's oppose journalism so that we remain ignorant of what's happening abroad.

People chuckled when Londoners traveled abroad and spoke of sharia law zones there.
All it takes is one incident to show that the intention is there to start the process of implementing Sharia further.
Sharia doesn't apply to non-Muslims.However, Sharia faithful can cite sharia violations by non-Muslims as a means and manner to demarcate their Islamic territory, borders, etc... in a non-Muslim country. And they can use the religious freedom laws of that country to do so.

Islam is not about assimilating into a western culture. It's about Acculturation.

Upvote 0

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
People chuckled when Londoners traveled abroad and spoke of sharia law zones there.
Nah. What happened was that Londoners chuckled when people abroad spoke of sharia law zones, which we know (because we live here!) don't exist.

Upvote 0

Four Angels Standing

2Peter 1:21 Cry Out For Wisdom Grace Heals
Apr 18, 2016
Dallas
✟11,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Nah. What happened was that Londoners chuckled when people abroad spoke of sharia law zones, which we know (because we live here!) don't exist.
Anyone can claim to live anywhere online.

The borough of Tower Hamlets is something anyone who is actually in London will want to try to enter. Take pictures, see for yourselves. :) Ignore those that keep to one line of disinformation. Pro-Islam, anti-Christian.

Upvote 0

Oafman

Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
The borough of Tower Hamlets is something anyone who is actually in London will want to try to enter.
I burst out laughing in my office when I read that.

Until I moved two years ago, I lived in Bromley-by-Bow (within earshot of Bow Bells, I am sooo fake cockney). Bromley-by-Bow is in the borough of Tower Hamlets. But eventually I had to move. Not because of Islamists, you understand, but because of an invasion of hipsters. Thousands of bloody hipsters. I think most of them were baristas. The worst kind.

When I lived there, I used to try to enter my neighbourhood all the time. Amazingly, I always seemed able to enter it. The burka disguise probably helped, but I was never turned away by the caliphate border guards.
I now live in New Cross, in the borough of Lewishamstan. It's full of immigrants, trying to convert me to their religion. African pentecostal churches I believe, promising miracles to order at every service. I keep meaning to pop in.

London now has a Muslim mayor. The first western capital to do so. And we couldn't be prouder of the fact that, as a city, we judge people on what they say and do, rather than what they look like, where they come from, or what their religious beliefs are. Why not come and visit, and find out for yourself? Bring all your credit cards!

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I burst out laughing in my office when I read that.

Until I moved two years ago, I lived in Bromley-by-Bow (within earshot of Bow Bells, I am sooo fake cockney). Bromley-by-Bow is in the borough of Tower Hamlets. But eventually I had to move. Not because of Islamists, you understand, but because of an invasion of hipsters. Thousands of bloody hipsters. I think most of them were baristas. The worst kind.

When I lived there, I used to try to enter my neighbourhood all the time. Amazingly, I always seemed able to enter it. The burka disguise probably helped, but I was never turned away by the caliphate border guards.
I now live in New Cross, in the borough of Lewishamstan. It's full of immigrants, trying to convert me to their religion. African pentecostal churches I believe, promising miracles to order at every service. I keep meaning to pop in.

London now has a Muslim mayor. The first western capital to do so. And we couldn't be prouder of the fact that, as a city, we judge people on what they say and do, rather than what they look like, where they come from, or what their religious beliefs are. Why not come and visit, and find out for yourself? Bring all your credit cards!

I'll be there next year. Did not have nearly enough time there prior to heading up to Scotland. :wave:

Upvote 0

Oafman

Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
I'll be there next year. Did not have nearly enough time there prior to heading up to Scotland. :wave:
Glad to hear it.

While you're here, why not head over to Tower Hamlets? By doing so, you get to prove (as if proof were needed) that it's not a mini-caliphate. And actually, TH includes some fairly cool stuff. Brick Lane is a very trendy area, famous for South Asian food (hundreds of choices for curry!), with plenty of bars, micro-breweries and quirky hipstery shops (if you like that kind of thing). Canary Wharf is a big financial district, with shops and restaurants. It's not too interesting itself (unless you like tall office buildings and bankers), but much of the surrounding docklands areas have been regenerated nicely and are good to look around. Plus there's a cable car which crosses the river over to Greenwich which seems popular with tourists.

But don't forget to bring your burka, or you won't get in.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MennoSota

Sola Gratia
Dec 11, 2015
US
✟22,574.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Of course, what a person says and does may be calculated to gain your trust rather than genuinely be truthful and honest.

Discernment is important.

We know what the Quran teaches in these matters. Why would we dismiss such teachings? As non-Muslims these teachings should be understood and taken seriously rather than trust the words and actions of those who follow these teachings.
Remain ignorant if you wish, but please don't look down on people who read the Quran and recognize Sharia law as a direct application of the Quran.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Let's oppose journalism so that we remain ignorant of what's happening abroad.
No, let's be critical of journalism so that we do know what's actually happening abroad.

The New York Post isn't what I'd call journalism in the first place, though...

Upvote 0

Oafman

Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
There is an inverse proportion between the odds a person believes in Sharia Law zones and that person knowing someone that is Muslim.
Indeed. There's also some sort of relationship between the likelihood of someone believing such places exist in Europe, and the distance they live from those places!

Upvote 0

Oafman

Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Of course, what a person says and does may be calculated to gain your trust rather than genuinely be truthful and honest.

Discernment is important.

We know what the Quran teaches in these matters. Why would we dismiss such teachings? As non-Muslims these teachings should be understood and taken seriously rather than trust the words and actions of those who follow these teachings.
Remain ignorant if you wish, but please don't look down on people who read the Quran and recognize Sharia law as a direct application of the Quran.
I'm happy to accept that most Christians do not want to stone me to death for wearing clothing of mixed fabrics. Regardless of what the Bible says.

So, why should I not trust most Muslims, when they claim they don't want to kill me for doing un-Islamic things?

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
The borough of Tower Hamlets is something anyone who is actually in London will want to try to enter.
I've been there many times. No big deal. Public transportation continues to run like normal, so I don't know why you think people don't go there. The museums are wonderful. Businesses are booming in Canary Wharf.

Was there a certain part of the borough that you had in mind?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
No, let's be critical of journalism so that we do know what's actually happening abroad.

The New York Post isn't what I'd call journalism in the first place, though...

It's articles like this, and those that promote those "no-go zones", that make me question whether or not the freedom of the press is actually a good thing.

Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Glad to hear it.

While you're here, why not head over to Tower Hamlets? By doing so, you get to prove (as if proof were needed) that it's not a mini-caliphate. And actually, TH includes some fairly cool stuff. Brick Lane is a very trendy area, famous for South Asian food (hundreds of choices for curry!), with plenty of bars, micro-breweries and quirky hipstery shops (if you like that kind of thing). Canary Wharf is a big financial district, with shops and restaurants. It's not too interesting itself (unless you like tall office buildings and bankers), but much of the surrounding docklands areas have been regenerated nicely and are good to look around. Plus there's a cable car which crosses the river over to Greenwich which seems popular with tourists.

But don't forget to bring your burka, or you won't get in.

I'm male. I'll need my beard and turban disguise. Not so much for the hipster shops but the micro-breweries sound good. I like English ales but your selection needs a bit of an expansion. ;)

Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

LinguaIgnota

Nov 26, 2014
✟59,588.00
Faith
Atheist

That actually sounds a lot like Nørrebro - the part of the city where the stories in the OP took place. It's a big mishmash of old and new, affluent and poor. The bars and heavily overpriced cafes are littered among halal butchers and take away kebab shops.
I have friends who live there and I enjoy visiting from time to time. Usually, we'll share a meal and a couple of drinks before we head out to one of the many bars in the area. And never once have we been stopped by the Sharia police.

Of course, not everything is cake and rainbows. It is a part of the city where, statistically speaking, you run an increased risk of being mugged. And the perpetrators are likely to be descendant from muslim immigrants. That's a sad reality in Copenhagen; but it has very little, if anything, to do with religion. Personally, I tend to blame bad parenting and an all too lax society. An entire generation has been raised outside mainstream society, maintained by welfare benefits - and that has made them unable to function as responsible citizens. Curiously, recent reports have indicated that those are the exact kind of youths who are likely to become radicalized (as we've seen in Paris and Brussels). Again, not because they're overtly religious, but because it gives them a purpose and an identity.

Upvote 0

Oafman

Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Was there a certain part of the borough that you had in mind?
Probably East Ham, where there are street names written in both English and Urdu. Which, inexplicably, seems to really upset bigots.

I'm male. I'll need my beard and turban disguise. Not so much for the hipster shops but the micro-breweries sound good. I like English ales but your selection needs a bit of an expansion. ;)
You're out of date. The craft beer revolution of the last 5 years or so has seen an explosion in popularity of very well made beer. We were behind the US in this regard, but are catching up fast. London is full of great micro-breweries. Get to Bermondsey, just east of Tower Bridge. You can spend the day staggering from one brewery to another there. And of course, the traditional ales are still around too.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Probably East Ham, where there are street names written in both English and Urdu. Which, inexplicably, seems to really upset bigots.

You're out of date. The craft beer revolution of the last 5 years or so has seen an explosion in popularity of very well made beer. We were behind the US in this regard, but are catching up fast. London is full of great micro-breweries. Get to Bermondsey, just east of Tower Bridge. You can spend the day staggering from one brewery to another there. And of course, the traditional ales are still around too.

Ah! Last time I was there was in 2011 for my honeymoon. Glad to hear you guys are catching up with us. I know when I was in Ireland last year they had some wonderful new beers that I was very impressed with. If you like lighter ales and get a chance to try it I highly recommend Crean's lager.

http://dinglebrewingcompany.com/?age-verified=9dd524f3e5

Upvote 0