Consumption & Enviroment

SuperCloud

Sep 8, 2014
✟3,725.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Mayweather has the money and the right to spend his earning as he wishes. If I had his level of financial wealth I would purchase luxury goods too.

(Hey, I already wear Aussiebum underwear whereas most men my age probably purchase more cheaply constructed, less colorful, and less expensive underwear.)

Knowing myself I would suppose it's very unlikely I would ever buy as many--or as expensive--as automobiles as he does. Though, I could see myself having two luxury cars and a truck. I could also see myself only having one luxury car or no car at all.

And I'm not into gambling like Mayweather. I think he's put 6 figures or even a million dollars on a single bet before. Actually, I recall news reports that the ex-husband of Pamela Anderson (I think her name is) won $40 million in a single bet from a guy that placed a $40 million bet.

Anyways... I suppose some may regard me as a mean guy for saying that fingers should not be pointed at the newborn babies--or their parents--in the slums of the Developing Countries like India for "destroying the environment" via consumption of the earth's resources. I also reject the notion the whole of planet earth is overpopulated. Mind you... India may well be reaching its "carrying capacity."

(Also, a lot of the negative remarks aimed at Mayweather and his spending is motivated out of racism and envy.)

News video of Mayweather's luxury cars: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nbc-y...uffeur-shows-off-fleet-of-cars-141635026.html

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Mayweather has the money and the right to spend his earning as he wishes. If I had his level of financial wealth I would purchase luxury goods too.

(Hey, I already wear Aussiebum underwear whereas most men my age probably purchase more cheaply constructed, less colorful, and less expensive underwear.)

Knowing myself I would suppose it's very unlikely I would ever buy as many--or as expensive--as automobiles as he does. Though, I could see myself having two luxury cars and a truck. I could also see myself only having one luxury car or no car at all.

And I'm not into gambling like Mayweather. I think he's put 6 figures or even a million dollars on a single bet before. Actually, I recall news reports that the ex-husband of Pamela Anderson (I think her name is) won $40 million in a single bet from a guy that placed a $40 million bet.

Anyways... I suppose some may regard me as a mean guy for saying that fingers should not be pointed at the newborn babies--or their parents--in the slums of the Developing Countries like India for "destroying the environment" via consumption of the earth's resources. I also reject the notion the whole of planet earth is overpopulated. Mind you... India may well be reaching its "carrying capacity."

(Also, a lot of the negative remarks aimed at Mayweather and his spending is motivated out of racism and envy.)

News video of Mayweather's luxury cars: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nbc-y...uffeur-shows-off-fleet-of-cars-141635026.html

Not saying the topic cannot be discussed - but this sounds like a topic more suited for the American Politics section or the News/Current Events forum than TAW, unless you are actually inquiring on Orthodoxy and in some way tie it in what you're saying. Just noting that since other non-Orthodox people have done that before and others noted that it did seem like placing things in the wrong section

Upvote 0

SuperCloud

Sep 8, 2014
✟3,725.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Maybe so, Gxg.

I'm not really desiring to post on those two boards though.

Number one, I'm not a Republican, so, I'm not one that thinks human population growth and consumption patterns have no effect on the environment.

Number two, I'm not a Democrat, so, I don't get all confused or have anxiety fits when it can be clearly pointed out many Democrats militantly preaching that world is overpopulated and therefore the environment is being destroyed, live the life of consumption of maybe 20,000 Americans combined into one individual.

And all that being said the USA has the 3rd largest population on earth and still telling people to come on over and consume more. So, the people the "righteous" and "moral" and so-called "smart" are targeting with their propaganda are the dark skinned peoples of the developing nations.

I have as much faith in the U.S. and Western media as an atheist has in the Catholic Church or Christianity as a whole.

Not that I don't love watching movies or commercials. I do. Awesome. Very awesome. I like horror flicks, the Fast and Furious series, and movies were men get shot and bullets can pulled out of backs because they never penetrate deep nor travel around in zig zag patterns tearing up organs. I love watching these things.

I especially like commercials. And corporations pump enough money into commercials that they evidently believe people are easy enough to be led and tricked by watching and listening to media stories.

But I'm becoming persuaded that a person's religion is merely whatever they believe. If you're a Christian driving an SUV and living in a house in the USA with electricity rather than living in a tiny shack or mud hut, and you believe that a new baby being born in the slums of India is sucking the air out of your lungs, then as you cast you vote for Obama then that is your religion.

Jesus said He is the *truth* and the light and the way. He never said "I am the religion."

When you can dismiss *truth* and even reality as some created term called "religion" then you can well... dismiss truth and reality.

Frankly, the labels "religion" and "politics" and "current events" are just labels for the same thing. I think so anyways.

Democrats and Republicans fight more between each other than Catholics and Orthodox or Christians and Muslims. At least in the USA. So, if a Democrat militantly disagrees with a Orthodox Christian as well as a Muslim about marriage and morals and whether or not their own car or that baby in India is the problem... I don't see how they're not militant adherents of religion (called the "Democrats")?

Upvote 0

SuperCloud

Sep 8, 2014
✟3,725.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I don't understand what this has to do with Orthodoxy.......

Possibly nothing. Possibly just a little. Or possibly everything to do with it.

I don't know.

I'm not a part of Orthodox culture and the "instincts" it infuses in one's thinking and relations to things. Recall that I was reared Catholic (also other things like American, Midwesterner, Wisconsinite, ethnic Black-American, part of Hip Hop culture and so on). So, like the Orthodox mind or person my "instincts" do not respond reactionary to painted art in churches of Mary or veneration of saints.

I may be guilty of assumptions here. That's why it's best not to assume. But in Catholicism even at the Vatican level the morality of consumerism, protecting the environment, and the debate over whether the world is overpopulated or not does at time come under discussion. So, I was figuring, or just assuming, it's a moral topic in Eastern and Oriental Orthodoxy.

Or maybe this all ties into my mind as how whatever you believe is in fact your religion. I'm going to start a thread on this related to use and even prescription use of anabolic steroids and female hormones. As most Americans have been indoctrinated by state or Federal sources to mentally compute these things as high level moral issues--and justification for incarcerating fellow American citizens in the so-called "Land of the Free," while expanding the rights of others using these substances (under the Political Correct clause).

My thinking doesn't tend toward compartmentalization. I have the ability to do it, otherwise I would never be able narrow a focus down and come up with a thesis statement in a academic paper. But in general my mind naturally tends towards a broad, sweep, of thinking of a tapestry of many different things converging. Maybe more like a theater play or historical-fiction novel than a thesis statement or the economic transformation towards professional "specialization."

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Possibly nothing. Possibly just a little. Or possibly everything to do with it.

I don't know.

I'm not a part of Orthodox culture and the "instincts" it infuses in one's thinking and relations to things. Recall that I was reared Catholic (also other things like American, Midwesterner, Wisconsinite, ethnic Black-American, part of Hip Hop culture and so on). So, like the Orthodox mind or person my "instincts" do not respond reactionary to painted art in churches of Mary or veneration of saints.

I may be guilty of assumptions here. That's why it's best not to assume. But in Catholicism even at the Vatican level the morality of consumerism, protecting the environment, and the debate over whether the world is overpopulated or not does at time come under discussion. So, I was figuring, or just assuming, it's a moral topic in Eastern and Oriental Orthodoxy.

Or maybe this all ties into my mind as how whatever you believe is in fact your religion. I'm going to start a thread on this related to use and even prescription use of anabolic steroids and female hormones. As most Americans have been indoctrinated by state or Federal sources to mentally compute these things as high level moral issues--and justification for incarcerating fellow American citizens in the so-called "Land of the Free," while expanding the rights of others using these substances (under the Political Correct clause).

My thinking doesn't tend toward compartmentalization. I have the ability to do it, otherwise I would never be able narrow a focus down and come up with a thesis statement in a academic paper. But in general my mind naturally tends towards a broad, sweep, of thinking of a tapestry of many different things converging. Maybe more like a theater play or historical-fiction novel than a thesis statement or the economic transformation towards professional "specialization."

what?

Upvote 0