Visit site
✟18,018.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This is a long story, but I'll try to break it up into paragraphs. I am going to be referring to my history growing up because I think it has affected my marriage. I believe the lies that were thrown in my direction from my family caused me to just settle for the first man who would have me.

I grew up in a very unusual family. I was adopted by a single parent mother when I was 8 years old, and my grandfather tried to take the role of my father. In reality, I was more of an extension daughter of his, my mother was 43 when she adopted me but she had never even been on a date since nobody met the approval of her father.

I was homeschooled starting the end of 5th grade, was best friends with a boy from then until he moved away in 2000. His family was afraid that he was becoming romantically attracted to me, which of course, in homeschooling circles, you just didn't do that. The parents would have to meet and approve the match, and I would not be 18 until that December. They forced him to move away even though he had turned 18, and told him he could have no further contact with me.

During my teenage years I was on a medicine that caused me to more than double my body weight over the course of six months. I also developed trichotillomania, which left me bald. Though I was cut to around 800 calories a day and forced to do 90 minutes of cardio a day, I could not seem to lose weight. They wanted me to be a size 4, which they said was the proper size for a 5'4" woman. My ribs were sticking out at a size 14. They said I was fat and bald and ugly and that no man would ever want to marry me if I couldn't stop being bald and fat.

Ok, so I'm going somewhere with this. My best friend's family was right, he was getting romantically interested in me. But we still had no contact, even when I was 20. Then his parents told me he had died in a car crash. I later found out they had told him I had died the same way.

I was completely devastated. The one man I thought could ever love me was taken from my life. And I have never gotten over it. At the same time, my family began to espouse the ideal of "biblical betrothal" basically where they pick and choose my husband for me. They chose a man who was twice my age. I was now 21 and had never been to college. The man convinced my family to let me go away to college and live in the dorm, just for one semester, so that I wouldn't feel as if I missed out on the experience. I was totally oblivious to the fact that my family was at that moment arranging my marriage.

So about a week into the semester of school I found the guy that is now my husband. He was obese, had Asperger's syndrome, anxiety, lupus, and Borderline Personality Disorder. But hey, a fat, bald girl couldn't exactly be choosy, right? We had a couple of similar interests and he didn't think I was ugly. That was something at least.

My family totally disapproved when I told them we were engaged three weeks later. I see now they were right. They told me "But you're betrothed to Travis," and I was shocked to hear that. That even more solidified my decision to marry my husband.

Travis backed out when he heard I was not into the arrangement. My family claimed that I was going to be their ruination, that Travis was going to pay $25,000 for me as my bride price. My family tried everything in their power to break me up with my husband, forcing us to go into a long distance relationship where I could talk to him for 5 minutes a week, where I had to raise the money myself to visit him (but I was never allowed to get a job), sending me to places to try to indoctrinate me into their form of Christianity where I was not allowed to contact him at all. Eventually they ran out of places to send me and I was allowed to come home. I was locked in my bedroom (I had an adjoining bathroom) and food was pushed in through a dog door. I was allowed out of my room only to go to church. By this time I was starving to see him, because as you know absence makes the heart grow fonder. My family eventually said that they were sick and tired of "allowing our relationship" and that if I wanted to continue then I would be homeless.

I chose homelessness. We got married while we were homeless, since he hadn't been able to be approved for SSI. I got married because I thought I would never find another man who would be attracted to me. I got married because I was afraid of my family changing their mind and locking me back up in my bedroom. Travis was at this point out of the picture entirely, but my family might have found someone else.

My marriage has been hell. We were happy perhaps for the first six months, then he forced me to have sex with him when I did not want to. To be fair he has never done that since.

My husband is unable to make decisions for himself, he needs to be reminded on basic hygiene issues, when he gets angry he is scary. He has never hit me, but he was and is emotionally and sometimes verbally abusive.

He has frequent pity parties, if I do not join him he will run out the door screaming that he's going to kill himself by throwing himself in front of a semi. On occasion he's pushed ME out the door and locked it behind him. I have no phone to call the police if that happens.

This past January was the worst: on more than one occasion he called me something that would get censored out here. I almost left then. I gave him the second chance he begged for, but I have not been able to trust him since. He still uses me like a mother. He has deteriorated to the point where if I did leave he would need to be in an assisted living home, his family does not want him back. I tried to give him a second chance. But we've had sex only twice since January because I can't get into it. He is not a man. He treats me like a mother then expects me to want sex with him?

I have wanted out for the greater part of two years. We've been married for almost four. Most days I feel like I'm just in a lull between two wars. He's said he'd change before, but always ends up getting worse in the long run. He's slipping back to the way he was even now. I don't know how long I can swing from the barely 70% sane side of him to the more like 90% insane.

My family will not take me back. The women's shelter here is run by a church, they do not approve of divorce, it is a place for a woman to be safe while she seeks marital counseling and reconciliation. Even then they won't take me if I'm not being physically abused. If I left I would not be seeking reconciliation. There is no reconciliation possible with an insane person. I barely earn $200 a month.

I stay because at least here I have a roof over my head and food to eat. But I am afraid of my husband.

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Wow. I'm so sorry. That's a terrible story. In your shoes, I would divorce. Is any of your h's abusive behavior on record? If not, I suggest you start getting it recorded. Although you don't have a phone, you could use a payphone to call 911 when he pushes you out of the apartment, yes? I would do that, and I would have the police come and get this on record. IMO, you should aim to have him removed from your home so that you don't become homeless. If his erratic behavior continues, could you have him committed?

I am saying a prayer for you. I cannot imagine the kind of bullying, abuse and near-torture you have gone through at the hands of your 'family' and then your husband. I'm very sorry.

Upvote 0
May 25, 2010
Visit site
✟18,018.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Wow. I'm so sorry. That's a terrible story. In your shoes, I would divorce. Is any of your h's abusive behavior on record? If not, I suggest you start getting it recorded. Although you don't have a phone, you could use a payphone to call 911 when he pushes you out of the apartment, yes? I would do that, and I would have the police come and get this on record. IMO, you should aim to have him removed from your home so that you don't become homeless. If his erratic behavior continues, could you have him committed?

I am saying a prayer for you. I cannot imagine the kind of bullying, abuse and near-torture you have gone through at the hands of your 'family' and then your husband. I'm very sorry.

There's no payphone around, and I don't know how to drive. And most conveniently, I'm usually pushed out the door or he runs out the door screaming at around midnight or 2 AM or something like that. Once I was locked outside for 45 minutes at midnight in the middle of winter with no coat.

Upvote 0

bethrow

Veteran
Sep 8, 2006
✟12,537.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know your story. I remember when you lived with your family and were trying to get away from them and then married your husband.
I'm so sorry that things have not been good.
When he does this again...go to the neighbors and call the police. Have him arrested for his abusive behavior. I also agree that you need to start documenting everything.
It sounds as if he really should be in a home.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
When you go to the store......are you ever alone? I wonder if from there, you could phone the police. Most police departments (I believe) do have a mental health division (along with access to social workers). That may be the closest avenue for you. Praying for you to see a clear path.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JCLover779

Sep 14, 2012
✟15,749.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Nienna - My heart goes out to you and I will be praying for you. I think you've read some of my story, and can see we share some basic similarities. Whether you were looking for a women's shelter, or divorce, how would you go about it? Besides talking with your neighbors (even so you have a place to go in the middle of the night this winter), can you seek help through his/your doctor's office?

Upvote 0
May 25, 2010
Visit site
✟18,018.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Nienna - My heart goes out to you and I will be praying for you. I think you've read some of my story, and can see we share some basic similarities. Whether you were looking for a women's shelter, or divorce, how would you go about it? Besides talking with your neighbors (even so you have a place to go in the middle of the night this winter), can you seek help through his/your doctor's office?

I don't have a doctor, my husband refuses to get treatment for his Borderline Personality Disorder. I have no insurance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am sorry you're still dealing with this. :hug:

If you want to get divorced, you're going to have to find a way to get to a phone or some kind of social service that can help you get divorced. In the same vein, however you intend to do that, you can use the same method to get yourself to some kind of safety. Even if you have to knock on a neighbor's door and ask to use their phone, or when you go to the grocery store to buy food ask someone there to use their phone - to call the police if nothing else - but getting some kind of help is going to be required no matter what course of action you take.

It's all scary and seems impossible sometimes. There's so much to consider, so many unknowns. But you have to take a first step no matter what you choose to do, unless you just stay. And that doesn't seem very safe.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am sorry you're still dealing with this. :hug:

If you want to get divorced, you're going to have to find a way to get to a phone or some kind of social service that can help you get divorced. In the same vein, however you intend to do that, you can use the same method to get yourself to some kind of safety. Even if you have to knock on a neighbor's door and ask to use their phone, or when you go to the grocery store to buy food ask someone there to use their phone - to call the police if nothing else - but getting some kind of help is going to be required no matter what course of action you take.

It's all scary and seems impossible sometimes. There's so much to consider, so many unknowns. But you have to take a first step no matter what you choose to do, unless you just stay. And that doesn't seem very safe.

:thumbsup:............praying for you, Nienna. Let us know how you're doing.

Upvote 0
May 25, 2010
Visit site
✟18,018.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So I am still here. He hasn't gotten any worse. I understand that marriage is not necessarily to make us happy, but what if you're never happy in your marriage? What if you have been so deeply hurt by that person that whatever good happens from that time out is drowned out by the bad? What if you feel too deeply hurt to give your marriage a real fighting chance?

He may be changing, it may work this time, but I fear it's too late. I have given so much of myself to him that I am too drained to give any more.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mrscruz

Oct 8, 2013
✟7,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear Lord, please guide this special sister during the trouble in her marriage. And her ears shall hear a word behind her saying, this is the way, walk here, when she turns to her right and when she turns to her left.
Please reassure her when she sees a thousand fall on her right side and ten thousand at her left; help her to know that if she follows You, it will not happen to her. Hide her under your protective wings.
Help her to find the narrow path that iwll lead her to life, the abundant life you have for her and for her family. Lord, I pray for a testimony that you can use for Your glory when this troubled or broken marriage is healed and restored! We will give You all the honor and the glory. Amen
Please visit HopeAtLast.com for encouragement.
This is a long story, but I'll try to break it up into paragraphs. I am going to be referring to my history growing up because I think it has affected my marriage. I believe the lies that were thrown in my direction from my family caused me to just settle for the first man who would have me.

I grew up in a very unusual family. I was adopted by a single parent mother when I was 8 years old, and my grandfather tried to take the role of my father. In reality, I was more of an extension daughter of his, my mother was 43 when she adopted me but she had never even been on a date since nobody met the approval of her father.

I was homeschooled starting the end of 5th grade, was best friends with a boy from then until he moved away in 2000. His family was afraid that he was becoming romantically attracted to me, which of course, in homeschooling circles, you just didn't do that. The parents would have to meet and approve the match, and I would not be 18 until that December. They forced him to move away even though he had turned 18, and told him he could have no further contact with me.

During my teenage years I was on a medicine that caused me to more than double my body weight over the course of six months. I also developed trichotillomania, which left me bald. Though I was cut to around 800 calories a day and forced to do 90 minutes of cardio a day, I could not seem to lose weight. They wanted me to be a size 4, which they said was the proper size for a 5'4" woman. My ribs were sticking out at a size 14. They said I was fat and bald and ugly and that no man would ever want to marry me if I couldn't stop being bald and fat.

Ok, so I'm going somewhere with this. My best friend's family was right, he was getting romantically interested in me. But we still had no contact, even when I was 20. Then his parents told me he had died in a car crash. I later found out they had told him I had died the same way.

I was completely devastated. The one man I thought could ever love me was taken from my life. And I have never gotten over it. At the same time, my family began to espouse the ideal of "biblical betrothal" basically where they pick and choose my husband for me. They chose a man who was twice my age. I was now 21 and had never been to college. The man convinced my family to let me go away to college and live in the dorm, just for one semester, so that I wouldn't feel as if I missed out on the experience. I was totally oblivious to the fact that my family was at that moment arranging my marriage.

So about a week into the semester of school I found the guy that is now my husband. He was obese, had Asperger's syndrome, anxiety, lupus, and Borderline Personality Disorder. But hey, a fat, bald girl couldn't exactly be choosy, right? We had a couple of similar interests and he didn't think I was ugly. That was something at least.

My family totally disapproved when I told them we were engaged three weeks later. I see now they were right. They told me "But you're betrothed to Travis," and I was shocked to hear that. That even more solidified my decision to marry my husband.

Travis backed out when he heard I was not into the arrangement. My family claimed that I was going to be their ruination, that Travis was going to pay $25,000 for me as my bride price. My family tried everything in their power to break me up with my husband, forcing us to go into a long distance relationship where I could talk to him for 5 minutes a week, where I had to raise the money myself to visit him (but I was never allowed to get a job), sending me to places to try to indoctrinate me into their form of Christianity where I was not allowed to contact him at all. Eventually they ran out of places to send me and I was allowed to come home. I was locked in my bedroom (I had an adjoining bathroom) and food was pushed in through a dog door. I was allowed out of my room only to go to church. By this time I was starving to see him, because as you know absence makes the heart grow fonder. My family eventually said that they were sick and tired of "allowing our relationship" and that if I wanted to continue then I would be homeless.

I chose homelessness. We got married while we were homeless, since he hadn't been able to be approved for SSI. I got married because I thought I would never find another man who would be attracted to me. I got married because I was afraid of my family changing their mind and locking me back up in my bedroom. Travis was at this point out of the picture entirely, but my family might have found someone else.

My marriage has been hell. We were happy perhaps for the first six months, then he forced me to have sex with him when I did not want to. To be fair he has never done that since.

My husband is unable to make decisions for himself, he needs to be reminded on basic hygiene issues, when he gets angry he is scary. He has never hit me, but he was and is emotionally and sometimes verbally abusive.

He has frequent pity parties, if I do not join him he will run out the door screaming that he's going to kill himself by throwing himself in front of a semi. On occasion he's pushed ME out the door and locked it behind him. I have no phone to call the police if that happens.

This past January was the worst: on more than one occasion he called me something that would get censored out here. I almost left then. I gave him the second chance he begged for, but I have not been able to trust him since. He still uses me like a mother. He has deteriorated to the point where if I did leave he would need to be in an assisted living home, his family does not want him back. I tried to give him a second chance. But we've had sex only twice since January because I can't get into it. He is not a man. He treats me like a mother then expects me to want sex with him?

I have wanted out for the greater part of two years. We've been married for almost four. Most days I feel like I'm just in a lull between two wars. He's said he'd change before, but always ends up getting worse in the long run. He's slipping back to the way he was even now. I don't know how long I can swing from the barely 70% sane side of him to the more like 90% insane.

My family will not take me back. The women's shelter here is run by a church, they do not approve of divorce, it is a place for a woman to be safe while she seeks marital counseling and reconciliation. Even then they won't take me if I'm not being physically abused. If I left I would not be seeking reconciliation. There is no reconciliation possible with an insane person. I barely earn $200 a month.

I stay because at least here I have a roof over my head and food to eat. But I am afraid of my husband.

Upvote 0
Let me start by saying there is no way I could even begin to do what I am advising you to do without the Holy Spirit completing immersing me. I think that's important to acknowledge, because oftentimes we read well meaning, idealistic advice which, in the natural, is impossible to follow so we are completely discouraged by it and it makes us feel worse. So I must begin by saying that we can only do all things through Christ who strengthens us (Philippians 4:13).

Pray to God for a blessing on your marriage - and thank Him every day for the work you believe He is doing to make it a happy and loving one. Ask Him - daily - to fill you with His Holy Spirit to change you so that you are equipped to deal with the seemingly unbearable situation you find yourself in. In the moments where you feel you can't take it anymore, cry out to Him and ask Him for His peace. He is faithful; He will give it to you.

Ask Him to bring out in you the fruits of the Spirit: ....love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control... (Galatans 5:22-23) because I believe that if you develop in these areas, you will influence your husband and this in turn could effect a change in him.

I was struck by what you said about being locked out. The famous evangelist, Smith Wrigglesworth, demanded that his wife not attend church and also locked her out at night so she had to sleep on the porch, when she continued to attend. When the door was unlocked the next morning, she simply smiled and asked him what he wanted for breakfast. By the account the Joyce Meyer gives, he was a tyrant. (I wanted to post a link to the Joyce Meyer article, but because I have recently registered I am prevented from doing so, but if you Google “the truth about prayer and how it works” you should be see a link to Christian Post which brings up the article.)

The result of her continued sweet and loving behaviour had the effect of pouring the "hot coals" that Proverbs 25:22 speaks of and this – eventually - melted him. He became one of the greatest preachers of all time, and I cannot help but wonder how different things may have been had she not have been obedient to Jesus during a time of intense cruelty and provocation.

I also married a man who I hardly knew and we were divorced 10 years later. Now he's been happily married to a Sunday School teacher for several years, and I know from speaking to him that they, too, have had difficult times, but she stuck it out and now whilst she has the reward of a solid marriage, I have regret. You may have made a mistake by marrying the "wrong man", but divorce could be mistake number two. Also, God can do amazing things by “making successes of our messes”.

See, I really feel that because life is often unbearable when we live with a difficult spouse, we - justifiably - feel like throwing the towel in.

However, the fact is God "hates divorce" (Malachi 2:16) and we will find any reason we can to escape what we feel is an unbearable situation but we truly underestimate the power of God to be "our rock" and "our strength" in the most crushing situations, and His ability to use them to help us develop the "fruit of the Spirit".

Pray and seek God, earnestly, diligently, persistently. Confessed to him that it is impossible to go through what you are going through without Him - because it is. Tell Him that you desire to please Him by sticking with your marriage - although you cannot bear your husband. Be totally honest with Him. John 5:15 says that without Jesus, we "can do nothing".

Not one of us could bear the situation you are in in our own flesh; the flesh would run a mile. However, sometimes God doesn't take us out of the most terrible situations - and may even allow them to be prolonged - so that we earnestly seek Him, deepen our relationship with Him and for Him to show us that His power is real and His ability to change people - both you and your husband - astonishing. I read the story of woman who took 20 years to love the man she felt God led her to marry (although she admits she resisted the Holy Spirit because of her intense dislike for the man) but now she has fulfilment.

Remember, God is faithful and He can give you a beautiful and loving husband - by keeping you with the man you are with. However, I think this is more likely to happen after He's changed you first.

God bless you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

iolair

Mostly Harmless
Jun 7, 2004
Exeter, United Kingdom
Visit site
✟15,169.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
So I am still here. He hasn't gotten any worse. I understand that marriage is not necessarily to make us happy, but what if you're never happy in your marriage? What if you have been so deeply hurt by that person that whatever good happens from that time out is drowned out by the bad? What if you feel too deeply hurt to give your marriage a real fighting chance?

He may be changing, it may work this time, but I fear it's too late. I have given so much of myself to him that I am too drained to give any more.
I just read your first post, and your husband sounds abusive and incredibly difficult to live with.

I found a great forum for people suffering in abusive relationships which was a huge support to me when I separated from my ex-wife in 2010; hopefully you might find some reassurance and assistance there too.

Search for the "Our place" forum, or send me a private message and I'll send you the link.

Peace be with you

Upvote 0