Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm conservative as far as Bible teaching goes. I'm not traditional as in music shalt be the organ and women shalt not wear pants.

Conservative. Liberal leans to and also opens the floodgate to moral relativism.

And "progressive" is a huge misnomer, as it means moving towards an improvement when you look it up in the dictionary. What "progressives" believe in is not an improvement.

Upvote 0

AChristian4Life

Jan 28, 2012
✟256.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm conservative as far as Bible teaching goes. I'm not traditional as in music shalt be the organ and women shalt not wear pants.

And "progressive" is a huge misnomer, as it means moving towards an improvement when you look it up in the dictionary. What "progressives" believe in is not an improvement.

That's your opinion. Those of us on the progressive side believe the other side is taking us further down the road of sin and in the wrong direction.

Upvote 0

Nom De Guerre

Who amongst you doesn't see life as permanent?
May 6, 2005
Location, Location.
✟39,609.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I think what most people seem to forget is that Yeshua wasn't about being controversial, a politician, or anything other than the Son of God and intercessor between Yahweh and ourselves; this included stating that He did not come to bring peace, but a sword.

Upvote 0
M

Marycita

I think what most people seem to forget is that Yeshua wasn't about being controversial, a politician, or anything other than the Son of God and intercessor between Yahweh and ourselves; this included stating that He did not come to bring peace, but a sword.
I already repped you, or I would do so again to say ...It's posts like this that make me go "see, he's more than just a bad boy"

...maybe it's better that I didn't rep it, that was more for others than for you I guess ^_^

anywhooo

Upvote 0

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I love when people try to label Jesus as a liberal or some non-sense like that. He's the Son of God, not a politician. I think a little more respect for our Saviour and His word would go a long way in any church.

Reactions: Blank123
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nom De Guerre

Who amongst you doesn't see life as permanent?
May 6, 2005
Location, Location.
✟39,609.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I already repped you, or I would do so again to say ...It's posts like this that make me go "see, he's more than just a bad boy"

...maybe it's better that I didn't rep it, that was more for others than for you I guess ^_^

anywhooo

Aw, I lovers you, Mary :hug:

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Jesus was technically a liberal rabbi. If Jesus was a conservative at his time the second greatest command wouldn't be "love your neighbor as yourself" it would be "keep the Sabbath". By using the definition of his time, Jesus had very nontraditional teachings.

Secondly, we are technically progressive liberals. Most theology kept and taught among mainstream Evangelical and Protestant churches is only about 100-200 years old.

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
^Good points. That's why I generally reject the terms altogether. Too many different meanings and not enough historical context. As with the same terms when they are used in political discussion, they only make sense if one acts as though history began very recently.

Upvote 0

SweetAvenue

Nov 28, 2011
Massachusetts (North Shore)
✟15,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Probably progressive. Some people and some churches still hold fast to the view that Christianity is the only "right" religion and everyone else is going to Hell. Just for the record I'm not accusing anyone of anything. To each his own.

I personally believe that if you're a good person and you live for the good of others and the good of the world that you will be able to make it into Heaven. I believe that there are different religions because that makes it easier to find God. If you've grown up atheist or whatever and you're trying to find God and you just don't "get" one religion, you can try something else.

I do think that some things just don't quite work, though. Polytheism is a little weird, and the Bible says far too much about idol worship and the like being bad for me to really accept it as a legit form of worship. And I think agnosticism is too flakey too (I believe this is agnosticism). A friend of mine believes that there is a God or some form of great creator, but she believes that he, she it, is kind of just a supervisor who sort of passively watches over the world and only intervenes when completely necessary.

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I do think that some things just don't quite work, though. Polytheism is a little weird, and the Bible says far too much about idol worship and the like being bad for me to really accept it as a legit form of worship.

And why should you care what the Bible says, when your soteriological beliefs flatly contradict what the Bible (including Christ Himself) says about salvation? If you're going to reject the very words of Christ, then why get hung up about what the prophets and apostles said about idolatry?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SweetAvenue

Nov 28, 2011
Massachusetts (North Shore)
✟15,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And why should you care what the Bible says, when your soteriological beliefs flatly contradict what the Bible (including Christ Himself) says about salvation? If you're going to reject the very words of Christ, then why get hung up about what the prophets and apostles said about idolatry?

I believe what is said in the Bible. I also believe that good people are saved. I believe that Jesus is too good and loving to not give people a choice. I think we have that choice up to the point of no return. I think when we die we get the choice to accept Christ and if we do then we're in, even if we have to wait. If we don't then I kind of don't want to think about it.

And this is a simplified version. I'll explain more if I have to

Upvote 0

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I believe what is said in the Bible. I also believe that good people are saved. I believe that Jesus is too good and loving to not give people a choice. I think we have that choice up to the point of no return. I think when we die we get the choice to accept Christ and if we do then we're in, even if we have to wait. If we don't then I kind of don't want to think about it.

The problem with this view is that it leaves no incentive for us to accept Christ in this life. If I still have the opportunity to receive Him after I die then I'm free to live this life for myself and do whatever I please since I'll still have a chance to accept Jesus when I die.

Granted, I've known believers and theologians who hold this view but I don't see any biblical evidence for it. It paints God as some kind of spiritual communist who will give everyone the same reward regardless of what they do.

Reactions: Blank123
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That's your opinion. Those of us on the progressive side believe the other side is taking us further down the road of sin and in the wrong direction.

Oh, I'm sure you do. And you pick a self-righteous label, claiming your side is actually the side of progress.

Upvote 0

TomZzyzx

Mar 23, 2011
✟9,184.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
SweetAvenue said:
Probably progressive. Some people and some churches still hold fast to the view that Christianity is the only "right" religion and everyone else is going to Hell. Just for the record I'm not accusing anyone of anything. To each his own.

I personally believe that if you're a good person and you live for the good of others and the good of the world that you will be able to make it into Heaven. I believe that there are different religions because that makes it easier to find God. If you've grown up atheist or whatever and you're trying to find God and you just don't "get" one religion, you can try something else.

I do think that some things just don't quite work, though. Polytheism is a little weird, and the Bible says far too much about idol worship and the like being bad for me to really accept it as a legit form of worship. And I think agnosticism is too flakey too (I believe this is agnosticism). A friend of mine believes that there is a God or some form of great creator, but she believes that he, she it, is kind of just a supervisor who sort of passively watches over the world and only intervenes when completely necessary.

Which "heaven" are you talking about, because this is not the the way you get into the Christian Heaven described in the Bible. Again, different religions cannot lead to the same Christian God. Christianity say Jesus is the only way into heaven and other religions say Jesus is not the only way. The law of non contradiction applies here, A (Jesus is the only way) cannot be A and non A (Jesus is not the only way) at the same time.

Upvote 0

TomZzyzx

Mar 23, 2011
✟9,184.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
SweetAvenue said:

Your right good people are saved, the problem is (since you believe what is said in the bible) that Romans 3:10 says "There is none who does good, not even one" and Romans 3:23 says "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God". So I guess in your view no one gets into Heaven. But this is not the Christian teaching. The Bible says since we are all sinners we need a savior, and Jesus and only Jesus is that savior.

Upvote 0