Gastonia NC
✟4,414.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don;t think I will ever understand Calvanism. I mean why does Paul, Peter, James...ect talk about the dangers of falling/drifting away? shrinking back? Why does Paul "press on towards the goal" why must we "work out" our own salvation?? How come "many are called but few be chosen"?? I do not understand this at all...

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don;t think I will ever understand Calvanism. I mean why does Paul, Peter, James...ect talk about the dangers of falling/drifting away? shrinking back? Why does Paul "press on towards the goal" why must we "work out" our own salvation?? How come "many are called but few be chosen"?? I do not understand this at all...
Don't worry too much about Calvinism. The first thing you need to find out is who God is.

Upvote 0

RobertZ

Feb 26, 2009
Gastonia NC
✟4,414.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This issue has been covered extensively HERE.

Thanks, I checked out that thread but it still didnt answere my questions concerning warnings against falling away etc.........

Or how about Hebrews where it warns that those who are enlightened (but not truly saved) to not fall away.

Upvote 0

TimRout

Biblicist
Feb 27, 2008
Ontario
✟13,717.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks, I checked out that thread but it still didnt answere my questions concerning warnings against falling away etc.........

Or how about Hebrews where it warns that those who are enlightened (but not truly saved) to not fall away.
Remember that the gospel accomplishes two distinct purposes -- redemption to the elect, and condemnation to reprobates. Warning passages do not presuppose a person's inherent ability to respond. There are those who heed God's warnings, and those who don't; but the warnings themselves do nothing to explain WHY one chooses to obey or disregard. To answer the WHY question, we turn to the doctrines of grace.

Upvote 0

Canuckmom

Oct 8, 2007
✟7,875.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

God uses means to accomplish His ends; that's what the warnings are - a means to keep us faithful.
We can see that illustrated in Paul's shipwreck.

And now I exhort you to be of good cheer: for there shall be no loss of any man's life among you, but of the ship.
For there stood by me this night the angel of God, whose I am, and whom I serve,
Saying, Fear not, Paul; thou must be brought before Caesar: and, lo, God hath given thee all them that sail with thee.
Wherefore, sirs, be of good cheer: for I believe God, that it shall be even as it was told me.
Acts 27:22-25 (KJV)

And as the shipmen were about to flee out of the ship, when they had let down the boat into the sea, under colour as though they would have cast anchors out of the foreship,
Paul said to the centurion and to the soldiers, Except these abide in the ship, ye cannot be saved.
Acts 27:30-31 (KJV)

Paul already knew that everyone on board would be saved, yet it was through the means of sailors staying on board to help. That's how I see the Scripture's warnings - as a means to an end.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TimRout

Biblicist
Feb 27, 2008
Ontario
✟13,717.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
God uses means to accomplish His ends; that's what the warnings are - a means to keep us faithful.
We can see that illustrated in Paul's shipwreck.

And now I exhort you to be of good cheer: for there shall be no loss of any man's life among you, but of the ship.
For there stood by me this night the angel of God, whose I am, and whom I serve,
Saying, Fear not, Paul; thou must be brought before Caesar: and, lo, God hath given thee all them that sail with thee.
Wherefore, sirs, be of good cheer: for I believe God, that it shall be even as it was told me.
Acts 27:22-25 (KJV)

And as the shipmen were about to flee out of the ship, when they had let down the boat into the sea, under colour as though they would have cast anchors out of the foreship,
Paul said to the centurion and to the soldiers, Except these abide in the ship, ye cannot be saved.
Acts 27:30-31 (KJV)

Paul already knew that everyone on board would be saved, yet it was through the means of sailors staying on board to help. That's how I see the Scripture's warnings - as a means to an end.
Absolutely! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

student ad x

Senior Contributor
Feb 20, 2009
just outside the forrest
✟29,077.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello there I'm wondering where I can fellowship with brethren who believe in the doctrines of grace

Howdy and welcome. If you've read this thread, you've ran into 2 brothers already.... I would be the 3rd. A safe haven to talk of the doctrines of grace is in the Semper Reformanda forum here. My brother, take some time to get used to the forum structure and the rules. My
smiley_emoticons_my2cents.gif

Upvote 0

TimRout

Biblicist
Feb 27, 2008
Ontario
✟13,717.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hello there I'm wondering where I can fellowship with brethren who believe in the doctrines of grace
Greeting brother, and welcome. :wave:If you're interested, we just got through a lengthy discussion on the Doctrines Of Grace, HERE.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums