Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2010
Silverado
✟52,720.00
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
Last night my gorgeous male cat was sleeping beneath my living room chair. His extraordinary fluffy underbelly was exposed and I couldn't resist so I reached down and began tickling him and tugging on his fluffy little leg. I admit I might have gone too far; he started biting my fingers, but not too hard. But then immediately he released his grip and began licking my fingers. How confusing. What could he be saying? I wonder if this is sometimes how God chastises us. Anyway, biting I understand. Licking I understand. But biting and then licking? confusing. Feel free to post your wise insight.

Leonfrost

May 23, 2011
✟15,874.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Engaged
It's pretty simple really. Cats can sometimes use biting as just another sign of affection. If he enjoyed what you were doing, it's possible he got "carried away" and bit you to show he liked it. Don't think anything of it, especially if it wasn't a hard grip. Think of it like...the difference between a soft hug and a bone-crushing hug. Both are shows of affection, but one has more intensity.

Upvote 0
R

Robin Shawn

Hi zeener. My cat, Lolly, will sometimes lick me and then bite me gently when I pet her. See, she sometimes doesn't want me to pet her. The biting is to tell me that she doesn't want me to pet her; the licking is to tell me that she loves me still and is trying to tell me in a polite way, "please pet me when I'm in the mood."

Your cat bit you then licked you. I think he is saying "I don't like the tickling, but I still love you."

That's my take on it.

Shawn

Upvote 0

znr

Report THIS.
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2010
Silverado
✟52,720.00
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
Hi zeener. My cat, Lolly, will sometimes lick me and then bite me gently when I pet her. See, she sometimes doesn't want me to pet her. The biting is to tell me that she doesn't want me to pet her; the licking is to tell me that she loves me still and is trying to tell me in a polite way, "please pet me when I'm in the mood."

Your cat bit you then licked you. I think he is saying "I don't like the tickling, but I still love you."

That's my take on it.

Shawn

You're right, it must be a gentle admonishment. I have noticed his tender little bites are laced with love, and his sweet tufted paws are always wrapped kindly around my hand while he bites. So...yeah.

Upvote 0

znr

Report THIS.
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2010
Silverado
✟52,720.00
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
It's pretty simple really. Cats can sometimes use biting as just another sign of affection. If he enjoyed what you were doing, it's possible he got "carried away" and bit you to show he liked it. Don't think anything of it, especially if it wasn't a hard grip. Think of it like...the difference between a soft hug and a bone-crushing hug. Both are shows of affection, but one has more intensity.

Sometimes when he bites he snorts and purrs and breathes at the same time. It's a happy sound. He must just be happy.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Last night my gorgeous male cat was sleeping beneath my living room chair. His extraordinary fluffy underbelly was exposed and I couldn't resist so I reached down and began tickling him and tugging on his fluffy little leg. I admit I might have gone too far; he started biting my fingers, but not too hard. But then immediately he released his grip and began licking my fingers. How confusing. What could he be saying? I wonder if this is sometimes how God chastises us. Anyway, biting I understand. Licking I understand. But biting and then licking? confusing. Feel free to post your wise insight.

My cat does that sometimes, I play with him (maybe too rough) and he lets me know that I've crossed the line and puts his mouth around my fingers or hand. It's not a bite just a warning to respect him as a cat-person. After he has put me in my place he goes back to ignoring me as usual. :)

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
In a correlation with how God deals with us, "biting then licking" is reminiscent of the following -

See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand. <-----> Deuteronomy 32:39

The biting (though relatively gentle) would be an act of wounding; and the licking represents a healing act. ( First God wounds, then He heals; and in this context He only wounds as a faithful friend, seeking our eternal good.)

Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful. <-----> Proverbs 27:6

Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knows not what his lord does: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you. <-----> John 15:15

My son, despise not the chastening of the LORD; neither be weary of his correction:
For whom the LORD loves he corrects; even as a father the son in whom he delights.
<-----> Proverbs 3:11+12

Behold, happy is the man whom God corrects: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty: <-----> Job 5:17

See also - PSALMS CHAPTER 107

May The Lord Be Magnified !

wm

Upvote 0

LWB

Jan 28, 2011
Brisbane
✟16,026.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I read somewhere that the anger and pleasure parts of the cat brain are right next to each other, so when the poor dears experience a powerful emotion, it is not uncommon for it to spill into the corresponding section, triggering the appropriate response.

So you might annoy a cat by messing with its sensitive belly and back paw, triggering a reprimanding bite, but then the emotion spills over and becomes an affectionate lick.

My cat will sometimes want to lick my hand, and if I move my hand to avoid it, she'll want to bite me.

Just a quirk of the felines, though I can't think of any spiritual significance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maremma

Feb 1, 2011
✟15,775.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You know there are so many lessons we can learn from God's other creations. Sometimes the lessons need us to pray for better understanding on them.

Cats are indeed a challenge to understand sometimes. I just learned something about one of my "strange" cats this week..Umm for one thing she is smarter than me. LOL

This cat was a feral born outside cat that wound up in my yard when she was about 5-6 weeks old. It took me months to catch the little dickens to get her to the vet for shots and spay. I tried to make her an indoor cat but she was NOT having it and so we have learned to let her come and go as she pleases and to be very careful to be sure she is not accidentally locked in the house or out porch. (She is totally wild and violent if she feels trapped or threatened in any way)
She is the kind that runs like wildfire from all other humans but me and my daughter and my one male cat. Everything else that moves or breathes is hissed at growled at and she runs away.. She will come to me to be loved and petted and purrs like an engine but if another cat comes into view she begins trying to growl at them and purr at me at the same time! (It IS hilarious but she has mastered this), look at cat growl 2 seconds put head in my hand purr two seconds, growl, purr, hiss wildly growl and run like wildfire if other cat comes closer.
SO recently I realized I had a mother raccoon brought her two young ones to be eating the cat food at night. (They learned to use the cat door before the cats to the out porch!) I began locking the cat door at night for fear the raccoons would be in the porch WITH the cats and kill them.
Well my little girl learned fast that the little escape hatch won't let her out and now she won't come in to eat so I have to wait for her to come and put a dish outside for her and stay there to watch her eat then pull the dish. Well the raccoons picked up on this real fast and so instead of running away when I put the lights on and turn the radio on (told that would keep them away) they come running instead!
Sasha was outside on the lawnmower and I put her dish right outside the door for her to come eat. Well the raccoons were hiding under the deck and saw this and came running. I yelled at them to try to scare them away from Sasha but it only worked for a few seconds. I yelled at Sasha to run away but she just stayed laying quietly on the lawnmower. The young raccoons came and looked right at her and she just stayed there quietly not making a sound nor running. I was in shock. She would be flying into the woods if it were another cat yet a big ole raccoon that could kill her in an instant she just sits there!
I got scared and decided to let them eat what I put there in hopes they would get full and not bother her since she wouldn't run and they were not afraid of me all that much either and they were between me and her.They emptied the dishes looked, right at me through the screen turned and looked right at Sasha then ran RIGHT for her! I yelled at them all yelling at Sasha to RUN. She STILL just sat there with her head down. They stopped right at her brushed against her and took off.

I was in a panic that she seemed to have no idea the danger she was in. I tried all kind of stuff to make her come into the porch to eat. I tried to force her to eat during the day by not putting any food out for her at night but she just went hungry and began loosing weight. I was desperate for her.
I began feeding her at night again and of course the raccoons figured it out by the second night and were here to eat too. I asked for advise from a long time feral cat rescuer.
She told me that had Sasha made any noise or even took off running those raccoons would have seen that as a threat and would have then attacked her. She was doing exactly what she needed to do in order for them to not attack her. Even when they ran right up to her she still had the "smarts" enough to submit to them and put her head down and stay quiet.
My passive/aggressive kitty is also a very wise kitty. She knows exactly when to stand firm (gives warning growls and hisses to other cats) and when to submit to the "greater authorities".

Indeed we have a lot to learn from God's other creations. I sure hope to always be as "wise" as Sasha and always know the difference between when to automatically submit and when to run like wildfire.

Upvote 0

znr

Report THIS.
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2010
Silverado
✟52,720.00
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
I was drawn in here by the title and wondered WHERE ON EARTH you were going with that...LOL

Very interesting to think about though...about how God interacts with us.

God spreaks through his word. He also speaks through meows and purrs. :)

Upvote 0

znr

Report THIS.
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2010
Silverado
✟52,720.00
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
You know there are so many lessons we can learn from God's other creations. Sometimes the lessons need us to pray for better understanding on them.

Cats are indeed a challenge to understand sometimes. I just learned something about one of my "strange" cats this week..Umm for one thing she is smarter than me. LOL

This cat was a feral born outside cat that wound up in my yard when she was about 5-6 weeks old. It took me months to catch the little dickens to get her to the vet for shots and spay. I tried to make her an indoor cat but she was NOT having it and so we have learned to let her come and go as she pleases and to be very careful to be sure she is not accidentally locked in the house or out porch. (She is totally wild and violent if she feels trapped or threatened in any way)
She is the kind that runs like wildfire from all other humans but me and my daughter and my one male cat. Everything else that moves or breathes is hissed at growled at and she runs away.. She will come to me to be loved and petted and purrs like an engine but if another cat comes into view she begins trying to growl at them and purr at me at the same time! (It IS hilarious but she has mastered this), look at cat growl 2 seconds put head in my hand purr two seconds, growl, purr, hiss wildly growl and run like wildfire if other cat comes closer.
SO recently I realized I had a mother raccoon brought her two young ones to be eating the cat food at night. (They learned to use the cat door before the cats to the out porch!) I began locking the cat door at night for fear the raccoons would be in the porch WITH the cats and kill them.
Well my little girl learned fast that the little escape hatch won't let her out and now she won't come in to eat so I have to wait for her to come and put a dish outside for her and stay there to watch her eat then pull the dish. Well the raccoons picked up on this real fast and so instead of running away when I put the lights on and turn the radio on (told that would keep them away) they come running instead!
Sasha was outside on the lawnmower and I put her dish right outside the door for her to come eat. Well the raccoons were hiding under the deck and saw this and came running. I yelled at them to try to scare them away from Sasha but it only worked for a few seconds. I yelled at Sasha to run away but she just stayed laying quietly on the lawnmower. The young raccoons came and looked right at her and she just stayed there quietly not making a sound nor running. I was in shock. She would be flying into the woods if it were another cat yet a big ole raccoon that could kill her in an instant she just sits there!
I got scared and decided to let them eat what I put there in hopes they would get full and not bother her since she wouldn't run and they were not afraid of me all that much either and they were between me and her.They emptied the dishes looked, right at me through the screen turned and looked right at Sasha then ran RIGHT for her! I yelled at them all yelling at Sasha to RUN. She STILL just sat there with her head down. They stopped right at her brushed against her and took off.

I was in a panic that she seemed to have no idea the danger she was in. I tried all kind of stuff to make her come into the porch to eat. I tried to force her to eat during the day by not putting any food out for her at night but she just went hungry and began loosing weight. I was desperate for her.
I began feeding her at night again and of course the raccoons figured it out by the second night and were here to eat too. I asked for advise from a long time feral cat rescuer.
She told me that had Sasha made any noise or even took off running those raccoons would have seen that as a threat and would have then attacked her. She was doing exactly what she needed to do in order for them to not attack her. Even when they ran right up to her she still had the "smarts" enough to submit to them and put her head down and stay quiet.
My passive/aggressive kitty is also a very wise kitty. She knows exactly when to stand firm (gives warning growls and hisses to other cats) and when to submit to the "greater authorities".

Indeed we have a lot to learn from God's other creations. I sure hope to always be as "wise" as Sasha and always know the difference between when to automatically submit and when to run like wildfire.

There is a lot to be learned about God's nature through animals isn't there? Sometimes I think animals display more true godly interpretation of life than do we. One thing they don't do is fight over doctrine. They're not better than us but they often behave better than us. Anyway, not to dog on people...too much. :)

Upvote 0