Concerning fasting during Lent, fasting and abstinence on Ash Wednesday, eating endothermic moonfish, drinking coffee, and YOU

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,678,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you are serious as a Catholic, you know at all times what is on the calendrical horizon. If you are a follower of the Vetus Ordo of the Roman Church, you have additional help by means of the “gesima” Sundays. This Sunday is Quinquagesima. That means that Quadragesima (Latin for Lent) is upon us.

Reminder.

According to the 1983 Code of Canon Law for the Latin Church, Latin Church Catholics are bound to observe fasting and abstinence on Ash Wednesday.

Here are some details. I am sure you know them already, but they are good to review.

FASTING: Catholics who are 18 year old and up, until their 59th birthday (when you begin your 60th year), are bound to fast on Ash Wednesday and on Good Friday.

Moral theologians consider what fasting means. Fasting literally means not eating. However, in the manuals we find that fasting is interpreted as 1 full meal and perhaps some food at a couple points during the day, call it 2 “snacks”, according to local custom or law. Two snacks that don’t add up to a full meal. Why is there gap between “not eating” and 1 meal a day. This is because, surely, there are those who because of their profession or the necessities of life, require calories to do their work. Rather than try to parcel out in an paragraph in a manual who merits by work to eat or not eat – which sounds rather creepy – it is reasonable to establish something that pretty much everyone can do as a baseline. You can then ask yourself honestly: Can I do more than that? Or, in the terms of fasting: Can I do less than that?

There is no scientific formula for this. Figure it out.

ABSTINENCE:
Catholics who are 14 years old and older are abound to abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday and on all Fridays of Lent.

In general, when you have a medical condition of some kind, or you are pregnant, etc., these requirements can be relaxed.

For Eastern Catholics there are differences concerning dates and practices. Our Eastern friends can fill us Latins in. In general, their “fast” is more serious.

You should by now have a plan for your spiritual life and your physical/material mortifications and penitential practices during Lent.

You would do well to include some works of mercy, both spiritual and corporal.

I also recommend making a good confession close to the beginning of Lent. Let me put that another way:

GO TO CONFESSION!

Continued below.

• Winner
Reactions: WarriorAngel

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
If you are serious as a Catholic, you know at all times what is on the calendrical horizon. If you are a follower of the Vetus Ordo of the Roman Church, you have additional help by means of the “gesima” Sundays. This Sunday is Quinquagesima. That means that Quadragesima (Latin for Lent) is upon us.

Reminder.

According to the 1983 Code of Canon Law for the Latin Church, Latin Church Catholics are bound to observe fasting and abstinence on Ash Wednesday.

Here are some details. I am sure you know them already, but they are good to review.

FASTING: Catholics who are 18 year old and up, until their 59th birthday (when you begin your 60th year), are bound to fast on Ash Wednesday and on Good Friday.

Moral theologians consider what fasting means. Fasting literally means not eating. However, in the manuals we find that fasting is interpreted as 1 full meal and perhaps some food at a couple points during the day, call it 2 “snacks”, according to local custom or law. Two snacks that don’t add up to a full meal. Why is there gap between “not eating” and 1 meal a day. This is because, surely, there are those who because of their profession or the necessities of life, require calories to do their work. Rather than try to parcel out in an paragraph in a manual who merits by work to eat or not eat – which sounds rather creepy – it is reasonable to establish something that pretty much everyone can do as a baseline. You can then ask yourself honestly: Can I do more than that? Or, in the terms of fasting: Can I do less than that?

There is no scientific formula for this. Figure it out.

ABSTINENCE:
Catholics who are 14 years old and older are abound to abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday and on all Fridays of Lent.

In general, when you have a medical condition of some kind, or you are pregnant, etc., these requirements can be relaxed.

For Eastern Catholics there are differences concerning dates and practices. Our Eastern friends can fill us Latins in. In general, their “fast” is more serious.

You should by now have a plan for your spiritual life and your physical/material mortifications and penitential practices during Lent.

You would do well to include some works of mercy, both spiritual and corporal.

I also recommend making a good confession close to the beginning of Lent. Let me put that another way:

GO TO CONFESSION!

Continued below.
I need confession, yes I do.
Been a few months. [Maybe in Advent?]
I have hypoglycemia [because I quit smoking and gained a little weight so been trying to get it back off so I don't have issues forcing me to eat]
And when I get that straight, maybe easier to eat much less. I eat a couple small meals and one normal meal. I prefer not eating but as of this time, hypoglycemia makes hard fasting a bit bothersome.

• Useful
Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟441,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I'm kind of panicking over this. I may have to talk to a priest about this, because I don't want to do this :sigh: Not that it would be a "get out of fasting" free card but still.
Ahhhh but the graces.

Personally I have this 'Oh no it's lent' and 'O goody it's lent' thing that I deal with every year.
Some moments I'm enjoying my cooperation and participation in what I can offer up and other times I just feel I dread the fasting.
But all in all, we gain so much by giving up so much.
And yeah, fussing over it... is also a penance we have by not fussing.
In the end, keep the good stuff that actually comes from it in mind and that focus alone may help you.

• Useful
Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I always abstain from meat on the required days; luckily for me, I happen to like fish. Fasting, however, is another matter entirely. I used to do the hard fast when I was younger, but since I became diabetic, I get really squirrelly if I don't eat every so often. I try to keep the volume of the meals down, but if I get shaky and lightheaded, I'm gonna eat something; I don't think God will condemn me for that. :)

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,678,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I always abstain from meat on the required days; luckily for me, I happen to like fish. Fasting, however, is another matter entirely. I used to do the hard fast when I was younger, but since I became diabetic, I get really squirrelly if I don't eat every so often. I try to keep the volume of the meals down, but if I get shaky and lightheaded, I'm gonna eat something; I don't think God will condemn me for that. :)
No. In fact those with medical conditions like that or age are under no obligations to fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wolseley
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟441,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Yup, those shakes.
IKR.
So I do a snack size a few times in order to keep the sugar levels - level.
That's how I lost weight to keep from being diabetic. However; if you can't fast, volunteer somewhere?
Maybe at a childrens hospital take in some balloons and stuffed animals for the kids. Or hand made [thrift store] blankets for them to keep.

I used to want to go to hospitals and hold babies too young to live outside the womb but not wanted by the parents.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
However; if you can't fast, volunteer somewhere?
Well, that's a good idea, too; but with my back, hips, and feet in the shape they're in most of the time now, I have trouble just cripping around inside my house, LOL!

I never thought I'd be the hunched-over grandpa shuffling along with a cane, gritting my teeth and groaning every time I stand up or sit down, but here I am, killing it..... :(

• Friendly
Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟441,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well, that's a good idea, too; but with my back, hips, and feet in the shape they're in most of the time now, I have trouble just cripping around inside my house, LOL!

I never thought I'd be the hunched-over grandpa shuffling along with a cane, gritting my teeth and groaning every time I stand up or sit down, but here I am, killing it..... :(
Yeah ikr.
Since that elderly lady fell on me and I saw birdies and stars I wanna scream it hurts my back so bad.

Upvote 0