Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I read the blog post: https://blog.logos.com/2016/05/5-gu...anslation-for-the-right-situation/#more-78126
It was not possible to comment directly, there, the blog server gave a time-out, so I comment here (I'll talk elsewhere about versions):

Far from all translations are suitable for parsing fine distinctions in close study. But I would not limit myself to 2-3 versions, but instead first create a "reading list" which tells me which versions I want to use for which parts or sections of Scripture. I have created such a list and am going to continue to refine it. I don't use the ESV at all and have hidden it from start, but I do use for example the NASB77 and the 1971 RSV 2nd Edition. Also, sometimes I find good translations included in commentaries, for example of Gn in "Torah: A Modern Commentary".
My point is that when I've used some amount of time refining the reading list, I can thereafter while studying feel comfortable about which English Bible versions I open for which sections of Scripture, I probably don't stray too far off of a translation close to the original language grammar. As I use several versions, while reading English I may miss many parallels where the same underlying Hebrew or Greek word has been used, on the other hand seeing those parallels would perhaps require that I recognize the particular English words used from another passage. Perhaps there will be or are some tools available for finding the important parallels while reading one passage. I far from always memorise the exact English words used, anyway.

Mark, perhaps Your blog post is more about spontaneous close study, spontaneous evangelizing, and adapting to the people You serve.

I would add that for reading large chunks of Scripture, to use versions that utilize some distinct wording (vocabulary, less ambiguous phrases) in order for You to not to too quickly skim over what You should grasp from the English text, as You are setting a (somewhat) quick pace anyway and are seldom going to stop several seconds on one expression. The choice of Bible versions is here a bit limited.

I would not use just one version either for reading through the entire Bible or on paper, some versions are good for some parts whereas others are good for other parts and I've been using certain versions for certain parts of Scripture all this time I've been Christian a 2nd time, for now 4 years. (Was Christian as a child, teenager and at first as young adult.) Slowly I've altered most things in my reading list but it's much more mature now than previously. For some parts of Scripture I even start from a commentary (usually Oxford Bible Commentary) and hover over a reference to read the actual Bible verse; or start from the Gk verse-by-verse explanatory compilation (Max Zerwick verbum.com/product/4229/a-grammatical-analysis-of-the-greek-new-testament) and then hover over a verse (for example 2 Pt); or the Gk on which a particular commentary is commenting (f.e. Cambridge Greek Testament Mark 2nd Edition from the early 20th century, or ICC original series on GJn particularly for Jn 1).

Lastly, I WOULD use tools that enable me to compare English Bible versions in a very effective manner and find out about their distinctions for any given verse in the Bible, but if You spot a sale on such a resource the sale is ending now. Tools cost a few hundred $. Usually if You read a hint about a tool and see a price it's typical that it's the last day that it's valid. I don't comment every Day and usually not even every Week on the internet about Bible versions. The tool I wanted to mention, is this one: https://www.wordsearchbible.com/products/27908 (that platform has the exclusive rights and it would be extremely expensive to buy now in print) ... if You contact a sales rep You get an additional 10% off but soon they close for the day, even for $300 it's a tremendous value. For the same money You could of course get several English Bible versions, but You can perhaps not buy the time needed (both) to read and compare them in parallel.

Addition: The good thing about Bible Study softwares, is that You don't have to have the latest versions and most of the features, to be able to read the right Bible version for a particular passage, You just need to choose between the few softwares that have been around a while and are either very easy to use and inexpensive (WORDsearch) or have the possibility for making exact settings (particularly in Verbum You can create reading list, called "prioritising the library") or have great potential for original language work coupled with a great selection of quality resources (Accordancebible.com). What You need to do is make sure the platform has or is likely to offer (search the forums where people have suggested modules) the tools - i.e. add-ons You are willing to use and has interesting English Bible versions (WORDsearch for example has Moffatt (exclusive rights). All these three platforms run on both Windows (version 7 and up) and Mac OSX. Verbum is the most expensive (although version 7 Catholic base-packages may have some value (I have Anglican Silver version 6 and the "Now" subscription and Original Languages version 4)) and requires a lot of horsepower, while Accordance sells commentary sets cheaper and runs fast on any desktop or laptop computer as well as runs offline searches on iPad. WORDsearch 11 has (a limited) co-operation with BibleWorks 10.
Eventually when You've saved up some money, if You've chosen the platform, You can contact sales at WORDsearch and have the build You a custom library, starting with a regular library they offer and You can drop about 40-50 resources from a level Silver library or above. I would do that. So far I don't have a library yet, don't have the funds during version 11.
Last note: Lexicons: I considered getting an old unused copy of HALOT under Verbum cheap, but decided I'll eventually, if I by that time still do Hebrew with Verbum, make the jump from what I have there (BDB unabridged, CHALOT, Analytical Key to the Old Testament (4 vols.) by John Joseph Owens, the latter bought used with student discount) to https://verbum.com/product/29300/the-dictionary-of-classical-hebrew
In Accordance I use the Concise Dictionary of Classical Hebrew and HALOT, the former bought new, the latter used. It's the software I usually use for Hebrew.

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Check the homepage, all of You who are interested have until June 2. 2016 on You to grab that flagship item at the best price. Note, that if You can't process Your order on the website, You need to go to Your settings in Your internet bank and set Your debit card to open in North America, and then call WORDsearch Sales, they will also be able to give You a regular number on which Your reach time dialing also an extension, besides the 800-number on the website:
The tool I wanted to mention, is this one: https://www.wordsearchbible.com/products/27908 (that platform has the exclusive rights and it would be extremely expensive to buy now in print) ... if You contact a sales rep You get an additional 10% off but soon they close for the day, even for $300 it's a tremendous value.

I'm also glad I have print books, I've just put them in OK order, different shelves for different kind of books. There can be a few reasons to buy printed matter, and I would always prefer a print book instead of Kindle (still haven't got any Kindle book even though I have hundreds of Verbum books on my Kindle Paperwhite 2015 model Wifi without ads - it's no-longer possible anymore to put Bible Study software books into it, I used the last chance and got back money from a Church fund Today for this purchase which was necessary because most other devices would emit too much of the harmful blue light). So because of the change that the Paperwhite can't be used for putting further Bible Study software books into it, I don't recommend handheld devices. A laptop with an AMD quad-core CPU is what You're looking at, for example if You want a recent laptop I can vow for the AMD FX laptop chip, it certainly does beat Intel and AMD has come out with an even newer generation of laptop CPU:s now. Of course, if You use a software other than the most demanding one (You know You have the one that demands the most from the computer hardware if You have it) the speed on Intel Ivy-Bridge dual-core CPU:s, whether desktop or laptop, really is enough and by now You should be able to find one quite cheap. There are also some AMD triple-core CPU:s which You recognize from that it says "X3", which if You set it up runs all softwares well. Btw, Verbum has just come out with a free web-browser interface, if You go to the forums and the Noet subforum You'll find the link, I'm not gonna put that link here directly because with that platform if You haven't made purchases for a total of c:a $600 You can barely do anything substantial at all and it barely even boots loaded with a library worth "just" a few hundred $.

Many may think that a Bible with a very thoroughly updated modernized vocabulary has the most even English language, but that isn't true IMO, particularly because we are also talking about the Bible, and this applies also to scholarly books. If You look at when the vast bulk of the English vocabulary that is descriptive and understood by You, originates from, You'll see that it's not from the past 30 Years. I don't mean that language doesn't continue to improve, what I mean is that we tend to forget/neglect to use language which is fully adequate and works as intended despite decades or centuries having passed, we forget/neglect to use more than we learn current highly utilizable vocabulary. Also grammar hasn't changed to a degree that would be bothersome at all when reading the Bible, since Moffatt in the early 20th century, to the contrary most otherwise good versions from the middle two quarters of the 20th century have that very slight distinction to Today, which attracts Your attention. With the most current versions You can be lead to believe You understand the grammar without having checked the syntax of the underlying original language, so a too smoothly flowing translation can actually be a kind of distraction and by that I don't mean reading speed as the differences we are talking about here don't mount to enough to impact reading speed at any noticeable degree - few people sit and read 20 pages of the Bible straight in a row so frequently (several times a Week or Day) that they would even be able to count a couple minutes gained a Week. The Bible varies so much over 20 pages that there's usually little reason to read that much in one sitting, but there are of course exceptions such as certain parts of the Bible or You may sometimes read a version such as either The God's Word or the 2004 Good News Translation 3rd Edition UK-English 66-book Bible - to get a hold of for example extensive lists (laws, genealogies) in the Bible, I've noticed that at least Good News Translation (aka TEV) has a layout that helps in this regards. From start, the Bible has been meant for study.

Upvote 0