JackB03

Mar 7, 2009
Rockwall, Tx
✟7,721.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was battling temptation today(which I now notice more as I became a christian), and I decided to pray to God to help me with temptation. I looked up temptation in the bible and I came across Ephesians 6:10-20.

It talks about the armor of God. Using scriptures seems to be a good way to battle temptations and demons. Im curious what scriptures you use in combat? Or scriptures you know of that can help during temptations.

God Bless,
Jack

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Im curious what scriptures you use in combat? Or scriptures you know of that can help during temptations.

"For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are--yet was without sin." (Hebrews 4:15)

"Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need." (Hebrews 4:16)

"Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted." (Hebrews 2:18)

"No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." (1 Cor. 10:13)

"Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak." (Mark 14:38)

"Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him." (James 1:12)

"Do not offer the parts of your body to sin, as instruments of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God, as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer the parts of your body to him as instruments of righteousness." (Romans 6:13)

"Don't you know that when you offer yourselves to someone to obey him as slaves, you are slaves to the one whom you obey--whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness?" (Romans 6:16)

"If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it." (Genesis 4:7)

"What benefit did you reap at that time from the things you are now ashamed of? Those things result in death!" (Romans 6:21)

"For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live." (Romans 8:13)

"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 6:23)

"The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace;" (Romans 8:6)

Upvote 0

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Outside of scripture, I also like this Jewish quote:

"Evil concupiscence is at the beginning like the thread of a spider's web; afterwards it is like a cart rope." Sanhedrin, fol. 99.

Lust is at first a fine thread of temptation...like a spider's web...easily broken...not strong. But after the sin has fermented in the mind and lust has gained control it is like a cart rope forcibly pulling a man to sin. The secret is to never let evil thoughts control, but put them under subjection to Christ the instant they appear in the mind.

This also brings to mind another verse(s):

When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death." (James 1:13-15)

"Any one who indulges in a sinful thought or corrupt desire, should reflect that it may end in death - death temporal and eternal. Its natural tendency will be to produce such a death. This reflection should induce us to check an evil thought or desire at the beginning. Not for one moment should we indulge in it, for soon it may secure the mastery and be beyond our control; and the end may be seen in the grave, and the awful world of woe."

Barnes' Notes on the Bible Commentary for James 1:15

Upvote 0

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like the scriptures! Thanks alot.... How do you deal with temptation?

Sometimes not very well...I have a problem controlling my eyes and flesh like most men. I take it one step at a time, I ask God to lead me out of temptation and to give me the strength to either look away or say "no" when I am tempted.

I do know that the only time sin can attain mastery, is when I give it my consent. I rely on the fact that because of Christ I can depend on His power and authority to say "no" to sin, but my will must also give it's consent to the Holy Spirit to defeat the power of sin in my life.

Our will must be brought under the Lordship of Christ Jesus.

The verse that says "to live by the spirit is life, to live by the flesh is death" is true, if we depend on Christ we can face temptation and run from it, but if we depend on the flesh we will eventually fulfill it's desires no matter how hard we try not to.

It is a constant battle, but through Jesus Christ we have the victory.

Blessings.

Upvote 0