Visit site
✟143,058.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As you all probably know, both sides in the Colarado case are unhappy.
Suing side are outraged that the Judge decided Trump had conspired, but that President's were exempt from that Article.
Defending side are outrage that the Judge decided Tump had conspired!

But this is a State case. What even happens if the Supreme Court there rules Trump is under the Article and therefore ineligible to run?

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I agree with the judges sentiment in that I understand how's she's looking at it. When the Amendment was drafted, the verbiage was clearly directed at state office holders of the states in rebellion. They didn't include verbiage for federal office holders - especially the President - because to them, it was unthinkable that the President could engage in insurrection.

How times have changed.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,501.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I agree with the judges sentiment in that I understand how's she's looking at it. When the Amendment was drafted, the verbiage was clearly directed at state office holders of the states in rebellion. They didn't include verbiage for federal office holders - especially the President - because to them, it was unthinkable that the President could engage in insurrection.

How times have changed.
Yes times have changed and now we know what a President will do. Now the law needs to be tightened up to close any ambiguous loop holes. That is my opinion.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

How times have changed.
The final text in the 14A clearly talks about "a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States...."

I'm not sure if youre suggesting judges should privilege initial drafts of the text over the final version....?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
What even happens if the Supreme Court there rules Trump is under the Article and therefore ineligible to run?
It may depend on what the state election laws and ballot laws say.

For instance in Minnesota, the judge ruled: “There is no state statute that prohibits a major political party from placing on the presidential nomination primary ballot, or sending delegates to the national convention supporting, a candidate who is ineligible to hold office,” Chief Justice Natalie Hudson ruled.

If the state election law for federal offices is "Put whoever the Party says is their candidate under their party affiliation," then maybe you get the same outcome.

If the state election law for federal offices is "Verify all candidates' eligibility for office before listing their names," then the outcome might be different.

Upvote 0