Politics
US-Republican
Our Holy Father Clement, Pope of Rome

Reading from the Synaxarion:
Saint Clement was instructed in the Faith of Christ by the Apostle
Peter. He became Bishop of Rome in the year 91, the third after the
death of the Apostles. He died as a martyr about the year 100 during
the reign of Trajan.

There was no monepiscopacy in the Roman Church during Clement's day; the claim that Clement was the bishop of Rome instead of a presbyter-bishop is nothing more than a tall tale.

Reactions: Nilloc
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There was no monepiscopacy in the Roman Church during Clement's day; the claim that Clement was the bishop of Rome instead of a presbyter-bishop is nothing more than a tall tale.
Sources?

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Perhaps, but in I Clement we find that he at least "assumes" to speak for the Church of Rome:

Chapter I.—The salutation. Praise of the Corinthians before the breaking forth of schismamong them.
The Church of God which sojourns at Rome, to the Church of God sojourning at Corinth, to them that are called and sanctified by the will of God, through our Lord Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, from Almighty God through Jesus Christ, be multiplied.​

Interestna, his epistle was highly regarded in the early church:

Eusebius (Hist. Eccl., iii. 16) is as follows: “
There is one acknowledged Epistle of this Clement (whom he has just identified with the friend of St. Paul), great and admirable, which he wrote in the name of the Church of Rome to the Church at Corinth, sedition having then arisen in the latter Church. We are aware that this Epistle has been publicly read in very many churches both in old times, and also in our own day.”​

Upvote 0

Sphinx777

Nov 24, 2007
Bibliotheca Alexandrina
✟10,752.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Pope Saint Clement I (also known as Saint Clement of Rome or Clemens Romanus), is considered by the Roman Catholic Church to be the fourth Pope and Bishop of Rome. He was the first Apostolic Father of the early Christian church.

St Clement's letter to the Corinthian church (1 Clement) was widely read and is one of the oldest Christian documents still in existence outside the New Testament. This important work is the first to manifest Rome's primacy and the first to affirm the apostolic authority of the church fathers.

Few details are known about Clement's life. He is known to have been a leading member of the church in Rome in the latter part of the 1st century, although historians dispute whether or not he was a monarchical Bishop or merely one of several presbyters. While sources vary, if Clement was a Bishop, it is likely Clement became Pope (which is the same office as Bishop of Rome) in the year 88, although it may have been as late as the year 92. It is somewhat certain that he died in 99. The Holy See's Annuario Pontificio (2003) cites a reign from 92 to 99. According to tradition, Clement was imprisoned under the Emperor Trajan but nonetheless led a ministry among fellow prisoners. He was then executed by being tied to an anchor and thrown into the sea.

St Clement's name is in the Roman Canon of the Mass. He is commemorated on November 23 as a Pope and Martyr in the Roman Catholic Church as well as within the Anglican Communion and the Lutheran Church. The Syriac Orthodox Church, the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church and the Greek Orthodox Church, as well as the Syriac Catholic Church, the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church and all Byzantine Rite Eastern Catholic Churches, commemorate Saint Clement of Rome (called in Syriac "Mor Clemis") on November 24; the Russian Orthodox Church commemorates St Clement on November 25; and the Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria does so on December 8.

:angel:

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Mariner's Cross of St. Clement

100px-Mariner%27s_Cross.svg.png

Almighty Father, whose way is in the sea, whose paths are in the great waters, whose command is over all and whose love never faileth; let me be aware of Thy presence and obedient to Thy will. Keep me true to my best self, guarding me against dishonesty in purpose and in deed, and helping me so to live that I can stand unashamed and unafraid before my shipmates, my loved ones, and thee. Protect those in whose love I live. Give me the will to do my best and to accept my share of responsibilities with a strong heart and a cheerful mind. Make me considerate of those entrusted to my leadership and faithful to the duties my country has entrusted in me. Let my uniform remind me daily of the traditions of the service of which I am a part. If I am inclined to doubt, steady my faith; if I am tempted, make me strong to resist; if I should miss the mark, give me courage to try again. Guide me with the light of truth and keep before me the life of Him by whose example and help I trust to obtain the answer to my prayer, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Verse 1: Eternal Father, strong to save,
Whose arm hath bound the restless wave,
Who bidd'st the mighty ocean deep
Its own appointed limits keep;
Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea!

Verse 2: O Christ! Whose voice the waters heard
And hushed their raging at Thy word,
Who walked'st on the foaming deep,
And calm amidst its rage didst sleep;

Verse 3: Most Holy Spirit! Who didst brood
Upon the chaos dark and rude,
And bid its angry tumult cease,
And give, for wild confusion, peace;

Verse 4: O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go;
Thus evermore shall rise to Thee
Glad hymns of praise from land and sea.

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/media/eternal_father.mp3http://www.navy.mil/navydata/media/eternal.wav

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MrPolo

Woe those who call evil good + good evil. Is 5:20
Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
✟17,196.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Brennin does not have a source, but rather deduces this himself. His reasoning is because Clement makes reference to "presbyters" in the plural in his letter, that no one was therefore the head bishop of Rome. See posts 112, 113 here.

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tu Es Petrus

Dec 10, 2008
✟4,037.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Pope Saint Clement I (also known as Saint Clement of Rome or Clemens Romanus), is considered by the Roman Catholic Church to be the fourth Pope and Bishop of Rome. He was the first Apostolic Father of the early Christian church.

St Clement's letter to the Corinthian church (1 Clement) was widely read and is one of the oldest Christian documents still in existence outside the New Testament. This important work is the first to manifest Rome's primacy and the first to affirm the apostolic authority of the church fathers.

Few details are known about Clement's life. He is known to have been a leading member of the church in Rome in the latter part of the 1st century, although historians dispute whether or not he was a monarchical Bishop or merely one of several presbyters. While sources vary, if Clement was a Bishop, it is likely Clement became Pope (which is the same office as Bishop of Rome) in the year 88, although it may have been as late as the year 92. It is somewhat certain that he died in 99. The Holy See's Annuario Pontificio (2003) cites a reign from 92 to 99. According to tradition, Clement was imprisoned under the Emperor Trajan but nonetheless led a ministry among fellow prisoners. He was then executed by being tied to an anchor and thrown into the sea.

St Clement's name is in the Roman Canon of the Mass. He is commemorated on November 23 as a Pope and Martyr in the Roman Catholic Church as well as within the Anglican Communion and the Lutheran Church. The Syriac Orthodox Church, the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church and the Greek Orthodox Church, as well as the Syriac Catholic Church, the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church and all Byzantine Rite Eastern Catholic Churches, commemorate Saint Clement of Rome (called in Syriac "Mor Clemis") on November 24; the Russian Orthodox Church commemorates St Clement on November 25; and the Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria does so on December 8.

http://oce.catholic.com/index.php?title=Pope_Clement_IV

Clement IV, POPE (GUIDO LE GROS), b. at Saint Gilles on the Rhone, November 23, year unknown; elected at Perugia February 5, 1265; d. at Viterbo, November 29, 1268. After the death of Urban IV (October 2, 1264), the cardinals, assembled in conclaveat Perugia, discussed for four months the momentous question whether the Church shouldcontinue the war to the end against the House of Hohenstaufen by calling in Charles of Anjou, the youngest brother of St. Louis of France, or find some other means of securing the independence of the papacy. No other solution offering itself, the only possible course was to unite upon the Cardinal Bishop of Sabina, by birth a Frenchman and a subject of Charles. Guido Le Gros was of noble extraction. When his mother died, his father, the knight Foulquois, entered a Carthusian monastery where he ended a saintly life. Guido married, and for a short time wielded the spear and the sword. Then devoting himself to the study of law under the able direction of the famous Durandus, he gained a national reputation as an advocate. St. Louis, who entertained a great respect and affection for him, took him into his cabinet and made him one of his trusted councilors. His wife died, leaving him two daughters, whereupon he imitated his father to the extent that he gave up worldly concerns and took Holy orders..

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A clementine is the hesperidium of a variety of mandarin orange (Citrus reticulata), named in 1902.[citation needed] A clementine is an oblate, medium-sized citrus fruit. The exterior is a deep orange colour with a smooth, glossy appearance. Clementines separate easily into eight to fourteen juicy segments. They are very easy to peel, like a tangerine, but lack the tangerine's seeds. Clementines are also known as seedless tangerines, but sometimes contain seeds.
The traditional story is that it was "originally an accidental hybrid said to have been discovered by Father Clément Rodier in the garden of his orphanage in Misserghin, Algeria."[1] However, there are claims it originated in China much earlier. James Saunt writes: "Some authorities believe it is virtually identical to the variety known as the Canton mandarin widely grown in Guangxi and Guangdong Provinces in China."
The Clementine is not always distinguished from other varieties of mandarin oranges: in German, it is generally referred to as "Mandarine". However, it should not be confused with similar fruit such as the satsuma, which is another name for the Japanese mikan, and is another popular variety. The clementine is occasionally referred to as Algerian tangerine.

LOL

Reactions: &Abel
Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I fail to see how this post adds to the conversation about Clement. It seems childish to me.
Yes, it was intended to be.
It had as much to do with the Clement being discussed as your post did.
Get the point now that I've spelled it out?
Is it in your opinion OK if you waste time & space on off-topic info, but not OK if I do?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.