Visit site
✟15,508.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hey I recently got into metal music and now i wanna move on.....Im looking for some good music and I need suggestions!

I really loe Opeth - Damnation and I know thats prog rock, but it is a bit ambient as well...Porcuipine Tre is good
I also love Solitaire by Kamelot....the classical violin.....
Phantom of the opera is good, but too much showtunes influenced...is there any good ORIGINAL suggestions you guys could give me?
I guess Sleepthief is pretty good

Skilletdude

Aug 20, 2006
California
✟8,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Kamelot is one of my favorite metal bands ^_^ Didn't like the last album much but it was still decent. I'm not very good with the different categories of metal as it seems everyone has their own way of categorizing what is what but I'll try based on the examples you gave.

If you liked Solitaire though, I would definitely look at the band Apocalyptica. Their albums "Cult", "Reflections" and their self titled album "Apocalyptica" are awesome. Basically all their stuff is like heavy classical music. 4 band members, and they all play a cello. A few of my favorite songs by them are "Drive", "Path" and "Somewhere Around Nothing" so search for those on youtube for a taste of their stuff... but I'm sure you'll love them if you liked "Solitaire" a lot. Excellent music. Don't buy their purple album though. I forgot what the name of it is but the cover is all purple and it sucked.

As far as just progressive metal... some bands to check out would be (good albums in parentheses):

Symphony X (Paradise Lost, The Odyssey, V)
Harmony (Dreaming Awake, Chapter II: Aftermath)
Theocracy (Mirror of Souls)
Darkwater (Calling the Earth to Witness)
Beyond Twilight (Section X, For the Love of Art and the Making)

(Most of what I listen to is Power, Melodic, and Classic Heavy metal so sorry, I don't know many other good Progressive metal bands)

Upvote 0

BUCKFANDAN

Metalhead in Training
Mar 2, 2007
Tampa, FL USA
Visit site
✟15,508.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟209,843.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
If you like Porcupine Tree then you should try Abigail's Ghost, who are a similar-sounding band. Also try Anathema - they started out as metal, but have moved in a more ambient direction with their later albums.

And even though you said you're not looking for metal as such, I've just discovered an Australian metal band called Voyager, who may be in line with what you're looking for. I've only heard the following songs, but I like what I've heard.

YouTube - VOYAGER - Sober

YouTube - Voyager - The Devil in Me (Official Video)

Upvote 0