Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I would like to ask some clarifying questions regarding forum rules and how they relate specifically to this sub-forum. I have tried to understand as best as I can and still have questions regarding what is considered acceptable / appropriate. I would appreciate feedback from others and / or mods.

1. Sometimes members of more "liberal" congregations believe things that while being accepted by their own church community may be considered wrong or even heretical by most churches. Examples would be: accepting the results of higher Biblical criticism, panentheistic understanding of God, open theism / process theology, unitarianism, demythologized understanding of the supernatural, alternate views of the atonement (other than substitutionary), preterism, universalism, etc. In the context of this sub-forum, what are the correct guiding principles for
discussion? articulation? promotion?

2. LGBT issues. To what extent can "liberal" views be discussed, articulated, promoted?

It seems that this sub-forum allows some degree of freedom which may not be allowed in other areas while also an understanding that there are overall forum rules that are absolutes in all contexts. I do not have a full understanding of the parameters regarding where this freedom ends / begins. Please clarify.

Thank you and God bless.
NOTE: This is a clarification post and should not be taken here as a personal endorsement of any of the above named things.

Reactions: PloverWing

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The WWMC-forum-specific rules are here (Statement of Purpose - Whosoever Will, May Come - Statement of Purpose), though the guidance there is somewhat ambiguous.

Based on my experience with WWMC and CF generally, I'd say: higher criticism, panentheism, open theism, non-substitutionary views of the atonement, demythologized understanding of the supernatural, and preterism may be discussed here freely. Probably discussing universalism is okay too.

I'm less sure about unitarianism. Since it disagrees with the Nicene Creed, it may have to go in a different forum. Maybe a moderator or another WWMC participant can give advice here.

I've never been sure what the rules are for discussing LGBT issues in WWMC. We have more freedom than most forums, but my reading of the WWMC-specific rules is that if I robustly stated and defended my (Episcopal) church's views on LGBT issues in WWMC, I'd be breaking CF's sitewide rules. Once again, maybe a moderator or another WWMC participant can give advice on this.

Reactions: XianGoth1334
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
2. LGBT issues. To what extent can "liberal" views be discussed, articulated, promoted?
In regards to this question, the site wide rule still applies:
  • Homosexuality, same-sex marriage, bisexuality, transsexualism and transgenderism may not be promoted* on CF (including member profiles). Several debate forums allow homosexuality, same-sex marriage, bisexuality, transsexualism and transgenderism to be discussed from a political, legal, historical, and civil rights point of view. Please check the Statement of Purpose thread for individual debate forums before posting. Homosexuality, same-sex marriage, bisexuality, transsexualism and transgenderism may be discussed, without promotion*, in the Congregational in line with each group's beliefs there. You may post without promotion* in the Struggles with Sexuality and Ask a Chaplain forums solely for the purpose of seeking support with personal struggles related to these issues.
HOWEVER, the specific sub-forum rule should be noted:

Guidelines for topics of homosexuality and same sex marriage:

The WWMC forum has open discussion on homosexuality and same sex marriage with fewer restrictions regarding promotion (both sides may discuss each point of view). The following guidelines will apply to open discussion on these topics:
  • All posts must align with the sitewide rules, especially the rule about profanity and vulgarity (no discussions or images that are sexually explicit).
  • Members may not make posts which could be considered blatant campaigning for the acceptance of homosexuality or SSM.
  • Members may not distribute any blatant propaganda about homosexuality or SSM [propaganda: information of a biased or misleading nature used to promote or publicize a particular point of view].
  • Members may not encourage another member to practice homosexuality or enter into a same sex marriage.

• Informative
Reactions: XianGoth1334
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To answer the other question, there is a difference between Promotion and discussion. However, the site wide rules for being labeled a "Christian" would still apply to this forum as it is a "Christian Only" forum, so Pantheists, Unitarians, etc. would not be permitted in this (or any of the other Christian Only) forum.

This part of the Terms of Service may be helpful:

Unorthodox Christian theology may only be discussed in the Controversial Christian Theology forum. These unorthodox topics do not directly oppose the Nicene Creed, but are not considered to be orthodox on CF. These unorthodox topics may not contradict the Nicene Creed. Non-Trinitarianism may only be discussed in the Outreach category forums. Gnosticism may not be discussed in any CF forums. The Controversial Christian Theology forum is open to Christian members only (faith groups list). Unorthodox Christian theological topics include (but are not limited to):

• Annihilationism
  • Full Preterism
  • Open Theism
  • Universalism

Upvote 0

XianGoth1334

Mar 21, 2023
Boston, MA
✟15,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
To answer the other question, there is a difference between Promotion and discussion. However, the site wide rules for being labeled a "Christian" would still apply to this forum as it is a "Christian Only" forum, so Pantheists, Unitarians, etc. would not be permitted in this (or any of the other Christian Only) forum.

This part of the Terms of Service may be helpful:

Unorthodox Christian theology may only be discussed in the Controversial Christian Theology forum. These unorthodox topics do not directly oppose the Nicene Creed, but are not considered to be orthodox on CF. These unorthodox topics may not contradict the Nicene Creed. Non-Trinitarianism may only be discussed in the Outreach category forums. Gnosticism may not be discussed in any CF forums. The Controversial Christian Theology forum is open to Christian members only (faith groups list). Unorthodox Christian theological topics include (but are not limited to):

• Annihilationism
  • Full Preterism
  • Open Theism
  • Universalism
Thank you for your time & for pointing me in the right direction.

Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
@tampasteve : Since you're here, I'll ask a question I've wondered about for a while. I've never been sure what the limits on "promotion" are in WWMC, so maybe you can help. I think my (Episcopal) church's stance on LGBTQ issues is a matter of public record.

1) If I were to post in WWMC about why my church's stance is a good one, I think CF would count that as "promotion" -- is that correct?

2) On marriage: When posting in CF, even in WWMC, I understand that I cannot encourage a gay couple to get married. Do CF rules allow me to speak positively in WWMC about a same-sex wedding I've attended or about a married gay couple in my circle of friends, or does that also violate the rules?

I'm not trying to push the boundaries here. I'm just trying to figure out exactly where the boundaries are.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@tampasteve : Since you're here, I'll ask a question I've wondered about for a while. I've never been sure what the limits on "promotion" are in WWMC, so maybe you can help. I think my (Episcopal) church's stance on LGBTQ issues is a matter of public record.

1) If I were to post in WWMC about why my church's stance is a good one, I think CF would count that as "promotion" -- is that correct?

2) On marriage: When posting in CF, even in WWMC, I understand that I cannot encourage a gay couple to get married. Do CF rules allow me to speak positively in WWMC about a same-sex wedding I've attended or about a married gay couple in my circle of friends, or does that also violate the rules?

I'm not trying to push the boundaries here. I'm just trying to figure out exactly where the boundaries are.
I am honestly not 100% sure, let me bring in an Advisor that can probably better assist :)
@FreeinChrist

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,752,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If you are referring to your church's stanch on the subject and post the official statement, I think you are find to add your agreement to the church's position.
We do moderate this forum with more grace on the subject than elsewhere.

Also, non-Christians can post here but not promote as in advocate beliefs that go against orthodox beliefs like the Trinity, virgin birth, and the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Quoting one particular Episcapal theologian would cause a problem - can't think of his name. He is very unorthodox.

Last edited:
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If you are referring to your church's stanch on the subject and post the official statement, I think you are find to add your agreement to the church's position.
We do moderate this forum with more grace on the subject that elsewhere.

Also, non-Christians can post here but not promote as in advocate beliefs that go against orthodox beliefs like the Trinity, virgin birth, and the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Quoting one particular Episcapal theologian would cause a problem - can't think of his name. He is very unorthodox.

Thanks.

You're probably thinking of Bishop Spong. He's an outlier among Episcopalians, not typical of Episcopal theology, but we're a big enough tent that we welcome his voice alongside more moderate and conservative voices.

I am realizing, however, that some viewpoints that are common among Liberal Christians cannot be freely and fully discussed here in WWMC. I see why @hedrick says he does not often discuss theology here. This may be part of why WWMC is such a quiet group.

Thanks, @FreeinChrist and @tampasteve , for your help and guidance in clarifying the forum rules.

Reactions: FreeinChrist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums