Choose the option that best describes your spiritual connected-ness to a church.

• Part of the Family: full member, involved, connected

• Nomad: maybe member but not involved/connected; drifting

• Exile: got pushed away, but still desires connection

• Prodigal: not a member, not interested in church or Christianity

Results are only viewable after voting.

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I'm a prodigal now... an atheist humanist.

Church used to be more like family/ friends though. I was part of the youth (who were good friends), went to church every week, and a number of youth groups and prayer meetings sometimes.

I also worked for the church part time for a year, was in the church band, and worked the projector sometimes. :)

Upvote 0

Waddler

Live a story worth telling well.
Jul 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
✟27,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am definitely an Exile. I have issues with attending church, but I want to attend. I have brought myself to a place where I am willing to confront my issues in order to attend a church, but it still gives me anxiety.

Upvote 0

Waddler

Live a story worth telling well.
Jul 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
✟27,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Church gives me anxiety too. Thinking of going to my college's campus ministry club when classes resume. It's not church but it might be a nice way to be more involved.

I started by collecting a small group of friends together for talking and fellowship and study. It was a good way to help me ease into where I am now. I'm still scared spitless about going back to a church. I hope your college's ministry helps you to find what you need, spiritually.

Upvote 0

gerbilwoman

Gerbil Queen
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2014
USA
✟437,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I started by collecting a small group of friends together for talking and fellowship and study. It was a good way to help me ease into where I am now. I'm still scared spitless about going back to a church. I hope your college's ministry helps you to find what you need, spiritually.

Thank you, perhaps I should try to gather some friends as well.

Upvote 0
T

tomwhite84

Do you feel connected to your church? Is church attendance something that encourages or discourages your relationship with God or spiritual growth?:confused:

I love my church and the people in it. They are my closest friends in a world that does not care for godliness; they "get" me in a way that other people do not and vice-versa. I am actively involved in various ministries because I want to serve the family. I struggle to see how any genuine Christian could stand not being involved; what is the point of faith if you're not using it in service to the Lord and his church?

If you do not feel this way, I suspect it is either because you are not saved, or your church environment is dampening your fire in which case leadership is to blame. If the elders aren't passionate, if they are not faithful and disciplining those who need it, if they don't care for evangelism, if they are caught up in legalism and so on... talk to them about this. If the issue is theirs, it's time to find another church.

Upvote 0

JojotheBeloved

Part of the Family
Apr 18, 2014
✟8,622.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Let me please pause the conversation for a moment to clarify something in case it was previously unclear...

This thread is a survey for young adults on this forum. The questions asked are not meant to prompt judgment of each other nor to request advice. The questions are simply that of a survey format for the purpose of gathering information and seeking understanding of one another. No judgments should be made or commented about in regards to the salvation of another person, nor the genuineness of any particular church congregation. This is meant to help me and other young adults understand where we are and know that we are not alone. Thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Do you feel connected to your church? Is church attendance something that encourages or discourages your relationship with God or spiritual growth?:confused:
I voted Exile because I do go to a church now, but maybe I should have put Prodigal because it's not a Christian church and I have no interest in Christian church.

Upvote 0

Orange Crow

Aug 16, 2014
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
✟39,246.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Part of the Family: full member, involved, connected.

The one above.
Living with my parents, going to a small church (100-110 members). The church itself is.. OK-good. I often go to youth services and a local interdenominational youthgroup too.
While living at my parents I'll stay there. When I move out to a new place I'll maybe look for another church but it is place-dependant and I cannot see where I'm at in a few years. Time will tell.

Upvote 0

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Have to go to Church(es?) because the Seminary requires so - even having to be active and eventually train "there". The program is not the denomination I'm aiming at. I'm going to complement the seminary program so that I could possibly get ordained in the desirable denomination: ACNA Sweden.

Upvote 0

AndrewZinc

Oct 1, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
✟15,526.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I voted for the above, but wanted to clarify.

Whilst I am involved in lots of service (eldership, Sunday school teaching, I.T. etc.) and most of my Christian friends/contacts come from church, there are some major issues that weigh heavily upon me.

- Fellowship: The church doesn't have a system of small groups. It's traditional and so has a lot of folk that just come for the Sunday service. Although it's relatively small (300 members, c.100 regular attenders) I hardly know most of them. How can I love them if I don't really know them?

- Commitment: This is improving amongst the elders but there still seems to be a great apathy for evangelism. They are happy to rubber-stamp initiatives as long as they don't have to do anything.

- Theology: My denomination is on the verge of allowing practicing homosexual ministers and I have little respect for the denomination leadership - The Moderator (effectively spokesperson for the church for a year)was on the radio saying that in his ministry he "has tried to please the most amount of people, most of the time." My parents and siblings have left to join a more conservative one. I've stayed as the decision isn't final yet and I don't want to abandon the children I teach, my friends and minister who needs my support.

So although I voted the top one, I sometimes feel I'm giving more than I'm getting and it doesn't mean I'm in the perfect church!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums