a sinner
Dec 25, 2009
Texas
✟25,560.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Since the local parish does not exist separate from the diocese, I'd bet that the diocese holds title to all real assets. Remember that a priest serves at the permission and blessing of the bishop, and the antimension belongs to the Bishop, not the Priest and without that, there is no blessing to celebrate any Holy Mysteries.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We just purchased the property for our new parish with money from our parish's bank accounts. I believe it is owned by the parish and not by the diocese; otherwise I don't see why the parish would be paying for it all. I could be wrong...but that wouldn't make sense in our situation. We are an OCA parish...maybe each diocese is different?

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
We just purchased the property for our new parish with money from our parish's bank accounts. I believe it is owned by the parish and not by the diocese; otherwise I don't see why the parish would be paying for it all. I could be wrong...but that wouldn't make sense in our situation. We are an OCA parish...maybe each diocese is different?

We bought our property as a parish. The diocese helps us in getting loans & such, but the property is in our name. Also OCA.

Upvote 0

CelticRebel

Site Supporter
May 21, 2015
✟60,615.00
Faith
Christian
We bought our property as a parish. The diocese helps us in getting loans & such, but the property is in our name. Also OCA.

So, the OCA allows its churches to own their property. Interesting. I think that is not the case in the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America, the Body with the church next closest to me in distance. I didn't know it varied from one Orthodox Body to another. I thought they all had the same policies and practices.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums