Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What is the purpose of a church organization having a political and economic agenda?
How does this serve the spiritual needs of its followers?

It doesn't.

Churches that put those things ahead of everything else have lost the plot.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What is the purpose of a church organization having a political and economic agenda?
How does this serve the spiritual needs of its followers?

Why shouldn't a church organization have a political and economic agenda? Shouldn't Christians have a united voice concerning the affairs of the government that affect them? It doesn't serve the spiritual needs of its followers but it does speak to the "world" about maintaining Christian values in society.

Reactions: JesusFo11ower
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why shouldn't a church organization have a political and economic agenda? Shouldn't Christians have a united voice concerning the affairs of the government that affect them? It doesn't serve the spiritual needs of its followers but it does speak to the "world" about maintaining Christian values in society.

What about churches that seem to be built around politics? Like Westboro Baptist Church? One of the reasons I left my old church because they were grandstanding for Prop 8. I think it's fine for a church to take positions on issues, but when those positions become the subject of sermons and the pulpit itself is used to advocate or object to a policy, then somethings gone awry.

I'm all for a church that sets as it's goal to help the poor, oppressed and marginalized. If a church has a heart to defeat human trafficking, exploitation of the earth's natural resources or conflict in the Sudan, they have my full support. If church services are spent 'preaching' about how the state should or shouldn't do thus-and-so or Congress 'needs to do thusly' then it kind of ceases to be a church.

At least, that's my opinion.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If a Church ties itself a political agenda, it will go down with that political agenda...and all political agendae will go down.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is nothing national about the Body of Christ. There is no measure of church/state connectivity that is different between the Body of Christ and the US government or the Body of Christ and the North Korean government.

Connection with any earthly government leads to contamination of the Body of Christ because the primary aim of any earthly government is to expand and maintain its own wealth and power, and to use the Church to that aim.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What's the C&MA?? Never mind. Google is my friend!! Christian & Missionary Alliance?

You got it. Born and raised in the same church, it was great for 22 years but once they started trying to pawn a petition from the pulpit I bounced.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Upvote 0