Church Music.......

What type of Music is favorable for Worship and Church services?

• Gregorian Chant

• Contemprorary Christian

• Doesn't matter

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ProCommunioneFacior

I'm an ultra-traditionalist, run for your life ;)
Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I prefer Gregorian Chant, or other more traditional music during Mass.

Out of Mass, I prefer the more contemporary stuff while I'm driving or doing chores. If I am praying I put in my Gregorian Chant CD.

If I am studying I like Classical.

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
I say Combine both; a blend of contemporary and traditional would be wonderfull, if integrated well. Drop the busy'ness of the contemporary, and keep the stillness and tranquility of the tradtional. Then drop some of the monotone repitition of the traditional, and add the dynamics and enthusiam of the contemporary....or something like that... :)

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟278,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Gregorian chant or Renaissance polyphony.

Nothing written after 1960, and please, dear Lord, nothing by the gang of hippies known as the St. Louis Jesuits, may God in His mercy deliver us from the likes of forever.

Gregorian chant.

Most definitely.

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
oh and definately Mass music as well; Brahms, "A German Requiem" and Hildegard of Bingen, "Allelulia, O Virga mediatrix" comes to mind as a classic. Also Machaut, Josquin (Ave Maria!), Palestrina, Pope Marcellus Mass "Gloria", Purcell, Strozzi, Bach, Handel's "Messiah", Farmer, etc..

Much of the music from the romantic period as well, but not the secular stuff. Beethoven and Mozart of course, Bartok, Smentana, Dvorak, Verdi, etc...

There's really sooooo much music out there that can't be broken down into 2 categories.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MParedon

Yahweh-nissi
Jan 20, 2004
South Texas
Visit site
✟3,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Upvote 0

MParedon

Yahweh-nissi
Jan 20, 2004
South Texas
Visit site
✟3,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LarryM

-
Oct 19, 2002
Visit site
✟7,836.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I voted "Does Not Matter", but my real preference is for a variety of different styles of music ... plainchant, traditional hymnody, and material by current composers.

On a personal level, I am moved by different things at different times, so a variety of music styles gives me a variety of ways to experience God at Mass.

On a pastoral level, I think it is important that our liturgical music acknowledges both our tradition and our present.

I am fortunate to live in a parish which does use different styles of music at Mass. The music selections are generally the same at all Masses, regardless of whether the Mass is served by a single song leader, a Chancel Choir, or a Liturgical Ensemble. Over the course of a month everyone is able to experience plainchant, hymnody and current music.

Larry
:cool:
------------------
Lady: Are you the police?
Elwood Blues: No ma'am, we're musicians.
We're on a mission from God.

Upvote 0

Addaperle

Fool for Christ
Jul 22, 2003
Brentwood, Essex, UK
Visit site
✟1,979.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Greens
Upvote 0

MParedon

Yahweh-nissi
Jan 20, 2004
South Texas
Visit site
✟3,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Addaperle said:
That is an awesome CD... I got it last year, and it's great!
When he says, "Do not be afraid..." I just get vaclempt! His voice sounds so familiar to me even when I heard it the first time, and I don't know why. It's just so vibrant grandpa, ya know?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.