Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Asking a Baptist preacher to baptize is like asking Colonel Sanders if he wants a bucket of chicken. Somebody’s going to get dunked.

So when a football coach in Villa Rica, Georgia asked to be baptized on the high school football field – the local First Baptist Church obliged.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015...ver-football-field-baptism.html?intcmp=hplnws

This was before a football practice
http://www.11alive.com/story/news/l...ting-mass-baptism-football-practice/71515306/

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Not much story here, as the complainers are all from out of town and don't have much of a leg to stand on.
I realize that many christians take issue with this but, the law applies everywhere.

"They isn't from here" is no more of a defense than, "Muh religion".

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't see much of a case here...

If this was a personal expression by the coach, then it's no more of a violation than the president expressing their faith in a speech from the white house press room.

Upvote 0

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I realize that many christians take issue with this but, the law applies everywhere.

It is if no one in that town is complaining.

"But, we are not sure that this baptism was the coach's religious agenda or not. It occurred before practice. She assumes that the students were not given any warning. Cavell also bases her whole argument on a fictitious person. This imaginary student felt forced to participate and act like a Christian. No one has complained about the incident, except a group who makes its living by representing 2% of the population, none of which is in the Carroll County School District.

It would be nice for once if the school district would tell these fools to mind their own business. It seems that, just like the case in Pennsylvania, there is no chance of a lawsuit, since there is no one complaining."

Read more at http://freedomoutpost.com/2015/09/g...e-is-under-investigation/#rfAHEyhRJGmMs0po.99

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You kinda need to have someone who was "harmed," or a complainant.
Not up to answering the question? That's ok, I understand how explaining why we should arbitrarily follow some laws and not others is a difficult question to answer.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It was poor judgement all the way around. Had some group from a less popular religious persuasion done the same thing all heck would've been raised. The stadium is operated by some governmental agency and that agency will have to clarify proper protocols so that they don't end up with "battling baptisms" and other religious/political opportunists.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Praise God at all the young men who received the Sacrament of Baptism that day! Praise God for putting the Word on the lips of His coaches and teachers so the students can hear the Gospel!

Outsider scaliwags need to mind their own business.

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Asking a Baptist preacher to baptize is like asking Colonel Sanders if he wants a bucket of chicken. Somebody’s going to get dunked.

So when a football coach in Villa Rica, Georgia asked to be baptized on the high school football field – the local First Baptist Church obliged.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015...ver-football-field-baptism.html?intcmp=hplnws

Thanks for that opinion piece, but it seems that it's the school district that's in hot water.

The Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF), a group of perpetually offended atheists and free-thinkers from Wisconsin, saw the video and fired off a nasty letter to the Carroll County School superintendent.

And how is this "nasty?"

“It is illegal for coaches to participate in religious activities with students, including prayer and baptisms,” attorney Elizabeth Cavell wrote. “Nor can coaches allow religious leaders to gain unique access to students during school-sponsored activities.”

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Saying that no one from the town is complaining is a valid defense is like saying that no one from the town is complaining about the whites only drinking fountains.

The places where this is a legitimate problem are the very places where no one local dares complain.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not up to answering the question? That's ok, I understand how explaining why we should arbitrarily follow some laws and not others is a difficult question to answer.

What "law" is actually being broken?

Upvote 0

Blank Stair

1 Peter 3:16
Aug 19, 2015
✟18,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Good for them! It wasn't compulsory of course and it was symbolic given the members that wished to be baptized.

Just like prayers before games in school locker rooms. Do it. Atheists don't have to participate. There is nothing listening in their opinion anyway. They can always leave. It's not compulsory.
Lead the prayer, bow the heads, and move on.

Upvote 0

Poor Beggar

Everything is everywhere.
Aug 21, 2015
Arizona
✟9,600.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

I keep looking for the illegality of it in here and I'm just not finding it, dang it...

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I keep looking for the illegality of it in here and I'm just not finding it, dang it...

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
It respects an establishment of religion. That's the illegality of it.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Look harder.

"No establishment of religion" means keep religion separate from government. If you're a football coach hired by the public school system, your job is not the save souls. It's to win football games. Keep religion out of it.

Upvote 0