Christmas Music. Sincerely Thread. Evil, or Not Evil ? When is too soon ? Are you the 3rd category of people everyone else thinks is annoying ?

tobelieveinHim

Sep 13, 2022
Glendale
✟26,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, I'm not quite sure this belongs here, But I felt like it collaborated with the Halloween thread, the thread about Halloween. Christmas Music!
There are some people who think Christmas music is evil, and then there are some people who think Christmas music is evil. If you are the third category of people that everyone else thinks is annoying? Ok, But seriously now.

Alright, So is Christmas music comforting to you, Or do you not like it ? I think I have given a hint as to what I think about it, But what do you think about it. ? If you are the third category of people that everyone else thinks is annoying, Then that also applies.
When is too soon to start hearing and playing Christmas music ?

I forget how much I like it because I didn't grow up hearing it very often. It is incredibly relaxing to me.

Last edited:

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's always too soon for me. I would rather not hear Christmas music for weeks. I do like Christmas hymns during services. I always listen to the Vince Guaraldi Trio's: A Charlie Brown Christmas on Christmas Day, and then I'm done for another year.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So, I'm not quite sure this belongs here, But I felt like it collaborated with the Halloween thread, the thread about Halloween. Christmas Music!
There are some people who think Christmas music is evil, and then there are some people who think Christmas music is evil. Ok, But seriously now.

Alright, So is Christmas music comforting to you, Or do you not like it ? I think I have given a hint as to what I think about it, But what do you think about it. ?
Christmas music is in no way evil. It is incredibly annoying sometimes but it is not evil. It's like butter. Everyone likes it but it should be used sparingly.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟76,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are some people who think Christmas music is good, and then there are some people who think Christmas music is evil. Ok, But seriously now.

Alright, So is Christmas music comforting to you, Or do you not like it ? I think I have given a hint as to what I think about it, But what do you think about it. ?
Christmas music would be nice if it was played after Thanksgiving, ideally on December 1st. Sadly, the music started in my area on November 1st, 2023 or a few days after. For me, Christmas music is good, but sometimes, the pop stars make too much profit, which some should go to helping the poor this time of year and keeping people warm. That is why I prefer the 1950s Christmas music, as none of the artists back then are around nowadays to have expensive concerts and milk millions off of people.

Upvote 0

Terri Dactyl

Aug 27, 2022
Midwest
✟47,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Celibate
I love Christmas music, but some of it is depressing to listen to. We had a weatherman here, who was very well liked.
I remember being at work with speaker loudly playing :" All i want for Christmas is you" when one of our employees came in and told us that beloved newsman had committed suicide.
That was years ago, and I still cannot listen to it.

And songs that remind you of long ago, when your parents were still alive, and maybe you weren't the best kid in the world, but you'd give anything to go back , loving and kind, and would change so much. Songs like this, wanting to go back, make me weep.

The fun songs like Rudolph are happy songs , and songs praising Jesus are wonderful.

My favorite Christmas song is Mele Kiliki maka It s a song I saw in a funny Christmas movie:

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,281.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm pretty fussy about Christmas music.

My favorite album since I've been a little girl has been "Harry Belafonte's Christmas."

Simple guitar arrangements, hauntingly beautiful spirituals and lullabies mixed with a few traditional favorites.

Next comes Mannheim Steamroller. As a musician who loves to improvise, I love following the different harmonies and instrumental parts and making up my own vocals. It's very relaxing.

Josh Groban, of course.

Last of all, I love SATB Christmas pieces. John Rutter, of course, but there are loads of beautiful choral pieces. I love practicing them, playing them, singing them.

The Christmas music I dislike? Rock and pop stars making obligatory Christmas albums. So commercial.

Upvote 0

tobelieveinHim

Sep 13, 2022
Glendale
✟26,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah... it's evil in its own sugary sweet way...
I never hear Christmas music, mostly. But, from the bit of it I hear, I forget how much I like it. If we heard Christmas music more often, along with 50's and 60's doo wop more often, I thought I would be a much happier person :laughing::tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I never hear Christmas music, mostly. But, from the bit of it I hear, I forget how much I like it. If we heard Christmas music more often, along with 50's and 60's doo wop more often, I would be a much happier person :laughing::tearsofjoy:

I can only really tolerate it for about a week before it starts driving me insane.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not a religious person. But I like Christmas. Everyone knows it's largely a secular holiday. Christians grafted Jesus's birth into the Roman winter solstice celebration. And some good music has been written for it. A few of my favorites:

Darlene Love was Phil Spector's go-to girl singer. She does the best version of White Christmas. Irving Berlin (who was Jewish) wrote a spoken introduction, which is almost never heard in most recordings. Phil added it in as a spoken interlude between the verses.

The Eagles do an excellent cover of this old Christmas blues song, Don Henley's vocals are great. The original, by Charles Brown, is on YouTube and is worth a listen.

I'm not a big fan of Taylor, but she does the best version of Last Christmas. Better than George Michael's original.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is it sinful? No.
Annoying as heck? Nonobjectively, yes.

I, like many who worked retail, cannot stand 99% of Christmas music.

I do like the new one by Cher, though.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,740.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If you are the third category of people that everyone else thinks is annoying? Ok, But seriously now.
I'm definitely in the category of people that everyone else thinks is annoying, but unfortunately it has nothing to do with Christmas music.

Upvote 0

tobelieveinHim

Sep 13, 2022
Glendale
✟26,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I worked retail. I still love it more than most. It's modern, and mainstream that I can't stand. The only thing I will do is still shop in retail. I love the music they play, it's apart of the appeal and the draw for me there.
I prefer Christmas music to any other contemporary thing that is out there.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tobelieveinHim

Sep 13, 2022
Glendale
✟26,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Christmas music would be nice if it was played after Thanksgiving, ideally on December 1st. Sadly, the music started in my area on November 1st, 2023 or a few days after. For me, Christmas music is good, but sometimes, the pop stars make too much profit, which some should go to helping the poor this time of year and keeping people warm. That is why I prefer the 1950s Christmas music, as none of the artists back then are around nowadays to have expensive concerts and milk millions off of people.
This deserves a millions of some sort

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,740.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I love Christmas music, but some of it is depressing to listen to. We had a weatherman here, who was very well liked.
I remember being at work with speaker loudly playing :" All i want for Christmas is you" when one of our employees came in and told us that beloved newsman had committed suicide.
That was years ago, and I still cannot listen to it.
I hear you. My grandma actually got run over by a reindeer, and to this day...I can't, I just can't.

Upvote 0