✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello,

So for Christmas (regardless of date) does your church still use the liturgy of St. John Chrysostom or do you use the liturgy of Saint Basil instead? I imagine it is different depending on what Eastern Orthodox Church you belong to...but alas I am ignorant.

I have heard most Orthodox Churches use Basil on Christmas, but I have no clue ^_^

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,304,852.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
You've actually made me go and look this up :D

As far as I can see [ but I'm no Liturgist ] it's St John - but the 'Propers' are specific to the Feast of the Nativity.

Having said that - on the whole the congregation are not aware of the differences when St Basil is used during the Sundays of the Great Fast except for the change in the Irmos -when " it is truly right......" is not sung and instead we sing " In you, O Full of Grace ...." .

There are specific times when St Basil is used and one of these is on the Eve of the Feast of the Nativity when a Vesperal Liturgy [ and some shudder at the thought of this ;) ] is served which is indeed the Liturgy of St Basil.

Does this help ? Or have I just muddled you all the more.

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You've actually made me go and look this up :D

As far as I can see [ but I'm no Liturgist ] it's St John - but the 'Propers' are specific to the Feast of the Nativity.

Having said that - on the whole the congregation are not aware of the differences when St Basil is used during the Sundays of the Great Fast except for the change in the Irmos -when " it is truly right......" is not sung and instead we sing " In you, O Full of Grace ...." .

There are specific times when St Basil is used and one of these is on the Eve of the Feast of the Nativity when a Vesperal Liturgy [ and some shudder at the thought of this ;) ] is served which is indeed the Liturgy of St Basil.

Does this help ? Or have I just muddled you all the more.

Actually that helped a hack of a lot!

Are the propers longer then normal during the Feast of the Nativity, at my UGCC, during the divine liturgy, the propers don't usually take all that much time.

Upvote 0

WisdomTree

Philosopher
Feb 2, 2012
Lincoln
✟16,079.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Actually that helped a hack of a lot!

Are the propers longer then normal during the Feast of the Nativity, at my UGCC, during the divine liturgy, the propers don't usually take all that much time.

You Eastern Catholic?

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

So for Christmas (regardless of date) does your church still use the liturgy of St. John Chrysostom or do you use the liturgy of Saint Basil instead? I imagine it is different depending on what Eastern Orthodox Church you belong to...but alas I am ignorant.

I have heard most Orthodox Churches use Basil on Christmas, but I have no clue ^_^

The liturgics of the Nativity celebration are similar to the Pascha - Royal hours then a Vesperal Liturgy of St Basil on the Eve (which is normally done the morning of the day before), then Liturgy of St John C. on 12/25 (scheduling may vary widely - somewhere between 6pm on 12/24 and 10am on 12/25) Many bishops won't allow the Christmas day liturgy before 10pm. Some parishes may also do Matins before the Christmas Liturgy (which is more correct, but sometimes skipped)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Looking at the OP again - there are some variations if Christmas is on a Monday - in this case the Royal hours is moved to Friday, then the Sunday Resurrectional services are celebrated as usual (with some specifics), Sunday night is Vespers with enhancements (gospel reading etc) but no liturgy - Monday is Liturgy of St Basil for Christmas.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,304,852.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Where I will be, we will be having Great Compline followed by the Community Holy Supper on the Eve of Nativity and then St John's Liturgy on Tuesday morning.

Sadly I suspect most of the Community will be at work :( and their children will have returned to School after the Christmas and New Year Holidays

Upvote 0

wynd

Orthodox Christian
Jun 9, 2006
North Texas
✟9,832.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

And the priest's prayer in the anaphora is MUCH longer :D

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,476,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The liturgics of the Nativity celebration are similar to the Pascha - Royal hours then a Vesperal Liturgy of St Basil on the Eve (which is normally done the morning of the day before), then Liturgy of St John C. on 12/25 (scheduling may vary widely - somewhere between 6pm on 12/14 and 10am on 12/15) Many bishops won't allow the Christmas day liturgy before 10pm. Some parishes may also do Matins before the Christmas Liturgy (which is more correct, but sometimes skipped)

this is what I have seen for Nativity

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,304,852.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I must admit that though I know what I'm doing where I will be for Nativity , I still don't know what my own parish will be doing - hopefully Father will tell me this Sunday as I have to prepare the copy of the Propers for the singing rehearsal and that's a bilingual sheet/s

Upvote 0

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you all for the enlightenment! It's very confusing trying to figure out all the services and feast days etc. especially during this time of year.

It really is. I just show up for whatever is on the schedule that I can make.

So, speaking of which, can anybody tell me which service it is where we sing the song that repeats "For God is with us!"? It challenges nations to try to attack us and such, but points out that their attempts are futile, because God is with us? It's one of my favorites, and I can never remember when we sing it except that its near Christmas.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I must admit that though I know what I'm doing where I will be for Nativity , I still don't know what my own parish will be doing - hopefully Father will tell me this Sunday as I have to prepare the copy of the Propers for the singing rehearsal and that's a bilingual sheet/s
Hoping it'd be amazing for ya...

Upvote 0

Damaris

May 15, 2015
✟8,728.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
It really is. I just show up for whatever is on the schedule that I can make.

So, speaking of which, can anybody tell me which service it is where we sing the song that repeats "For God is with us!"? It challenges nations to try to attack us and such, but points out that their attempts are futile, because God is with us? It's one of my favorites, and I can never remember when we sing it except that its near Christmas.

It's actually from Great Compline, which is done in parishes on Christmas Eve, and during the first week of Great Lent.

Upvote 0