Christmas Day Service

boswd

Jan 2, 2008
✟6,566.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yeah I grew up in a Methodist and a Catholic household and both always had a Christmas Day service and both held a Christmas Eve Service.

So I always thought that everyone did, I mean we are celebrating the birth of Christ. It wasn't until I met my wife, who is a Pentacostal, that I found out that many Protestant's didn't unless it fell on a Sunday.

I just always found that to be very odd and always wondered why.

Upvote 0

LiturgyInDMinor

Celtic Rite Old Catholic Church
Feb 20, 2009
✟7,265.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have always cherished "midnight mass" as a kid...it was a tradition in my house. :)I also cherished going to bed after we got home cause Santa was coming to town after we celebrated the birth of the baby Jesus!!!!I am NOT in any shape or form trying to be sarcastic here...I do cherish the above in my heart. :)I'm a new Presby, I'll google what we do for advent and Christmas. ;)Or perhaps I'll email our pastor.Thankyou for listening.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Does your Church hold one if it is not on a Sunday?
Of course. 2 of them (one at midnight and one in the morning). Why on earth would you not?

If not how come?
To celebrate the incarnation.

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Actually, the last time Christmas fell on Sunday, quite a few churches cancelled services because it was Christmas and people should be home with their families. This was the same year that many wanted to boycott Walmart for switching to saying "Happy Holidays" or "Seasons Greetings". They accused Walmart of taking Christ out of Christmas. I think a lot of people saw the irony of this situation. Christmas is about Christ, but don't expect me to give up an hour or two of my celebrating His birth to be in church to focus my attention and time on Him, whose birthday I am celebrating.

Yes, I do usually go to Christmas Day services, and the long service the night before. Unfortunately, I am going to have to work 7am-11am that day (as I work at an answering service and we can't have every Christmas off). Hopefully, it will be slow and maybe I can get off to go to the service anyway (it starts at 10 a.m.). If I am not there this year, I will be there next Christmas. I love both the Royal Hours celebrated on the evening of Christmas Eve and the Christmas liturgy itself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yup!

Admittedly the Nativity Day Mass is pretty empty, but the Vigil is very nice. This year we hope to have enough acolytes to make it extra special.

what does celebrating the birth of Christ, the Son of God have to do with legalism?

I find myself asking the same question.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
what does celebrating the birth of Christ, the Son of God have to do with legalism?

The fact that so many think you have to have a Christmas service. Just look at some of the responses.

Upvote 0