Christians and schizophrenia...

p1235

Jan 14, 2012
✟15,350.00
Faith
Christian
I know this isn't the place to ask for medical advice, but I have some concerns in my life, after reading about schizophrenia. This isn't something I can talk about in my daily life with anyone personally, and they may not understand or might feel it's nothing anyway.

I am concerned I may be schizophrenic. After having read the list of symptoms, many of them apply to me; both positive and negative symptoms.

- I have heard inner voices, I thought everybody did. I thought that was cognition. But apparently it isn't. I have heard - what I thought - was God's voice. I know many other Christians who would say the same. Are they also all schizophrenic? This voice has told me many things and this is the biggest sign of one being schizophrenic.

- There is also the type of hallucination which involves smells. I have had, on a few occasions, where I have smelled the most fragrant and beautiful-smelling flowers, but there were never any flowers present. Apparently this is also a positive sign of schizophrenia. I always thought it was something to do with God, or something spiritual, but I guess not.

It makes me wonder how many of the Christian mystics and many from Pentecostal movements may actually be suffering from this illness.

There are other symptoms I've noticed as well:

- They say you tend to have disorganized thoughts. I do have unusual ways of thinking, in fact, I've never met another person who truly thinks like I do. This is also a sign.

- The negative symptoms have also appeared i my life, such as lack of interest in daily activities, social withdrawal and lack of motivation. I just thought I was depressed, but now I'm not so sure. I have had a rough time this last year in particular, so I thought my bad feelings have been somewhat justified, but now, I do wonder... I have odd sleeping habits and at times, I don't feel much like leaving the house at the moment either.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for here, but some help/advice would be nice. I don't have much faith in the medical establishment and fear of being locked away or drugged up beyond all measure are concerns for why I'm not apt to search out their expertise.

Mediakira

Jun 6, 2011
Eaton, Ohio
✟34,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
I know this isn't the place to ask for medical advice, but I have some concerns in my life, after reading about schizophrenia. This isn't something I can talk about in my daily life with anyone personally, and they may not understand or might feel it's nothing anyway.

I am concerned I may be schizophrenic. After having read the list of symptoms, many of them apply to me; both positive and negative symptoms.

- I have heard inner voices, I thought everybody did. I thought that was cognition. But apparently it isn't. I have heard - what I thought - was God's voice. I know many other Christians who would say the same. Are they also all schizophrenic? This voice has told me many things and this is the biggest sign of one being schizophrenic.

- There is also the type of hallucination which involves smells. I have had, on a few occasions, where I have smelled the most fragrant and beautiful-smelling flowers, but there were never any flowers present. Apparently this is also a positive sign of schizophrenia. I always thought it was something to do with God, or something spiritual, but I guess not.

It makes me wonder how many of the Christian mystics and many from Pentecostal movements may actually be suffering from this illness.

- They say you tend to have disorganized thoughts. I do have unusual ways of thinking, in fact, I've never met another person who truly thinks like I do. This is also a sign.

- The negative symptoms have also appeared i my life, such as lack of interest in daily activities, social withdrawal and lack of motivation. I just thought I was depressed, but now I'm not so sure. I have had a rough time this last year in particular, so I thought my bad feelings have been somewhat justified, but now, I do wonder... I have odd sleeping habits and at times, I don't feel much like leaving the house at the moment either.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for here, but some help/advice would be nice. I don't have much faith in the medical establishment and fear of being locked away or drugged up beyond all measure are concerns for why I'm not apt to search out their expertise.

I have a sister who is a Schizophrenic, and she also has Bipolar. The poor girl has issues of her feelings are being mixed around a lot. Even with medication she can't get ride of the feelings of depression when she excited. Even if it's a good moment. With her Schizophrenic mind. She hears voice that are telling her she's not a good person. And they mock God at every angle. Trying to get her to commit sucicide. It scares me horribley because I can't bare the thought losing her. Even if she harms herself hurts me. As a twin it feels like there's a nerve at my hurt that hers. If she dies, I die with her. Like I don't existence on this earth without her.

Her symptoms started at the age of 24. I read in the medical book that starts for Schizophrenic victims starts systems at the age of 18 for men, and 25 for women. There are two types of Schizophrenia. Type one makes you believe fairy tale things that don't exist. Like books are teleporters into another world. Etc. The second type is the one my sister has. It's the one she doesn't acknowledge the outside world. She is mentally cut off from everything, and stays in her mind.

Her first symptoms of her illness was scary. She kept reading the revelations in the bible religiously. And reading this book on "How to hear God's voice." She was willing to know God for real at the age 24. Which was great. She wasn't baptized at this time. And decided to fast, so she can see God. As it states in the bible. She decided not to eat and only drink water for 4 days. At this time. She was not keeping up on her job. She totally didn't denied me as her sister at Wal-mart. And ran away into the store. When we got to the hospital after we found her at Wal-Mart. She kept saying that she was condemned from doing shamanism, and doubted God, and Jesus. I have not witnessed her do that. That all weekend she was kept being sent to the mental hospital. On the 4th day there. She kept drawing this little guy. He looked like Jesus with a fake halo. She kept saying she kept seeing him and he was mean. Along with that she kept writing "All done" on the same paper. It almost sounded like she was under a demon contract or something. Weeks later at home she won't take her meds. And she kept seeing us family members a demons. I was starting to think I lost her for good. It felt like she died. Trapped into that illness. I was losing my best friend, my life was surrounded her. It was like losing my soul. Thinking of it now. I was dying along with her. All of my dreams with her were also died.

But know she is getting the best help. She has the round about care. But she is still seeing spirit like things like look like ghosts, and hearing voices. But her personality is back. I tell her everyday she's important to me. And never give up. Soon, she's getting her apartment. She's now baptized, and what's to fight. Thanking God's Grace. My life is coming back to life again. But very slowly.

I can't say if your ill with this same illness. But the only way they'll lock you up for good. If your illness is not curable, and you are prone to hurt others. Some mental illness are scary to the point the illness can make you cut off a limb because it's evil. And that patient is not aware of it mentally. Because they are not medicated or properly cared for.

Upvote 0

Living in the Light

How may I be a better Christian?
Jan 7, 2012
United States
✟16,371.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
"I'm not sure what I'm looking for here, but some help/advice would be nice. I don't have much faith in the medical establishment and fear of being locked away or drugged up beyond all measure are concerns for why I'm not apt to search out their expertise. "

This seems to sum up what many people with mental problems think. Please seek help from the professionals who can help you. Do not resist it. This many not be what you want to hear, but psychotherapy and medication can change peoples lives. Many churches have professionals that work on their behalf who charge lower fees than the other professionals. Perhaps you could start with a talk with your minster. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Upvote 0

.Iona.

I love Jesus!
Dec 9, 2007
UK
✟41,546.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
UK-Greens
Sometimes when you become convinced you have an illness, you make yourself believe you have the symptoms you read about, and project them onto yourself. This may, or may not be the case.

To have some awareness that you may have these symptoms, without ever having received any treatment, would be odd. The problem with Schizophrenia is that when one is unwell - they will not be aware that they are.

The best thing would be to see your doctor. No one can just diagnose Sz from you listing symptoms; it takes time and people need to actually speak with you. Although the internet can be helpful in terms of support, it can also be detrimental because you have people 'diagnosing' you without the qualifications to do so. Also, what I find is that if I have a headache for a few days and I google possible causes - it always tells me the worst possible thing which then makes me worry! When all it actually is, is a headache.

Just because you recognise some of the criteria for Sz, does not mean that is what you have - it could be a number of things, or nothing at all. Speak to a doctor, and if you want clarity or support with the religious aspects your priest/ pastor or whatever you have.

In terms of not the fear of being drugged up - this does not happen to everyone who has some form of mental illness. Usually only where they are at risk of harming others. I don't know where are you, and it may be different from here, but there are people in the community who can talk to you. As you seem to have a good knowledge of what you are experiencing and are worried about it - hospital may not even be an option.

Sites like these are great for support for whatever reason though!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mediakira

Jun 6, 2011
Eaton, Ohio
✟34,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sometimes when you become convinced you have an illness, you make yourself believe you have the symptoms you read about, and project them onto yourself. This may, or may not be the case.

To have some awareness that you may have these symptoms, without ever having received any treatment, would be odd. The problem with Schizophrenia is that when one is unwell - they will not be aware that they are.

The best thing would be to see your doctor. No one can just diagnose Sz from you listing symptoms; it takes time and people need to actually speak with you. Although the internet can be helpful in terms of support, it can also be detrimental because you have people 'diagnosing' you when they have to qualifications to do so. Also, what I find is that if I have a headache for a few days and I google possible causes - it always tells me the worst possible thing which then makes me worry! When all it actually is, is a headache.

Just because you recognise some of the criteria for Sz, does not mean that is what you have - it could be a number of things, or nothing at all. Speak to a doctor, and if you want clarity or support with the religious aspects your priest/ pastor or whatever you have.

In terms of not the fear of being drugged up - this does not happen to everyone who has some form of mental illness. Only of they are at risk of harming others. I don't know where are you, and it may be different from here, but there are people in the community who can talk to you. As you seem to have a good knowledge of what you are experiencing and are worried about it - hospital may not even be an option.

Sites like these are great for support for whatever reason though!

I do agree with you on this.

I do know if a person is depressed, and isn't getting enough time to rest and heal. Can make a person think negative things, and to oneself.

Upvote 0

ThurberW09

Jan 7, 2012
✟15,176.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have heard inner voices, I thought everybody did. I thought that was cognition. But apparently it isn't. I have heard - what I thought - was God's voice. I know many other Christians who would say the same. Are they also all schizophrenic? This voice has told me many things and this is the biggest sign of one being schizophrenic.

I just recently had a lot of the same fear and I am here to tell you that you will be okay. You have a lot of anxiety and you are scared that you are schizophrenic and don't know how you would handle it. These inner voices are your thoughts and you will continue to have all these thoughts until you learn to stop reacting to them. I got a lot of help from people on this board in a previous thread which is similar to this (Search Satan and Anxiety) and you will find it.

Remember even if you did have Schizophrenic you have to trust God to that He has a will for you and He has plans to prosper you. Our God is a mighty healer and able to do all things, but it is our test and trials that really shape a lot of our life. It is how we handle the bad situations that matter most. Who will you trust? God or satan?

Satan wants you to worry all about yourself and God wants you to worry about Him.

Feel free to private message me and I will be glad to speak with you more privately.

Remember: Even if you have it, so what? God plans to still use you in a mighty way, just trust Him. When Satan tries to control you with your anxious thoughts or even if you do have schizophrenia, just redirect your focus and praise on God.

I know I make it sound easy, but I have been through some of the roughest struggles in my life and when someone first said that it sounded too good to be true and I suffered a lot for it.

God Bless,

Wayne

P.S. Seriously feel free to message me.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm not so sure that what you are describing is schizophrenia or even a cousin disorder. (How long has it been since you've had a complete physical? That would be where to begin, as some medical illnesses can cause some of your symptoms as well.)

The following signs are common:
  • Eccentric ideas
  • Erratic behavior (e.g., angry outbursts)
  • Loss of interest or volition
  • Persecutory thoughts
  • Poor hygiene
  • Social withdrawal
  • Strange emotional affect
Sometimes people who dissociate also hear voices --inner voices (those with schizoaffective disorders hear voices from outside themselves, they also can't tell what is reality much of the time.)

Why not try one of these self inventories, and see if you have some evidence of dissociation, also? Dissociative Experiences Scale

Upvote 0

pinkstars86

May 5, 2010
Kentucky
✟15,272.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
While your symptoms are concerning and should probably be looked into by a medical professional, I have to say, you do not sound schizophrenic to me. I am a nurse who works with mental illness daily. I really don't think in my 4 years on that floor anyone has ever said "I think I'm schizophrenic". Most schizophrenics truly do not think they have any illness and are quite paranoid. That's not to say that ALL are this way but the majority in my experience anyway.

Everyone's unique, as cheesey as that sounds. And I think a lot of people have thoughts sometimes of "not fitting in" with everyone else. I know I have. Not just in terms of actual "fitting in" in a crowd but that your way of thinking is just....not like everyone else's. And that may be, but not because of mental illness. Your social withdraw sounds more like depression to me. Schizophrenics withdrawl normally because they are paranoid of everyone else.

Concerning the voices, schizophrenics tend to hear an actual voice. As in, they will look ahead at something and have a conversation with thin air. Again, not all of them, but this is typical for their hallucinations. We all have "inner voices". I mean, I don't know how anyone else's brain works but my thoughts sound like me talking to myself sometimes lol. At the risk of sounding crazy myself, isn't this the norm? :D

But if you feel something isn't right, get it checked out. From what you're describing you won't be locked away. I understand your faith in the medical field, I myself have the same feelings. They are justified. But just go and see someone; like I said, very, very unlikely that they will hospitalize you for your symptoms. You are not dangerous to yourself or anyone else nor are you psychotic in a way that you've lost touch with reality. Good luck to you. :)

Upvote 0

JohnMarsten

Jul 18, 2011
✟9,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

You're symptoms doesnt sound that bad, actually they shouldnt be too harmful in regard to your daily routines... but I am not expert...

As far as your lack of interest is concerned, this could be a depression.

I would like to point out that its sometimes depressing to be a christian, when you have a look around the world there isnt much stuff that is uplifting, evil things happen on a daily basis, if you watch television you wont find too many positive things there, meeting people is also scary at times, as like someone posted people are cheesy and if they are not christian not only you might be misunderstood but it might be hard for you to accept those around you as they might stand up for things you despise as a christian.

Just as a hint, are there any reasons why you shouldnt accept yourself as a person? is there a feeling of guilt/unworthiness? Do you think that you are inferior to other people christians/non christians (alike)?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
A

All4HISglory

p1235 said:

With all that you said, you sound normal to me.

~Jrs_Lovely1 {iPad}

Upvote 0

Lyric4him

Jan 26, 2012
✟15,112.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I worked in the mental health field 4 years, it was at a club house, a day program. I did it all. As a minister I was allowed to hold services at the club on Sundays and also at a local park.Because my clients-members liked me a lot, they all showed up, so for a while I was the Pastor of over 30 people ALL were hearing voices, and on heavy medication, many got saved, but it was hard work. I did a lot of looking into chronic mental health and I found, a diagnosis can often be wrong. It was in Attleboro Ma, IN mass, they over medicate people to keep them out of the hospital. I had a few that did not take medication and they did the best. At a seminar the speaker was a DR. she was paranoid Schitzophrenia

, and she gave her story, going from being over medicating, to stopping all medication and used diet, she got her DR degree and is fine. The sad thing is the medications themselves, as they can cause one to get more ill. I am not against all medication, but I am against over medication and this is the norm.

You said an odd thing.

I am a non denominational minister, but am pentecostal, not a flake, all must be decent and in order, I have seen many neo -Charismatics that act like animals and laugh, fall scream, this is not the Holy Spirit, it is called the Kundalini new age practice from India, Andrew Strom from John the baptist T.V. web site has a great book and good YT vids that show the similarities of the two. I also posted them on my site under the 11.11 coming deception a must see. These could not be all ill, but demonized yes.

You, think you have an illness, maybe you do, I say do not take a lot of meds if any, I have seen both results first handed. Big pharma pushes these meds and there is no med that has a cure. Recent studies show it is an imbalance of what are called Cell salts, and diet can heal this as well as certain vitamins. It is sad, so many have mental illness, but remember a verse The lord has mercy on His afflicted ones, so accept Jesus and if yu are afflicted than he has a special mercy on his ones that are ill.

In Rom 8 we read and the holy spirit also helpeth us in all our infirmities...in the Greek the word in Rom 8 means a weakness of body or MIND, and so it is also with the help of the Holy Spirit one can find peace, comfort and real help, after all Jesus is the great Physician

Upvote 0
D

DreamerOfHearts

You should not be diagnosing yourself for schizophrenia. And you show you do not match many of the symptoms you claim to match by posting here (not social withdrawal), and by no means by the fact that your post is very well organized and thought out -- though your conclusions are erroneous.

As for inner voices, of course, Christians hear inner voices.

"Test the spirits", ask them if Jesus is Lord, if they refuse, then they are of Satan.

There is the Spirit through angels. Angels send us messages in our hearts and we may talk with them. (Angels may also appear in disguise externally, as Scripture states.)

Would modern doctors have labeled Jesus schizophrenic? His own mom said he was "out of his mind"....

Joan of Arc was a Christian and she heard a lot of voices.

Son of Sam, David Berkowitz, heard voices. They told him to maim and kill people and were open about saying they were demons. That kind of voice is totally different then angelic voices. Of course.

You seem stuck between believing "the world" and God.

And seem confused about listening to your own heart.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I know this isn't the place to ask for medical advice, but I have some concerns in my life, after reading about schizophrenia.

There is a reason we have doctors, and that reason is that if any of us looks in a medical textbook on any given condition we will start to believe that we have it.

Hearing an inner voice is normal. Having disorganised thoughts is normal. We all have them, but we don't all have them all the time.

There is a particular pattern of behaviours and symptoms specific to schizophrenia, that is not found in people without the condition. A doctor would be able to collect a range of information about you, and ascertain whether that pattern is present or not.

I am not a doctor, but it sounds to me as if you have some degree of depression, but not schizophrenia. You would need to see a doctor to find out whether this is a valid comment or not, though.

In the meantime, if you do not want to see a doctor but you want to improve your mood, then consider improving the quality of your diet, cutting out junk; smoking, alcohol etc and increasing the amount of sleep and exercise you take. Doing that won't hurt anyone, but will be particularly beneficial for anyone who is depressed, for whatever reason.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
And you show you do not match many of the symptoms you claim to match by posting here (not social withdrawal)

I am afraid you are mistaken on this one.

Posting on a message board is compatible with social withdrawal. It doesn't mean that everyone here is socially withdrawn, but many certainly will be.

Upvote 0