Missouri
✟7,860.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I just came home from an hour to two and half hour prayer meeting, I feel compelled to write some stuff down. In this prayer meeting, I really felt like God was moving and pushing me to something new.

I feel like many times, people view Christianity as a religion. I can understand why some people think this, but in my personal opinion, Christianity is not a religion. This idea has become a major problem in America. As Americans we try to make everything simple, everything compartmentalized. But Christianity is not something a person can put in a box. Christianity is not something I do on Sunday, or Wednesday, or Friday. No… Christianity is having a relationship with Jesus Christ. Christianity is a day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute way of living.

I am not religious, but I am a follower of Jesus Christ. I do not believe in religion, but I do believe in a real, authentic relationship with Jesus Christ. Yes, it is this that I thrive and live off of. I go to church on Sundays and attend church events because I want to fellowship with people who also have this kind of relationship. I do not go to church to be religious or to put my two cents towards God. That is not what church is about!

I really feel that people, in today’s society; especially in America; have lost touch of the real reason and purpose of Christianity. The idea/view of Christianity has changed and I think it is wrong. Christianity is about a relationship; not about saying a certain prayer, or attending every church service, or following all the rules. Yes… many Christians do these things, but it is because of their relationship with Christ that they do these things. We’ve turned it all around. Having a relationship with Christ motivates us to do these things. These are not the things that save us or get us to heaven.

During prayer tonight, I felt like God was leading me to a new place; a new kind of relationship, a new kind of Christianity. I feel like God is wanting to move in a new way in America, in our lives. God isn’t looking for Sunday school answer believers; He is looking for people who want to know Him; people who want to serve Him; people who want to worship Him; people who want to live for Him because of what He did when He sent His Son to die for us.

I feel like God is beginning to move in a new way and He wants people who are willing to live for Him. He is looking for people who are willing to spend time with Him; love Him and be changed and transformed by Him. Christ is wants you and He wants to fellowship with you. He loves you and he wants change your life! Christ is looking for followers who will take the truth and change this world.

Are you willing to follow Him and get to know the God who created you?

It's time we stopped standing next to the fire but jumped in and get burned! God is real and He wants to experience and encounter us... but we must jump! Are you ready to jump in and experience the God of the Universe? If you are, get ready because God is moving and He wants to take you along with him!

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
First, this isn't a new kind of Christianity. I've been hearing about this since before I was your age.

Second, Christianity may be a relationship, but it is also a religion. When you look at what a relationship with God really looks like, you will find unavoidably religious elements - faith, obedience, and prayer. It is religious, because He is God and we are humans. It is also relational, because these are how the Lord receives love from us (John 14:21). If you want to be a friend to God, you had better have right religion, or else He will not receive the love from you. When God receives love from you, it prompts Him to move closer towards you and share more with you.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Religion (first definition): a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Yes, Christianity is a religion.

However, part of said religion-ness is to be on good terms with God.

Upvote 0
Jun 15, 2007
✟15,251.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I just came home from an hour to two and half hour prayer meeting, I feel compelled to write some stuff down. In this prayer meeting, I really felt like God was moving and pushing me to something new.

I feel like many times, people view Christianity as a religion. I can understand why some people think this, but in my personal opinion, Christianity is not a religion. This idea has become a major problem in America. As Americans we try to make everything simple, everything compartmentalized. But Christianity is not something a person can put in a box. Christianity is not something I do on Sunday, or Wednesday, or Friday. No… Christianity is having a relationship with Jesus Christ. Christianity is a day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute way of living.

I am not religious, but I am a follower of Jesus Christ. I do not believe in religion, but I do believe in a real, authentic relationship with Jesus Christ. Yes, it is this that I thrive and live off of. I go to church on Sundays and attend church events because I want to fellowship with people who also have this kind of relationship. I do not go to church to be religious or to put my two cents towards God. That is not what church is about!

I really feel that people, in today’s society; especially in America; have lost touch of the real reason and purpose of Christianity. The idea/view of Christianity has changed and I think it is wrong. Christianity is about a relationship; not about saying a certain prayer, or attending every church service, or following all the rules. Yes… many Christians do these things, but it is because of their relationship with Christ that they do these things. We’ve turned it all around. Having a relationship with Christ motivates us to do these things. These are not the things that save us or get us to heaven.

During prayer tonight, I felt like God was leading me to a new place; a new kind of relationship, a new kind of Christianity. I feel like God is wanting to move in a new way in America, in our lives. God isn’t looking for Sunday school answer believers; He is looking for people who want to know Him; people who want to serve Him; people who want to worship Him; people who want to live for Him because of what He did when He sent His Son to die for us.

I feel like God is beginning to move in a new way and He wants people who are willing to live for Him. He is looking for people who are willing to spend time with Him; love Him and be changed and transformed by Him. Christ is wants you and He wants to fellowship with you. He loves you and he wants change your life! Christ is looking for followers who will take the truth and change this world.

Are you willing to follow Him and get to know the God who created you?

It's time we stopped standing next to the fire but jumped in and get burned! God is real and He wants to experience and encounter us... but we must jump! Are you ready to jump in and experience the God of the Universe? If you are, get ready because God is moving and He wants to take you along with him!

To make a long story short, you are non-denominational. Personally, thats the best way to go. I got out of that denomination sect a long time ago. Its stupid if you ask me.

Upvote 0

SillySeth

Jul 8, 2007
Missouri
✟7,860.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
By my post, I was not trying to say that Christianity is not a religion, by how you are stating. I may have implied that in the post, but I wasn't meaning in what your comments are implying.

Yes, Christianity is a religion; just like Buddhism, etc. What I was meaning, was how we look and live in Christianity. Those outside of the church, or a relationship with Christ, look to the church and Christians and they see church. In many of their minds, they picture organized religion and these leads them to a bad and negative view on Christianity.

I was just suggesting and stating the realization God put on my heart. This was, that I am NOT religious. God did not send his Son to die on the cross, to create a religion. NO!!!! He came so that we may be forgiven and have a personal relationship with God. So... yes.. you can fight me on this and say that CHRISTIANITY IS A RELIGION.

I, of course, will and can't say you're wrong. Because you are right. Christianity is a religion. The entire post was about how we need to shift our thinking and learn to live the way Christ did. We can't achieve this but Christ called us and wants us to strive towards that goal.

Philippians 3:12 "Not that I have already achieved this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me." Philippians 3:12

So.. anyway. Thank you all for commenting. I really appreciate hearing you're thoughts on the matter! I just felt I should clear up what I meant in my original post. Thank you all!

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
By my post, I was not trying to say that Christianity is not a religion, by how you are stating. I may have implied that in the post, but I wasn't meaning in what your comments are implying.
My mistake. I now apologize.

Yes, Christianity is a religion; just like Buddhism, etc. What I was meaning, was how we look and live in Christianity. Those outside of the church, or a relationship with Christ, look to the church and Christians and they see church. In many of their minds, they picture organized religion and these leads them to a bad and negative view on Christianity.
Ah, well, talking about the beliefs and theology of one Christian faith vs. another is different than talking about how we as Christians should live our lives.

I, of course, will and can't say you're wrong. Because you are right. Christianity is a religion. The entire post was about how we need to shift our thinking and learn to live the way Christ did. We can't achieve this but Christ called us and wants us to strive towards that goal.
Simple: dump the faith alone idea. Opens up the door for heresy and excuses for hedonistic lives. That and just be a good person around our fellow man whether Christian or not.

For all intents and purposes, yes, Christianity is a religion just like one of many. However, the life of a Christian or how a Christian should live is an entirely different subject on its own.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well, what you said sounded really clear-cut:

I am not religious, but I am a follower of Jesus Christ. I do not believe in religion, but I do believe in a real, authentic relationship with Jesus Christ.
If this is not what you meant, then you ought to change the way you say what you DID mean so as to not throw people off.

Upvote 0

SillySeth

Jul 8, 2007
Missouri
✟7,860.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My mistake. I now apologize.

Ah, well, talking about the beliefs and theology of one Christian faith vs. another is different than talking about how we as Christians should live our lives.

Simple: dump the faith alone idea. Opens up the door for heresy and excuses for hedonistic lives. That and just be a good person around our fellow man whether Christian or not.

For all intents and purposes, yes, Christianity is a religion just like one of many. However, the life of a Christian or how a Christian should live is an entirely different subject on its own.

I completely agree. Faith alone is dead. James 2:17 "In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead" James 2:17

That's the whole point of the original post. I didn't mean to focus on the part of Christianity now being a religion. The focus was supposed to be on how we should act and live within it. Becoming incarnational.

thanks for the post.

Upvote 0

SillySeth

Jul 8, 2007
Missouri
✟7,860.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I didn't think that was necessary. If you were to have read the entire post, you should have noticed the focus on the new way of living. I can't be perfect. I would just hope that as you read it, you would see the focus. I thought it was pretty clear.

I guess I was wrong. Sorry.

Thanks for giving me your thoughts straight up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
I

ImperialPhantom

I get the spirit of your post. Basically. people have put the religion aspect of Christianity, above the Jesus aspect. Even many non-denominationalists miss the point, claiming that it's a relationship, not a religion, but then trying to teach the religious "morals" and beat people over the head with it instead of sharing the good news of Jesus, living as a free and forgiven person, and letting God do the rest. The reason is simple: impatience with God's timing. It's, at the core, a lack of faith that God will come through, so they try to force the issue, and it backfires.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I get the spirit of your post. Basically. people have put the religion aspect of Christianity, above the Jesus aspect. Even many non-denominationalists miss the point, claiming that it's a relationship, not a religion, but then trying to teach the religious "morals" and beat people over the head with it instead of sharing the good news of Jesus, living as a free and forgiven person, and letting God do the rest. The reason is simple: impatience with God's timing. It's, at the core, a lack of faith that God will come through, so they try to force the issue, and it backfires.
Reminds me of that saying "you can attract more bees with honey than you can with vinegar".

Upvote 0

SillySeth

Jul 8, 2007
Missouri
✟7,860.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I personally believe that it is a way of thinking that needs to be changed. We view things in a compartamentalized way in this world, and God and His Kingdom can't and won't be compartamentalized... and thus, we ruin into a problem- where Christianity loses it's effect and soul... and bottom line, Jesus Christ.

We need faith. Faith is essential. Faith without works is dead. I posted another post on this forum a few days ago about love. Revolutionary love. Instead, in your words "beating people over the head", we should love... as Christ did! Love... and Jesus Christ are the answers to this world of darkness and pain.

We need to break free from our mundane routines and find freedom in Christ. We need to break free from the barriers of "organized religion" -(what people outside the church see) and find our true identity, our true calling, and our true relationship with Christ. May we break free and learn how to be an authentic expression of the Kingdom of God in the 21st century!

That's for commenting!

Upvote 0

SillySeth

Jul 8, 2007
Missouri
✟7,860.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think I actually agree with the OP's original intention of the entire post.

Christianity is a religion, don't get me wrong, but I think the intention here is to point out that people focus on the "religion" part far more than the "faith" part.

If that actually is Seth's intented message, then I'm definately in agreement.

~ Lynn

Well thank you. That was my intended message, but people took it the wrong way. That seems to always happen. I'm glad you are in agreement!

That you for commenting!

Upvote 0